Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM

341 posts, read 1,018,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Don't forget this is also a "tons of headquarters" city (second to Chicagoland). You really had a hard time job hunting? Wow!
New York New York 45
Houston Texas 22
Atlanta Georgia 12
Chicago Illinois 11
Dallas Texas 11
Minneapolis Minnesota 8
Philadelphia Pennsylvania 8
Charlotte North Carolina 7
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 7
St. Louis Missouri 7
Cincinnati Ohio 6
Milwaukee Wisconsin 6
Seattle Washington 6
Cleveland Ohio 5
Columbus Ohio 5
Fort Worth Texas 5
Los Angeles California 5
Omaha Nebraska 5
Richmond Virginia 5
San Antonio Texas 5
San Francisco California 5
FORTUNE 500 2007: Cities
NYC way ahead of any city for Fortune 500 HDQs, not Chicago.
And it looks like Dallas is #2 in Texas.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think DFW is one or two ahead of Houston..(not to start that again).

Old 07-19-2008, 09:01 AM

3,260 posts, read 8,759,681 times
its pretty fun!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:16 AM

869 posts, read 2,953,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
its pretty fun!
is that's why you announced your need to move away?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:26 PM

5 posts, read 16,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by why View Post
I would highly recommend you to find another place to plan on moveing. Especially since your from Florida, people in Fl. are alot more laid back, If you like stuck up people that walk around thinking they are better than you then this is your type of place. I have lived here in texas for 9 months and i can honestly say it is a horrible place to live. I would not recommend anyone to move here. Houses are cheap but so is the hospitality. I have to say i am a attractive 30 year old with 2 children a nice house and a new vehicle thanks to a fellow Texan totaling mine. I am a people person. And i have NEVER had problems making friends in Maryland where i am from. But here you would think i have two heads and i must say people here are not very bright i have been called a yankee too many times. I tried to introduce my self to my neighbors being i was going to be a at home mom and they shot me down and said they don't like out of staters. Which is also not very smart being majority of texans arent real TEXANS. I have never been treated this poorly in my life and i regret every moment i am here. THere is nothing to do and no real siteseeing. It is flat and BORING. The children are also very rude and have NO Manners. I think the school systems have NO clue there are other states in the US that they can teach except my 9 year old spends half the year learning about texas which has NO real history except maybe indians. I am sorry i came and when i get the hell out of here i will NEVER COME BACk. The bad thing is i am here for 7 years.
FInd another place to move.
As you can tell, I'm responding 3 years later to this forum, but here's my point of view...

Why - where in Texas do you live? Texas is a huge state, yet you didn't specify where you live. Since it is such a huge state, there are bound to be differences in mentality. From what I hear, the Dallas area is less friendly and Austin/San Antonio is more laid back. That may even depend where in the Dallas area one lives.

It's amazing, because I have found the exact opposite to be true regarding Texas vs. Maryland. I now live in central Texas (Austin area). I left Maryland a few months ago, and I have to tell you, I should have left many years ago. Maryland was an absolutely horrible experience. I can not believe how arrogant, snobbish, control freak, know it all, rude and obnoxious the people are. I can't express my disgust enough. This was mainly Central Maryland. People in southern Maryland may be a bit nicer, but then again, many of them are from out of state down there. The whole MD/Northern VA/DC area is a mess.

Many people who lived in Maryland who are from out of state said they have had a very difficult time making friends in Maryland, present company included. This may be the case with some areas in Texas. But I can tell you that Austin area is a lot better, so far, I have found that the people are laid back.

As far as Texas being flat, in the Austin area, you get both flat and hilly/mountainous areas. It all depends on where you live.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,159 times
I remember the term "yankee" used alot in 1968 (as a 9 yr old) when my family moved from DETROIT to ATLANTA. Much has changed I think (civil rights movement and nowdays more common that people move around). Now getting out of LosAngeles (talk about rude and congestion!)-10 years too long here. Just went to Dallas 2 weeks ago - to see about moving there. I found the people personable, friendly, and costs lower. Employment is stable (so far). Every place is different and sometimes you dont know till you move.
DFW/Plano is on my list to move.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,519 times
Take this from a 35 year old Dallas guy.... everytime I go to NYC, California... getting an attractive date with a beautiful educated woman is as easy as sitting down. They ask you out.

In Dallas.. be prepared for La wannabe pretentiousness. The normal people don't get out and explore culture here like they do in NYC, Chicago, you name it. They settle down. Just do this... go to plentyoffish.com do a search on women aged 25 -35 single in Dallas, TX... now go do one on Boston. The difference is night and day.

Dallas, Texas - divorced, 1 kid, HS education - the numbers are way higher
Boston, Mass - single, never been married, no kid, and 2 degrees...

It REALLY is amazing.

Love my state... love my family... find it hard to leave... but, I'm telling the truth.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:27 PM

198 posts, read 499,312 times
I am moving out of state next summer... Aside from my family, I won't miss Dallas all that much.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
North of Interstate 30 / downtown

Old 12-18-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,162 times
I agree with why wholeheatedly. I have lived/worked both in Dallas and other cities (mainly in the east). I understand the negative remarks about this city better now that I live here. First it has been difficult to get along with folks which is something I've never experienced elsewhere. Sure the initial hospitality/small talk has been mastered here but as for meaningful conversation and relationships - look elsewhere. It seems to be very culturally devoid and lacks even decent cuisine (exceptions of mexican/BBQ) Weather is a bit too warm for me, there is no scenery and the traffic is terrible. There seems to be a certain 'type' of typical family here and folks are somewhat fearful/unwelcoming to outsiders or folks not fitting the mold (please see responses to why and probably mine). Overall not very bright people and I work with some of the most educated. Never seen more obese folks in one place ever. Apologies to those I’ve insulted (not my intention) -just voicing my opinion and would not choose Dallas if there are other options available. I'll always remain a Cowboys fan though and one good thing about Dallas is the low cost of living and no state tax

GoPadge - since when is it a crime to offend someone ? announcing everytime you are offended does not increase your self-worth/importance

Which are the best parts of Dallas to live?North of I-30 for the most part
How are the job opportunities & employment rate?Better than average (US scale)
What are the best job fields for employment?Not sure – overall as a country IT and medical industries are currently the most robust, Energy, Finance and wholesale also
Any Job Opportunities for Corporate Trainer?I would say definitely
Any discrimiation for Jewish people?Dallas is very segregated - even compared to Houston
Crime Rate?Not sure (personally- car broken into once)
Which part of Dallas is considered to be the good areas as opposed to the bad areas?North – Good / South Bad (more crime in the south)

I realize this post is late in relation to the original ... Lyric777 -- how did you find it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas