Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 06:45 PM

13 posts, read 29,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by platon20 View Post
I assume you are talking about Light Farms. It's a great community and it gets a big plus for being in Prosper ISD although technically it's in Celina.

Prosper schools are having a lot of trouble keeping up with the new influx of people. There's very few businesses in Prosper which means that property tax rates are high to support the schools. New business developments at the Gates of Prosper (including Walmart) should help but Prosper is very underserved in terms of businesses relative to the population growth. Hell we just got our first grocery store a little over a year ago and Celina (with less than 1/3 the population of Prosper) has had a Brookshires store for years!

Light Farms has its own elementary but it's way over capacity so that's why newer arrivals are zoned for Windsong (which is also filling up quickly).

I hear rumors that long term Light Farms is supposed to get another elementary school or two along with a middle school. Windsong Ranch will also get a middle school. 2 new high schools are planned out over the next decade as well.

One thing that irritates me in Prosper is their stupid train situation. There's a train track which splits Prosper in half north to south, and there's no overpass in Prosper over the train track until you get to 380. It's very common for trains to stop in the middle of the morning rush hour and completely block the intersection for 30 minutes or more, forcing people to make U turns and find another way around.
The communities in my list are Light Farms, Creeks of Legacy, Windsong Ranch(though out budgeted there even with lower taxes), Lakes of Prosper (slightly more than what I spend but I can get there) and Artesia.

Any guidance on there. I work from home so there is no commute in the family right but if wife decides to work it will be in the local area.

In particular what are you current and 10 year thoughts about creek of legacy and light farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 01:31 PM

455 posts, read 578,512 times
I lived in Lakes of Prosper for about 4 years, I really enjoyed it. Light Farms is ok if you don't mind a really small yard.

My opinion is that the Creeks of Legacy area is going to look a lot like Frisco in 10 years, I personally would want to stay east of DNT. Im sure Lakes of Prosper and Light Farms will have huge price increases once DNT is finally built out.

Old 09-02-2017, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 15,336 times
Similar situation here.

Looking in the 400-475k range, preferably 2-story with 2400-3k sqft.

Back and forth between Windsong, Light Farms, Lakes of Prosper, Prairie View (Prosper ISD), Mustang Lakes (Prosper ISD) and the upcoming Star Trail community.

Main concern is buying at the top of the market in a community that is 50% or less built out.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:53 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
Similar situation here.

Looking in the 400-475k range, preferably 2-story with 2400-3k sqft.

Back and forth between Windsong, Light Farms, Lakes of Prosper, Prairie View (Prosper ISD), Mustang Lakes (Prosper ISD) and the upcoming Star Trail community.

Main concern is buying at the top of the market in a community that is 50% or less built out.
Trust your concern. I think the market is starting to slow down. There will be deals to be had as well.
When people who live out there lose their local jobs and have to work in Dallas or other cities further
away, for sale signs go up quick. Nobody wants to deal with that long commute.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:01 AM

4 posts, read 15,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Trust your concern. I think the market is starting to slow down. There will be deals to be had as well.
When people who live out there lose their local jobs and have to work in Dallas or other cities further
away, for sale signs go up quick. Nobody wants to deal with that long commute.
I'll likely wait until Spring and reevaluate then, but we have Chase and Liberty Mutual HQs opening towards the end of the year with another 7-10k employees.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:56 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalvert86 View Post
I'll likely wait until Spring and reevaluate then, but we have Chase and Liberty Mutual HQs opening towards the end of the year with another 7-10k employees.
True, it just depends on when you have to buy. How long you can wait. Recessions come every 9 years on average. Guess where we are now? The housing maket is certainly slowing down in that price range right now.
If the economy slows down, there will be great deals to be had.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:01 PM

68 posts, read 149,997 times
Quit waiting and buy. Normal recession is every 7 years, we are 2 years past that with a stock market hitting record highs every week , and with tax reform coming. When the recession comes, this area will be the last to feel any effect, if we do at all. There are too many people moving here to keep waiting on buying. Celina is expected to be the biggest city in Collin County in 25 years, thst tells you all you need to know

Old 09-04-2017, 09:03 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Celina is expected to be the biggest city in Collin County in 25 years, thst tells you all you need to know
Not sure where you are getting that... McKinney has the largest land area and is expected to be bigger than Plano or Frisco. Total population at build-out was estimated at just under 400k.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:18 AM

68 posts, read 149,997 times
Celina has the largest land area of any city in Collin county. And is projected to be the most populated city in all long term models .

Old 09-04-2017, 10:05 AM

786 posts, read 1,222,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBL60 View Post
Celina has the largest land area of any city in Collin county. And is projected to be the most populated city in all long term models .
This is patently false. katana is correct McKinney is projected to be the largest city in CoCo at build out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: