Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 01:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times

Advertisements

Demand For Downtown Dallas Grows - D Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 09:03 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
I like this in theory, but in practice, Downtown pales in comparison to Uptown. The nightlife is more abundant in Uptown. In terms of nightlife, Downtown is more of an acquired taste.

I would much rather see this sort of development though than suburban sprawl. 10,000 to 11,000 living in Downtown isn't all that much though.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:27 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I like this in theory, but in practice, Downtown pales in comparison to Uptown. The nightlife is more abundant in Uptown. In terms of nightlife, Downtown is more of an acquired taste.

I would much rather see this sort of development though than suburban sprawl. 10,000 to 11,000 living in Downtown isn't all that much though.
I think that number is only counting the CBD, not all of Downtown. Downtown has a long way to go, but those of us who have lived in the area for a long time can appreciate how far downtown has come. 15 years ago almost no one lived in Downtown. Downtown saw a mass exodus of jobs from the 80's to the early 2000's but that has also turned around. Plus, the office vacancy rate is at it's lowest level since the 80's. I'm really proud of the turnaround Downtown Dallas experiencing. When you factor out other Texas city's jail population, Dallas is leading over all of them in downtown population, and growing!

Downtown Dallas:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Dallas-TX.html
Population - 12,855
[no downtown jail population]

Downtown Austin:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...Austin-TX.html
Population - 7226
[9595-2369(inmates in downtown)]
http://www.city-data.com/city/Austin-Texas.html

Downtown San Antonio:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ntonio-TX.html
Population - 4903

Downtown Houston:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ouston-TX.html
Population - 3732
[12457-8725(inmates in downtown)]
http://www.city-data.com/city/Houston-Texas.html

Downtown Fort Worth:
http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...-Worth-TX.html
Population - 3635
[7192-3537(inmates in downtown )]
http://www.city-data.com/city/Fort-Worth-Texas.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd5zN...e_gdata_player

Old 07-14-2015, 10:02 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
That's all? Tiny. More people lived in small town Oklahoma where I grew up than this. Must be a small subset of the area the CD Dallas boosters talk about...

Old 07-14-2015, 10:28 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
That's all? Tiny. More people lived in small town Oklahoma where I grew up than this. Must be a small subset of the area the CD Dallas boosters talk about...
What's your point? Downtown is tiny in land area, and unfortunately was redeveloped in the 50' and 60's as a single use office park. That is now changing, and it's becoming mixed-use. I doubt your small home town had a day time population of close to 200,000. Downtown Dallas is the largest employment center in North Texas, and it's great that workers now have an option to live closer to their jobs. Last year Downtown Dallas lead the region in office leasing, so I expect the number of employees to increase even more, as more and more young professionals choose to live in the core of the city, employers will follow the talent.

Downtown Dallas rebound brings most office leasing since 1980s | Dallas Morning News

Quote:
Last year there was more office leasing in downtown Dallas than in any of the area’s suburban business districts.

Downtown property owners and economic development officials see the surge in office demand as payoff for years of reinvestment in the central business district.

The downtown turnaround is bringing more residents and retail shoppers back to the city’s core, stakeholders say.
These weren't the call center type jobs that are moving in up north either...

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 07-14-2015 at 10:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
There are times the facts make the point and then there is this time. I was surprised how small the population is the point.

Toyota a call center? Really that's your point? Wow.

Maybe I was the only one surprised by the population figure. Your point about the small land size helped put the article in perspective for those of us who do not focu on inner city things.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 07-15-2015 at 04:52 AM..

Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 AM

207 posts, read 275,363 times
Quote:
There are times the facts make the point and then there is this time. I was surprised how small the population is the point.

Toyota a call center? Really that's your point? Wow.

Maybe I was the only one surprised by the population figure. Your point about the small land size helped put the article in perspective for those of us who do not focu on inner city things.
Not sure what you're surprised about unless you don't understand the specific location they're talking about.

The CBD (inside the highway loops Woodall/I-345/mixmaster) = 9,000 today (200 in 1990)

The overall downtown population = 38,000
This includes Uptown, the CBD, Victory Park, Deep Ellum, Baylor, Cedars, Design District

13,000 more live in Oak Lawn/Knox-Henderson/Fitzhugh Corridor

So, in all the districts you have about 52,000 people

By 4Q 2017/1Q 2018, DTD (inside the loop) will have about 14,000 people

The entire Downtown Area will then have 66,000 people located within 8.5 sq mi (Just slightly larger than Mansfield in 36.5 sq mi)

Old 07-15-2015, 09:45 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,464 times
Quote:
The way people on here talk about downtown you'd think there were 200 people living there. 9000 is pretty big and there are lots of units under construction with more on the drawing board. I'm more surprised its the largest downtown population in Texas.

Old 07-15-2015, 10:07 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
I'm surprised by the small figures ONLY because downtown is so lively, most any time of any day of the week. We now have a true, living downtown that is only getting better. The best is yet to come!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:32 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
I'm surprised by the small figures ONLY because downtown is so lively, most any time of any day of the week. We now have a true, living downtown that is only getting better. The best is yet to come!

You've got to be kidding me. Downtown is a "ghost town" after 5 pm when people head home from work.

Has a long way to go before it can be called lively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas