Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 PM

87 posts, read 153,177 times

Advertisements

I drove all around the metroplex last week after not having been there in 2 years. And wow. The whole place is just developing and developing on top of what was already developed anyway. We loved Heath two years ago--felt country and pretty and far from the madding crowd-- and now I counted NINE new developments within a very small area. How is that one little road going to be anything but a nightmare once all those people are jammed in a tiny area? The charm is going to be gone and FAST. Same for the Argyle area. What used to be remote is just developing every where you look. I just wonder how far this can go? I'm terrified to buy anything because I'm trying to avoid people all on top of us and everything is being ruined by endless development. (My opinion only, I realize). Ready to return to Texas to escape the east coast crowds and now wondering if that is even possible.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,558,221 times
If you want country at a decent price while maintaining some city aspects move to Tyler.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,640,758 times
Oklahoma City will be a suburb eventually.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 PM

871 posts, read 2,679,812 times
To put it simplistic terms,

look at the SF Bay Area in the 1960s and earlier. It was not full of sprawl and urban development. San Jose was known for its orchards. The airport in San Jose was a little strip and was never intended to be a big-time international airport (which is why it took so long to turn it into one).

And then Silicon Valley happened and the Bay Area sprawled like crazy, pretty much only limited by geography, specifically mountains. If you look at an East Bay suburb like Livermore and wonder why the sprawl stops there and then picks up in Mountain House and Tracy, it's because of the mountains inbetween. Same for between Castro Valley and Dublin. Mountains. Otherwise, there is sprawl everywhere there can be sprawl.

And now I go back on forums about the Bay and see people complaining and yearing for the Bay Area of old.

Point is, many companies have now left the Bay Area...for Texas. The jobs are now here, so, naturally, the sprawl is here too. The only difference between Bay Area sprawl of the 20th century and DFW sprawl of the 21st century is that the DFW sprawl isn't limited by geography.

DFW isn't the place to avoid sprawl. You can make the case that if you want to be nearish to DFW and avoid sprawl, you go South or West of the immediate DFW area, since the sprawl seems to be going North and in some cases, east (like Heath as you mentioned). You can still avoid sprawl in Stephenville. Or Granbury. Or Ennis. If that's what you're looking for.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:45 AM

19,545 posts, read 17,806,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 View Post
To put it simplistic terms,

look at the SF Bay Area in the 1960s and earlier. It was not full of sprawl and urban development. San Jose was known for its orchards. The airport in San Jose was a little strip and was never intended to be a big-time international airport (which is why it took so long to turn it into one).

And then Silicon Valley happened and the Bay Area sprawled like crazy, pretty much only limited by geography, specifically mountains. If you look at an East Bay suburb like Livermore and wonder why the sprawl stops there and then picks up in Mountain House and Tracy, it's because of the mountains inbetween. Same for between Castro Valley and Dublin. Mountains. Otherwise, there is sprawl everywhere there can be sprawl.

And now I go back on forums about the Bay and see people complaining and yearing for the Bay Area of old.

Point is, many companies have now left the Bay Area...for Texas. The jobs are now here, so, naturally, the sprawl is here too. The only difference between Bay Area sprawl of the 20th century and DFW sprawl of the 21st century is that the DFW sprawl isn't limited by geography.

DFW isn't the place to avoid sprawl. You can make the case that if you want to be nearish to DFW and avoid sprawl, you go South or West of the immediate DFW area, since the sprawl seems to be going North and in some cases, east (like Heath as you mentioned). You can still avoid sprawl in Stephenville. Or Granbury. Or Ennis. If that's what you're looking for.
Great post.

I'd advise anyone in fear of sprawl to look somewhere other than the 4th largest MSA in the country that is also an apex player in one of the countries mega-regions.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:54 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,340,656 times
Avoid sprawl? You mean growth? Try outskirts of Baltimore or Chicago, growth rate is much less if it's growth of any kind. Avoiding suburbanization in DFW is a temporary idea and requires one to move every 5 or 10 years in the north quadrant, maybe every 15 to 20 to the south.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 AM

87 posts, read 153,177 times
Yes. I agree with all the posts. I am just frustrated because it looks like ants just taking over and just overrunning everything! Any lovely country field has a FOR SALE sign on it or a ESTATES OF _____CREEK sign going up and a ton of houses jammed up on top of each other. I do live in the outskirts of Baltimore and it is the same thing, though because of trees and topography and zoning laws it doesn't LOOK as bad. I would love to go West or South. Maybe need to revisit those areas.....

Old 07-25-2015, 06:54 AM

5,428 posts, read 4,419,251 times
Yes, the sprawl is ridiculous here, but that is true of a lot of places. The urban growth boundary idea is appealing in theory, but in practice it hasn't worked as well in Portland, OR and Boulder, CO.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:06 AM

769 posts, read 777,366 times
The area needs another north south highway if this sprawl to the north continues. A few days ago northbound DNT was closed during rush hour at 635 which resulted in gridlock on 35, 75 and all other roads going north. The infrastructure won't support this sprawl much longer.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:44 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,806,757 times
I just find it odd/interesting that development is exponentially "sprawling" towards the North while West/East/South are slow to catch up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: