U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 07:42 PM

619 posts, read 534,841 times

Advertisements

I am having issues with my AC for the last few days. I have 2 units, one for main floor and one upstairs. Called in a tech. He fixed the unit that cools upstairs, turned out the shut off valve to prevent flooding from condensation overflow(i guess) clogged and it cut off the unit. Unclogging it fixed the issue.

But the main unit also started acting up lately, it works sometimes but not always. He said the TXV (thermostatic expansion valve) wasn't connected properly or got disconnected or something that it wasn't kicking in the unit. He fixed it and the unit turned right back on. Worked for 2 days, now back to same story again, won't cool down the house. All day, I set up the thermostat for 74 and it was reading 80F. Called him back, he said everything looks all right and he couldn't find any fault anywhere but it just wont cool down like it used to. Finally he ended up refilling Freon assuming that would make any difference. Two and a half hours later, still the thermostat reads about 79F set to 73F. Now he states the TXV might be faulty, needs to be replaced. I paid him $135 for the first time visit, today he charged another $165 for Freon, I said I am not sure if the issue is resolved and I am paying $300 already. He told me to wait until tonight and if it still didn't resolve the issue, he will waive $165 and instead replace the TXV and will only charge for the replacement (another $200) assuming the part is still under warranty.

I am not sure, if I should get a 2nd opinion or keep spending more money on this guy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My house is 4000 sq ft, and the attic is super hot during daytime. I am thinking about installing an attic fan, will it help decrease the load for the HVAC unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:42 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,133,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
I am having issues with my AC for the last few days. I have 2 units, one for main floor and one upstairs. Called in a tech. He fixed the unit that cools upstairs, turned out the shut off valve to prevent flooding from condensation overflow(i guess) clogged and it cut off the unit. Unclogging it fixed the issue.

But the main unit also started acting up lately, it works sometimes but not always. He said the TXV (thermostatic expansion valve) wasn't connected properly or got disconnected or something that it wasn't kicking in the unit. He fixed it and the unit turned right back on. Worked for 2 days, now back to same story again, won't cool down the house. All day, I set up the thermostat for 74 and it was reading 80F. Called him back, he said everything looks all right and he couldn't find any fault anywhere but it just wont cool down like it used to. Finally he ended up refilling Freon assuming that would make any difference. Two and a half hours later, still the thermostat reads about 79F set to 73F. Now he states the TXV might be faulty, needs to be replaced. I paid him $135 for the first time visit, today he charged another $165 for Freon, I said I am not sure if the issue is resolved and I am paying $300 already. He told me to wait until tonight and if it still didn't resolve the issue, he will waive $165 and instead replace the TXV and will only charge for the replacement (another $200) assuming the part is still under warranty.

I am not sure, if I should get a 2nd opinion or keep spending more money on this guy.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My house is 4000 sq ft, and the attic is super hot during daytime. I am thinking about installing an attic fan, will it help decrease the load for the HVAC unit?
1. Powered attic fans help a lot.
2. How old are your units?

Old 07-19-2015, 06:21 AM

5,089 posts, read 3,784,990 times
i would stick with the guy you have been using.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
1. Powered attic fans help a lot.
2. How old are your units?

Thanks for the response. I was thinking about getting solar powered ones.
The unit that's acting up is new, may be 2-3 years old. I bought the house last summer, so not quite sure.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitynity View Post
Thanks for the response. I was thinking about getting solar powered ones.
The unit that's acting up is new, may be 2-3 years old. I bought the house last summer, so not quite sure.
I don't know anything about solar fans. We had 5 AC powered fans at our house in Plano they help considerably.

Is your guy from the place that installed the units?

Regardless, like WorldKlas I'd stick with the guy you've got.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:04 PM

29,965 posts, read 34,568,659 times
Power attic fans burn out the motors in a few years and you'll never know it's not working, that's why builders don't do them.

You are better off with a some type of exhaust that is static and has no motor.

You may have inadequate ventilation and need to get an expert to look at. You may not have enough intake and if so even a powered fan can't draw the air needed for circulation.

Old 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Power attic fans burn out the motors in a few years and you'll never know it's not working, that's why builders don't do them.

You are better off with a some type of exhaust that is static and has no motor.

You may have inadequate ventilation and need to get an expert to look at. You may not have enough intake and if so even a powered fan can't draw the air needed for circulation.
Builders don't use them often because they cost 3x or 4x what a passive device costs plus wiring.

Anyone who can open their attic access and see their powered vents can tell with a flashlight at worst, 75% of the time you can simply look on a hot day and tell, if the fan is working or not.

The bearings die usually long before the motor itself craps out. A tiny bit of oil every couple of years will keep the fans going 15/20 years often. Replacement motors made by McMillen cost less than $50 bucks and can be replaced in 5 minutes if needed - I've done it.

I've got 4 in my current house that have worked flawlessly for more than 5 years. I had 5 in our old house in Pano that worked fine from 1999 -2007. I had to replace 1 motor then and so far as I know they still work.

The bottom line is on hot days powered vents work many times better than passive vents.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:06 PM

Talked to the AC technician, he got the replacement TXV ordered, but now gave me an option to get a second opinion from another company about his analysis. It will cost me $200 to replace TXV (labor charge) through him, I said I don't mind paying as long as it fixes the issue. That's when he asked me to get 2nd opinion. Now that would cost me another tech visit fee, followed by labor charge if needed to address the issue through them.

What would you guys do in my situation?

Old 07-20-2015, 06:12 PM

5,959 posts, read 7,504,091 times
Is he an independent repair guy or does he work for someone else in a larger company?

Sounds to me like he is not confident he knows what's wrong. So asking you to check with someone else on your nickel. I'd say pay him to fix it and save the extra service visit if it does not fix the problem. I am losing confidence on him fixing it and might even consider switching now to another firm. But once I lose confidence in someone like this I am finished with them which is a bit of a knee jerk. You know his pat work and I don't so consider this worth hat it's cost you....

Old 07-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Is he an independent repair guy or does he work for someone else in a larger company?

Sounds to me like he is not confident he knows what's wrong. So asking you to check with someone else on your nickel. I'd say pay him to fix it and save the extra service visit if it does not fix the problem. I am losing confidence on him fixing it and might even consider switching now to another firm. But once I lose confidence in someone like this I am finished with them which is a bit of a knee jerk. You know his pat work and I don't so consider this worth hat it's cost you....
Thanks Johnw2. That's exactly how I felt too. He keeps shooting in the dark and charges me. Now since I asked if it will really fix the issue, he says he would be safe than sorry, so get 2nd opinion. I called another company, they would add the service call fee($30) to repair cost if they end up fixing it.

If I have him replace TXV, it will cost me $200. If it doesn't fix the issue, I end up paying another company.
I think I should get a 2nd opinion, so I know it wont be something less expensive fix? I am confused now? I guess I can suck it up the $30.

He works for this company. But asked me to give review about his service after the first visit when he fixed the issue temporarily(for 2 days).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas