U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 08:20 AM

779 posts, read 654,984 times

Advertisements

Is it possible to live, work, and play in Dallas using only public transit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 08:36 AM

166 posts, read 175,260 times
This is not NYC or San Francisco. I tried to do this when I lived in Oak Cliff (less than a mile from a DART station) and worked in Richardson (less than 3/4 mile from a DART station). The result was about a 90+ minute one way commute if I was lucky, meaning I made good timing with a bus that only came once every 40 minutes on the Richardson side.

It really depends on where you live and where you work. If you live and work walking distance from a DART train station on the same line and don't have to go through downtown on said line to get there, it could be quite convenient. If you don't have a car I'd try to make decisions about living/working based around that. If not, it can be a very hit or miss experience.

Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 AM

2,444 posts, read 1,747,265 times
The other thing to note is that, from last week through the foreseeable future, every day is supposed to be over 100 - the weather is not conducive to walking to various public transit stops and waiting for busses or trains.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,584,771 times
It's absolutely possible. Downtown does not have a good grocery/household supply store that's convenient but Uptown offers everything you would need and ready access to the free trolley linking you to the DART system as well as the free Dlink bus that runs all the way over to Bishop Arts. Dart is a bit limited in my opinion but it does get you to both airports and the TRE which opens up Fort Worth options to you.
Rents are higher in Uptown but you can certainly live there comfortably without a car so factor that savings into your budget.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:04 AM

11,691 posts, read 21,345,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
It's absolutely possible. Downtown does not have a good grocery/household supply store that's convenient but Uptown offers everything you would need and ready access to the free trolley linking you to the DART system as well as the free Dlink bus that runs all the way over to Bishop Arts. Dart is a bit limited in my opinion but it does get you to both airports and the TRE which opens up Fort Worth options to you.
Rents are higher in Uptown but you can certainly live there comfortably without a car so factor that savings into your budget.
This is a good plan IF one's job location is easily accessible to public transit as well. If you work in major employment centers outside of central Dallas (the Legacy corridor in Plano, Galleria / Addison, Las Colinas, etc), there are either no transit options that take you all the way there or your option highly inefficient - ie, an hour+ public transit commute that could be driven in 20-30 minutes.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:07 AM

184 posts, read 144,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Is it possible to live, work, and play in Dallas using only public transit?
Absolutely. I live downtown, work downtown, and go to grad school at SMU. I have a car but only drive it about once a week (I'm dating someone who lives in the burbs). Everything you need to live is accessible via the rail/streetcar system. Everyone's scared of the bus for some reason, but the coverage is dense in the city and it's often your best option to get somewhere efficiently.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 AM
mm4

5,712 posts, read 2,978,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
This is not NYC or San Francisco.
At this point I wouldn't be so sure that Dallas transportation isn't very close to that of SF.

Most places off BART aren't so quick to get to; one doesn't fare much better on MUNI unless you're nearer downtown. Compared to D, the walks away from the stations are pretty similar in Oakland, or to North Beach, etc. Wide swaths of Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara Cos. are off limits in practicality without a car unless you've got half a day for the commute.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM

166 posts, read 175,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
At this point I wouldn't be so sure that Dallas transportation isn't very close to that of SF.

Most places off BART aren't so quick to get to; one doesn't fare much better on MUNI unless you're nearer downtown. Compared to D, the walks away from the stations are pretty similar in Oakland, or to North Beach, etc. Wide swaths of Alameda, Contra Costa, Santa Clara Cos. are off limits in practicality without a car unless you've got half a day for the commute.
I only meant the City - I wouldn't recommend the living without a car outside the SF city limits. If you live in the City the bus service is much more frequent and efficient even if you don't live near the train. I lived in several parts of SF without a car and could get almost anywhere within 30 minutes, even if I had to transfer lines.

My experience was much like what TurtleCreek80 described with respect to my job. Even though I worked very close to a DART station, I was on the wrong side of 75. It was probably around half a mile as the crow flies. It was 1.5-2 miles walking from the station, very little of which was safe for a pedestrian or even had sidewalks. I could wait for a DART bus to take me about 1/4 mile from the office, but even that walk wasn't really safe for a pedestrian and it only came every 40 or so minutes. I knew someone else in my office who couldn't drive for medical reasons - they would take DART to the station and then a taxi both ways between the station and office 5 days a week.

My main point is, it's very doable provided you both live and work within easy/safe walking access to a DART train station. If you can make this happen, you don't need a car and can happily take DART. In the end, I chose a 50-60 minute drive over a 90-120 minute train/bus ride. I wanted to make it work but it didn't make sense. If one of your work/job aren't a pleasant and short walk away, it's inefficient and may result in you getting hit by a car.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 PM

518 posts, read 772,981 times
It's possible not practical. You would be extremely limited. I use the DART every day. I live in Lakewood and drive to Mockingbird station and take the train to my office downtown. That's the only time I use it though and if my office wasn't right by the DART stop downtown I probably wouldn't use it at all. I've tried the buses a couple times and they are pretty sketchy IMO and really slow.

Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 PM

779 posts, read 654,984 times
Thanks for the advice. It seems as though Dallas's public transit is pure garbage and shouldn't be relied upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or