Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
But what you were also assuming is that there was no significant downpayment.

I know people who live in $500k+ homes, making less than $100k a year. However, they've purchased several homes during their life, and have built up equity, so what they actually end up financing is well within their reach.
Exactly. People can come up with down payments through other sources of income, too. Even a small inheritance of $50k can put someone within down payment range.

Or working for a company that experiences an equity event. You could be a big box retail store general manager, making less than $90k/ year, but have received stock options or grants worth over $100k due to high performing stock in recent years like TJ Maxx, Ross, Macy's ($8 to $71/share since 2009), or Home Depot ($16 to over $100/share in the last 5+ years), etc. Some companies like the one my husband works for award stock grants annually to every level of the company, including hourly admins. Save that for 5-10 years and someone making $25-30k has a year's worth of salary in stock, not counting share price growth.

Do most people get stock grants or get a $50k inheritance? I don't know, probably not, but it illustrates the point that income is only part of the story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:41 PM

631 posts, read 884,942 times
The best apples to apples comparison would be annual income (W2 wages, investment income if any, gifts from parents/inheritances, whatever) / total housing expense (principal, interest, taxes, insurance, maintenance/upkeep/repairs, renovation, utilities, etc). It all matters, there are people who couldn't afford their "free" upgrades on that show Extreme Home Makeover because their new houses had so much higher property taxes and utility costs.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:40 PM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
But what you were also assuming is that there was no significant downpayment.

I know people who live in $500k+ homes, making less than $100k a year. However, they've purchased several homes during their life, and have built up equity, so what they actually end up financing is well within their reach.
No, I was just questioning where that downpayment came from.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 PM

1,718 posts, read 1,055,555 times
Take a look at neighborhoods / home quality and prices in 75126.

The north suburbs are not the end all be all ya know.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:46 PM

8,142 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Exactly. People can come up with down payments through other sources of income, too. Even a small inheritance of $50k can put someone within down payment range.

Or working for a company that experiences an equity event. You could be a big box retail store general manager, making less than $90k/ year, but have received stock options or grants worth over $100k due to high performing stock in recent years like TJ Maxx, Ross, Macy's ($8 to $71/share since 2009), or Home Depot ($16 to over $100/share in the last 5+ years), etc. Some companies like the one my husband works for award stock grants annually to every level of the company, including hourly admins. Save that for 5-10 years and someone making $25-30k has a year's worth of salary in stock, not counting share price growth.

Do most people get stock grants or get a $50k inheritance? I don't know, probably not, but it illustrates the point that income is only part of the story.

I am not arguing against any of that. The only thing I said that in that income range, even with 20% downpayment, 2 kids, that amount of mortgage and all other costs would be stretching it, assuming that's all of the income and available funds. Now obviously, if somebody is just independently rich, or just cashed 500k in stock options, or sold the house they bought for 10k 40 years ago in Silicon Valley, South bay, or pick your favorite one for 2 mil everything changes.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
For what it's worth I found a few houses in RISD (close to Dallas, "safe" area, good schools) for under 300K. All updated and with pools.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M81067-95747

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M85023-64982

Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 AM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

I think you are really reaching on this example....

What I truly think is happening is people are buying homes with >5% down payment.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
For what it's worth I found a few houses in RISD (close to Dallas, "safe" area, good schools) for under 300K. All updated and with pools.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M81067-95747

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M85023-64982
There's a handful in my neighborhood with "For Sale" signs out front under $300k. Better schools than in 75081, too.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's a handful in my neighborhood with "For Sale" signs out front under $300k. Better schools than in 75081, too.
Yea, I know Berkner isn't a top choice, but I'm still more comfortable with it than any open enrollment DISD school. I love Richardson and think it will be our next home.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Yea, I know Berkner isn't a top choice, but I'm still more comfortable with it than any open enrollment DISD school. I love Richardson and think it will be our next home.
Sure, but you can buy in the RHS or JJ Pearce zones for under $300k if you don't mind a smaller house, one that needs a little updating, or just get really lucky.

You're definitely not going to get a 2k+ sq ft 3-2 or 4-2 house that's updated and move-in ready for under $300k in Richardson in a nice school district. That ship has sailed for the most part! If you're content with living in less than 2k sq ft and can deal with doing some cosmetic updates or even tearing out a couple of bathrooms or the kitchen...now we're talking.

Richardson's a great area. Not fancy, not rich, not shiny and new. But it's a solid, safe, and demographically diverse area with great schools and a kickass location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas