U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2015, 02:38 PM

38 posts, read 44,516 times

Advertisements

First let me say I've been reading through a few of the Dallas threads and there are some very cool and super-helpful people on these boards. I've already learned quite a bit, so thanks.

I'm looking at potential relocation to Dallas from LA, job would be near the 408 and 20 intersection (zip 75236), just north of Duncanville. Any suggestions where to start looking for a single-family home around 200k? Looking for suburbs, maybe something close to water if possible, schools not a factor. Local entertainment isn't a huge deal since I'm already used to driving to the city for that. I'm not super-concerned about commuting if it means a better home, although I'd prefer not to.

Duncanville seems like an obvious choice, but I don't see a ton of info dedicated to that particular area.

Please let me know if you need more info. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 02:44 PM

5,095 posts, read 3,798,035 times
Recommend you focus on housing near Joe Poole Lake in Grand Prairie (some neighborhoods near the lake in GP are in Mansfield ISD and that's good, example Friendship Meadows subdivision) or Cedar Hill. I am not a fan of Duncanville; it borders some not very nice areas and seems to be going downhill to me.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:54 PM

Thanks, I am checking out that area right now. I should have also mentioned, looking for relatively low HOAs ($100 or less, is that reasonable for the area?). And my current commute is around 1 hr. to travel 27 miles, so anything less would be a bonus.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 PM

57 posts, read 68,435 times
Good luck.

Relocated here 4 years ago from Los Angeles and still regret it. Have made a lot of good friends, but still miss the healthy beach lifestyle I had.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,577,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAstris View Post
Good luck.

Relocated here 4 years ago from Los Angeles and still regret it. Have made a lot of good friends, but still miss the healthy beach lifestyle I had.
You can have a healthy lifestyle anywhere but I don't think anyone ever moves to Dallas expecting a beach. Luckily, the airports here provide a solution to that issue.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:54 AM

Yeah, the wife and I are nearing our 50's, and while we do hit up the beach every now and then we aren't going nearly as often as we used to. Not to mention I'm originally from an area (Sacramento) with more lake amenities than ocean amenities.

Same goes for other LA-oriented entertainment, we're not exactly night owls and don't go clubbing. Our favorite things to do are antique/thrift shopping (her) and sports (me), seems like there's plenty of both in Dallas.

Funny thing about the HOAs, I was looking at a few properties and my eyes were popping out of my head until I realized they were annual fees. I'm currently paying $100/mo., which is extremely low for my area, but it seems like there's nothing in the Dallas area that approaches that.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:16 PM

5,095 posts, read 3,798,035 times
for homes in the $200K's, you are not likely to have high HOA fees at all unless you are in a gated community with amenities, and typically homes in those communities are higher priced.

The best traffic patterns for your work location will be east of Duncanville (North Oak Cliff) or North of Duncanville (Irving), however the areas around Joe Poole Lake will most likely give you the better neighborhoods for your money. Again, I would focus on Cedar Hill or Southwest Grand Prairie (Mansfield ISD). You should be able to make it to work from there in about 30 minutes, maybe less.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:51 PM

4 posts, read 3,339 times
The only problem with Oak Cliff is the crime, the closer you are in proximity to Dallas, the more crime you will find. Areas like Mansfield are close to Joe Pool and they are communities that look like a small town but are like a big city. Do what you feel you have to do for your lifestyle.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM

57 posts, read 68,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
You can have a healthy lifestyle anywhere but I don't think anyone ever moves to Dallas expecting a beach. Luckily, the airports here provide a solution to that issue.
Yes, I'll get right back to running marathons after I finish scraping myself off the road from the crazy drivers and awful weather.

Your attitude reminds of why I regret moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or