U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:29 AM

2,231 posts, read 3,961,910 times
The FBI website says that it is not possible to compare one city's criminal danger to another based upon crime rates. Each city measures crimes in a different way, citizens report different percentages of their crimes, etc. The only purpose for crime rates is to compare a city to itself... is crime this year better than last year.

It looks like this thread has become a soapbox for the disgruntled in Dallas. The problem with listening to malcontents is that they rarely admit to the personal flaws and biases they carry. So you don't know if their discontent has any bearing on you, or anyone else.

To the one who thinks everyone in Dallas is rude... what are you doing that prompts a hostile reaction from others?

To those who complain because they don't fit in for one reason or another... when you move to a new city, it's going to be different from the old one... You may or may not like those differences, but the city is not going to change to suit you, you are the one who must either adjust, be unhappy or leave.

In practice, Dallas has grown from a medium sized town to a metropolis of 6 million people because so many people did find it to their liking.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 PM

15,968 posts, read 25,397,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavie View Post
I was transfered to Dallas a few years ago with my company. So many people here are rude! This is the most rude city I've ever lived in. It also has the highest crime rate of all metroplex areas nationwide. I am hoping to move back to Santa Barabara as soon as I can.

You must have lived in Highland Park, not Dallas.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,394,640 times
You know, this is why I think it's really paramount for people who are moving to sunbelt (sprawling) cities to JOIN something, anything, when they first move there, especially in a city the size of Dallas. It is so easy to become alienated in such a large city. It's not like the type of densely-packed urban environment where the world is at your doorstep. You really have to make an effort to become a part of things. This is true everywhere, but I think it is especially the case in cities that sprawl. There are many things going on, but unless you put forth the effort and seek them out, you may never realize there are many micro-worlds going on right under your nose.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:01 PM

709 posts, read 2,422,784 times
"Rude" people... Hmmmm... I happen to think quite the opposite. I can't help but laugh at that comment about "Rude" people because most of the Dallas population is not from Dallas. I think I'm one of the few people born and raised in the metroplex. I don't consider myself rude matter of fact many of my friends would probably tell you that I'm quite the opposite. I don't mean that in a conceit way either. I'm just trying to make a point.

Chavie, I'm sorry that you have not had a positive experience in the Dallas area. I hope you find what you are looking for. I can't imagine that it is any fun living where you are not happy.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:06 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,002,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
The FBI website says that it is not possible to compare one city's criminal danger to another based upon crime rates. Each city measures crimes in a different way, citizens report different percentages of their crimes, etc. The only purpose for crime rates is to compare a city to itself... is crime this year better than last year.

It looks like this thread has become a soapbox for the disgruntled in Dallas. The problem with listening to malcontents is that they rarely admit to the personal flaws and biases they carry. So you don't know if their discontent has any bearing on you, or anyone else.

To the one who thinks everyone in Dallas is rude... what are you doing that prompts a hostile reaction from others?

To those who complain because they don't fit in for one reason or another... when you move to a new city, it's going to be different from the old one... You may or may not like those differences, but the city is not going to change to suit you, you are the one who must either adjust, be unhappy or leave.

In practice, Dallas has grown from a medium sized town to a metropolis of 6 million people because so many people did find it to their liking.

So true, so true. I know that the Texas boards and another state are where two posters in particular have a very hated view of Texas and Texans. Even on the other state's board they bash it to no end but what most do not know are the personal problems dwelling w/in. I only found/stumbled upon the "problem" when I saw their other posts and of course it was one of those "well duh, no matter where YOU move your not going to like it" moments. Think about it. If you and your spouse are having issues and things are rocky how do you think moving to another state half way across the country is going to help matters? With that move comes a spouse that for the most part in your home state was not home for most of the day and now all of a sudden they are. Not going to be a pretty picture no matter how GREAT a place you move to is. Naturally one is going to blame outside sources for problems and being in a new environment is only making it an easy target. That is why whenever someone hops on here and starts in right away bashing the place I look up their other posts. Gives a better picture of their point of view. Kind of like reading travel or consumer reviews. There are some people that are NEVER going to be happy and those are the "reviews" that I dismiss right off the bat and know that their "opinion" is extremely biased for some reason and/or they are just a very discontent person that is set on hating everything.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 PM

55 posts, read 107,669 times
You hit the nail on the head. We're doing the legwork prior to leaving the DC area regarding the job. We aren't selling our current home nor will we purchase one in Dallas until the job thing is settled. We're lucky, my husband is in specialized IT and has what Dallas employers are looking for. Still, it's been a struggle getting through. It's another world. Here, recruiters call every day. It's hard to get Dallas recruiters to call back because they aren't sure if you're serious about moving or not. We've pushed and now interviews are scheduled.

Life is not all roses and chocolates anywhere. I love Miami, but I couldn't live there. It doesn't suit our day to day lifestyle. It's a great place to vacation, though. Dallas is a place to work, make friends, shop..and have a different life than we do in DC. We don't hate where we live now, but we can appreciate that a change would do us good. It's not at all completely about the cheaper housing. It's a combination of things. Is there a trade-off, moving from a blue state to a red one? Sure. Will there be growing pains and wistful memories of Maryland? Maybe. But we'll get over it. Not all people are all good or all bad. Dallas is a city of transplants. We'll find our niche.

I've lived here all of my life. It's scary to uproot and live a different life. But remember, wherever we go, we take ourselves with us. If you are unhappy in one state, there is no guarantee that a move will cure that.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:57 PM

109 posts, read 424,693 times
Well said, HeadingtoTexas. I've lived a few different places... its all about your attitude. You can't sit home & whine. Just do what you do, continue on with your life in a happy & positive manner and you will meet new people and make new friends. I started over 10 years ago here in NoVA...the only person I knew then was my exhusband... had to make friends, date, etc. & keep going. Just like I did on our tour in Frankfurt (with my hubby), except that was a lot harder because I had to learn German!
When you make the move to a new place you can't allow yourself to mope... OR set your expectations too high. IMHO, it takes about 18 months to completely adjust, meet folks, get settled in and accept your new surroundings.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:45 PM

55 posts, read 107,669 times
That's just it. You had to be willing to adapt a bit when you move to a new place. It can be depressing. Certainly. But make the most of it.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:19 AM

2,231 posts, read 3,961,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
So true, so true. I know that the Texas boards and another state are where two posters in particular have a very hated view of Texas and Texans. Even on the other state's board they bash it to no end but what most do not know are the personal problems dwelling w/in.
The people who hate Texans are really no different than people who hate Jews or despise African-Americans. They are all bigots.

A bigot is basically motivated by his own failure to realize his problems, and his interest in blaming someone else for them.

What to do about them? Well, in extreme cases they are forced to publicly apologize, are fired from their jobs, or publicly shunned. Nobody tries to reason with them. Bigoted comments on a public Internet forum are often pulled by a moderator, or get hostile and derisive comments from other forum members.

Is everybody in Dallas rude to Chavie? Maybe he/she has it coming?

Old 06-03-2007, 09:30 AM

609 posts, read 2,084,567 times
Wow, some heated discussions on this thread.

I'm not from DFW originally, but I've become very pro-DFW after living here for 4 years. IT's a great MSA. It is home to 6.03 million people, and if you add the other 4 counties being considered for the 2010 census, it raises it up to around 6.4 million people. ONe thing that struck me when I first moved here (and I'm from the north) is how friendly everyone was. Saying "hello" randomly on the street or on the sidewalk is not unusual. As for DFW being a city of people from everywhere else...I tend to believe that...but I like to compare it to Florida. Florida is full of New Yorkers. DFW is full of NY and Cali, but I would also say that the Midwest has a very big representation here...like NYkers went to Florida, lots of Midwesterners migrated down to DFW. Midwesterners by nature are very nice as well.

I do believe across this country, that most people by nature are nice. Some maybe more reserved depending on what area you are from, but most are nice. Even in NYC, which gets a bad rap for being "rude"...lots of people are nice there...but given the population size, culturally tend to keep to themselves, but I have lots of friends from NYC area, once you get to know them, they end up being really nice people...but the barrier that is put up maybe a result of the high density city life. Now I know there will be those on this thread that will say that NYC people are just plain rude...that's fine...lots of assertiveness in the high dense manhattan...but I think if you get to know these people, they end up being nice people.

Having said all that, I do believe DFW is a very welcoming place on the whole.
I'm still not sure as to why there is so much negative feelings a/b Texas....it might stem from the fact that we as Texans tend to be open a/b being proud of our state than others who are more silently proud of theirs...who knows...but growing up in the Midwest, I would also hear negative impressions a/b Texas too until I finally moved here for job reasons....when I was choosing relocation cities, I chose here b/c I felt this was a pro growth state, a state with friendly people, and a state with very nice modern cities with unlimited growth potential.

So to answer the questions of the author of this thread:

areas in the Metroplex (DFW area) that I like:

For suburbs:
Las Colinas/Valley Ranch/Coppell
Plano/Allen
Southlake

FOr urban living:
Uptown
Knox/Henderson
Preston Center
The "future uptown Ft. Worth"
Downtown Las Colinas (undergoing massive growth)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas