U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:50 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,109,796 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I haven't noticed.

Then again, we don't get to go out much with a baby, and when we do, that's just not on my radar of things to look at!

We've been here 7 months, and to be perfectly frank, haven't really seen much of Prosper at all, because I work at home or in McKinney, so we're always heading the other direction. We've been to Frontier Park a few times, and we just went to the new BBQ place, "Chefs on Scene" and enjoyed it... but had to eat fast since my darling little daughter decided to throw a fit the whole time.

Have driven through a few new housing developments to see what's being built, but other than that, our exploration of Prosper is confined to Google searches! I'm sure one of these days we'll get a chance to explore a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,959 times
Thanks all for feedback and advice much appreciated! Will be in this weekend to look at both areas. Finding a larger lot in Prosper within budget is a challenge. May have to go Celina which still sounds solid. What do yall think of Highland Meadows in Prosper, Morgan Lakes and Wildwood in Celina?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:44 PM

87 posts, read 85,648 times
I need info about rentals in Prosper. Estates of Prosper seem very affordable, do they have any section 8 units? My maid wants to move there to be close to her daughter who lives with some family as a nanny.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:28 PM

13 posts, read 16,000 times
Just moved to Dallas and looking for new home in Celina/ Propser and it seems like places like Windsong Ranch and other Non-MUD/PID communities have just blown out of proportion with 3000-3500 sq ft homes ranging between 500 and 600K.

I am considering a home that falls under City of Celina but is a Prosper mailing address and is zoned to Propser ISD (infact Windsong Ranch Elementary). Dont ask me how but thats what it is!

The inventory home is originally listed at $475K but is reduced down by about 65K to $410K and it has everything that I need. The community is close to DNT and I work from home so not a big deal about traffic.

Couple of questions:
1. What is the usual discount people get around this area from list price for available inventory homes? Am I doing OK at about 13% off list price. I havent negotiated at all yet and the inventory is strong so I am suspecting I might be able to knock off a couple of percent more.

2. Those who have seen the growth of Frisco, McKinney Prosper, what are your thoughts about those communities in South Celina that are zoned to the Prosper ISD? Would they be considered part of Prospser on the whole specially if they are zoned to Prosper ISD.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:29 AM

62 posts, read 40,941 times
Not sure about the inventory discount . The new developments in Celina that are Prosper ISD are becoming very desirable. They are in a very prime spot for the area, with already established areas around them ensuring you won't soon be surrounded by retail or apts. Celina is the boom town, Prosper is better developed at this point but Celina is growing fast and expected to be the largest city in Collin county eventually.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:01 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,158,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maudlin2001 View Post

2. Those who have seen the growth of Frisco, McKinney Prosper, what are your thoughts about those communities in South Celina that are zoned to the Prosper ISD? Would they be considered part of Prospser on the whole specially if they are zoned to Prosper ISD.
If they are in the city of Celina (they are), then they are part of Celina and not Prosper. School zones don't follow city boundaries here so that is quite common. Some houses in Little Elm are zoned to Frisco schools, for instance.

Between those two cities (I grew up in Prosper) I would pick Prosper ISD. Living in either city is a toss-up, though I would probably pick Prosper just because I grew up with a rivalry against Celina and I'm not that fond of the town.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
If they are in the city of Celina (they are), then they are part of Celina and not Prosper. School zones don't follow city boundaries here so that is quite common. Some houses in Little Elm are zoned to Frisco schools, for instance.

Between those two cities (I grew up in Prosper) I would pick Prosper ISD. Living in either city is a toss-up, though I would probably pick Prosper just because I grew up with a rivalry against Celina and I'm not that fond of the town.
I would agree with you on Prosper having the feel, but for some reason that communtiy will pay tax to city of Celina however the postal address and the schools are Prosper ISD and I think its perfectly placed close to prosper. Don't see a lot of apartments coming there, doesnt make sense from commute point of view, but a good point and I will check the plans.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Not sure about the inventory discount . The new developments in Celina that are Prosper ISD are becoming very desirable. They are in a very prime spot for the area, with already established areas around them ensuring you won't soon be surrounded by retail or apts. Celina is the boom town, Prosper is better developed at this point but Celina is growing fast and expected to be the largest city in Collin county eventually.
Anyone paying full retail price for home in Celina would be making a mistake. I am assuming the builder (not production builder in our area) has 30% margin in first phase to keep a good hedge.Why not try to reduce it by 10-15%, if you are persistent and can find that home thats becoming a thorn in their behind, I would say 20% is possible.

Old 08-23-2017, 10:23 PM

104 posts, read 89,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maudlin2001 View Post
Just moved to Dallas and looking for new home in Celina/ Propser and it seems like places like Windsong Ranch and other Non-MUD/PID communities have just blown out of proportion with 3000-3500 sq ft homes ranging between 500 and 600K.

I am considering a home that falls under City of Celina but is a Prosper mailing address and is zoned to Propser ISD (infact Windsong Ranch Elementary). Dont ask me how but thats what it is!

The inventory home is originally listed at $475K but is reduced down by about 65K to $410K and it has everything that I need. The community is close to DNT and I work from home so not a big deal about traffic.

Couple of questions:
1. What is the usual discount people get around this area from list price for available inventory homes? Am I doing OK at about 13% off list price. I havent negotiated at all yet and the inventory is strong so I am suspecting I might be able to knock off a couple of percent more.

I assume you are talking about Light Farms. It's a great community and it gets a big plus for being in Prosper ISD although technically it's in Celina.

Prosper schools are having a lot of trouble keeping up with the new influx of people. There's very few businesses in Prosper which means that property tax rates are high to support the schools. New business developments at the Gates of Prosper (including Walmart) should help but Prosper is very underserved in terms of businesses relative to the population growth. Hell we just got our first grocery store a little over a year ago and Celina (with less than 1/3 the population of Prosper) has had a Brookshires store for years!

Light Farms has its own elementary but it's way over capacity so that's why newer arrivals are zoned for Windsong (which is also filling up quickly).

I hear rumors that long term Light Farms is supposed to get another elementary school or two along with a middle school. Windsong Ranch will also get a middle school. 2 new high schools are planned out over the next decade as well.

One thing that irritates me in Prosper is their stupid train situation. There's a train track which splits Prosper in half north to south, and there's no overpass in Prosper over the train track until you get to 380. It's very common for trains to stop in the middle of the morning rush hour and completely block the intersection for 30 minutes or more, forcing people to make U turns and find another way around.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,158,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
One thing that irritates me in Prosper is their stupid train situation. There's a train track which splits Prosper in half north to south, and there's no overpass in Prosper over the train track until you get to 380. It's very common for trains to stop in the middle of the morning rush hour and completely block the intersection for 30 minutes or more, forcing people to make U turns and find another way around.
Frisco, and lots of other towns around there, have the same issue. The train tracks cut across Main Street/downtown and the DNT service road. I've only managed to get caught a few times but I try and avoid those routes completely. Luckily I lived on the east side of Prosper growing up so I never had to venture across them to go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or