U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 07:40 PM

5,982 posts, read 7,546,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks Johnw2. That's exactly how I felt too. He keeps shooting in the dark and charges me. Now since I asked if it will really fix the issue, he says he would be safe than sorry, so get 2nd opinion. I called another company, they would add the service call fee($30) to repair cost if they end up fixing it.

If I have him replace TXV, it will cost me $200. If it doesn't fix the issue, I end up paying another company.
I think I should get a 2nd opinion, so I know it wont be something less expensive fix? I am confused now? I guess I can suck it up the $30.

He works for this company. But asked me to give review about his service after the first visit when he fixed the issue temporarily(for 2 days).
I agree with your gut on second opinion. I use an hvac guy who I the owner but does most of the work himself but get help for new installs or other big jobs. Glad to confuse you further with another option/ name if that appeals,to you now or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 05:10 PM

620 posts, read 538,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I agree with your gut on second opinion. I use an hvac guy who I the owner but does most of the work himself but get help for new installs or other big jobs. Glad to confuse you further with another option/ name if that appeals,to you now or later.
Update.

New tech stopped by, started trash talking the old guy as soon as I told him what happened so far. He said TXV was good but Freon was low. He added 2 lbs. The old guy added Freon as well 3 days ago. Not sure if there is a leak. I asked him if he could test for leak before adding Freon. He said he have to call the tester guy for that and that would cost couple hundred bucks. Also wanted to schedule follow up visit in a month for Freon testing. I felt he was trying to sell me all the crap they do and persistently trying to schedule follow up visit. I guess in case if there is a leak, he could get the contract to fix it as well. I am not sure whom to trust now. I will wait and see how it goes. The old tech told me to get rid of the 4 inch filter as it restricts air flow.The new guy told me to put it back on.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM

30,035 posts, read 34,742,704 times
Personally I don't care for the 4in filters. I use the 90 day, 1in but you have to make sure you change it regularly. Don't buy the real cheap kind either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas