U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:57 AM

30,047 posts, read 34,820,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
Is everyone that moves into DFW trying to move into the same few cities?
Yes. Usually they (with families) look at a map and read about schools then start out by saying they want to be in Coppell and West Plano.

Then they are hit by reality and go to areas where they can actually buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 09:47 AM

641 posts, read 500,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yes. Usually they (with families) look at a map and read about schools then start out by saying they want to be in Coppell and West Plano.

Then they are hit by reality and go to areas where they can actually buy a house.

Add Keller, Trophy Club, Grapevine, Southlake, Flowermound to that list.....

And to answer OP's question: You can pretty much live anywhere in DFW for 300k. It's easier to mention the cities that you can't: Southlake, Westlake, Highland Park, Westover Hills

Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 AM

9,559 posts, read 19,653,457 times
There are two houses in my neighborhood in Grapevine for sale right now for under $300k. You just need a good realtor, and to look little harder!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:19 PM

107 posts, read 67,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPetals View Post
Did you actually go through 20+ bidding wars? We are relocating in June and what I read about the housing market makes me very nervous about trying to buy a house there .
Yes we did. Although towards the tail-end of our 'hunt' the market seemed to have been slowing down slightly. Probably because it was the end of summer and the rush to get into the good school attendance zones was not as relevant. We actually got so "lucky" that we had two of our offers get accepted lol, and had to back out of one paying the option fee. My advice would be to NOT compromise on the top 3-4 factors, which for us were location, schools, decent backyard and access to a ton of natural light. Thankfully, I must say, we hit most of those targets... and now in the process of doing some small renovations, before moving in.

Which area are you moving from and to? This forum is like a treasure trove existing threads of knowledgeable people... so spend some time doing searches, reading up and asking questions if needed.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:45 PM

183 posts, read 131,943 times
There are lots of rental houses sitting empty in Plano. I noticed this earlier this spring also. Maybe the market is starting to slow. Hope those investors are sweating and seeing negative cash flow. Serves them right for bidding on homes sight unseen. They make it harder for local families to buy primary residences and inflate prices along with our tax assessments.

Cmon everyone lets turn this around now, stop overbidding on high prices, you dont have to overpay anymore. i didnt overpay and neither do a lot of other families. you just have to be patient and find the right realtor to help you find those homes that only need a little painting and updating.

Houston is really starting to see a slowdown. It may take a little longer here but i wouldnt overpay at these elevated prices. Well, i didnt overpay. i got a steal and you can too. maybe it wasnt very easy before but market may start to turn now and you all can make that happen.

So just say no to overbidding.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:52 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,590,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Yes b/c everyone wants "new house, open floor plan, good schools." This is quite limiting.
Don't forget stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and 'hand scraped' hardwood floors.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:56 AM

30,047 posts, read 34,820,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Don't forget stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and 'hand scraped' hardwood floors.
No it's ... Excellent schools and cheap property taxes.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:21 AM

23,658 posts, read 31,408,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
No it's ... Excellent schools and cheap property taxes.
Where everyone gets into Ivy League schools and taxes are $100/year.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,228,129 times
Is anyone else a bit ticked that Collin/Dallas county so far has made no effort to reduce property tax rates? With all the values around here going up by 10% a year, they should be reducing our tax rate, they don't need that much extra money to cover budgets!

Old 09-08-2015, 11:08 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,410,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Is anyone else a bit ticked that Collin/Dallas county so far has made no effort to reduce property tax rates? With all the values around here going up by 10% a year, they should be reducing our tax rate, they don't need that much extra money to cover budgets!
How long have they been going up 10% a year? Also...did they go up back in 08 when the economy and housing market tanked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas