Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 14,312 times

Advertisements

My family (spouse and 1 daughter that will be entering 9th grade) is contemplating moving from Rockwall to the Park Cities. This idea was proposed by me so I can reduce my daily commute from 35-45 minutes to 10 minutes, and also so we will be closer to the many restaurants, events other places and things Dallas has to offer. I have about 20 years until retirement. Schools are good in both locations, but a little better in the Park Cities. Real estate prices are much higher in the Park Cities, but are still barely within budget. I don't see myself living in Rockwall for the long-term, but am not sure when would be the best time to move in closer: (A) now before my daughter enters high school, or (B) in about 4 years after my daughter graduates from high school (if we move in 4 years it might outside of the Park Cities but in a nice area close to downtown Dallas). I feel that both choices are not ideal, because (A) would require my daughter leave behind her friends in Rockwall and her familiar environment, and she may or may not develop comparable new friends, and (B) would require that my daughter return home during college breaks (and beyond) to a new city where she doesn't have any friends and is not likely to make many at that point, which could make her visits home boring and undesirable. The entire family is on the fence as to what is the better choice. Any thoughts on the best time to move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
She's going to move in 4 years anyways...off to college more than likely. Yes it's a change, but not the worse. Is your daughter popular at her current schools and attractive? Sorry to sound shallow, but in the park cities those are always the easiest ways to blend in as a new kid. We had a few girls and guys join freshman year when I was at HPHS. The ones that were talented in sports, academia or were very attractive blended in just fine.

Also the sports programs and academic programs at HPISD are step above Rockwall, not just slightly. You're going from a top 20-30 school in DFW to arguably the #1

Old 07-24-2015, 09:51 AM

87 posts, read 127,801 times
I'll say if she likes her school then stay where you are and let her finish highschool. Later move to an urban area near work. She would like visiting there as there will be more to do than Rockwall and if she brings college friends then they'll enjoy it as well. She and her school friends can always drive to see each other, which probably won't be that often as life and interests changes pretty fast once you go to college. This would save you from moving twice. With all the money saved by not buying in Park Cities, she can go to a better college and you can have a cushy retirement.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganny61 View Post
My family (spouse and 1 daughter that will be entering 9th grade) is contemplating moving from Rockwall to the Park Cities. This idea was proposed by me so I can reduce my daily commute from 35-45 minutes to 10 minutes, and also so we will be closer to the many restaurants, events other places and things Dallas has to offer. I have about 20 years until retirement. Schools are good in both locations, but a little better in the Park Cities. Real estate prices are much higher in the Park Cities, but are still barely within budget. I don't see myself living in Rockwall for the long-term, but am not sure when would be the best time to move in closer: (A) now before my daughter enters high school, or (B) in about 4 years after my daughter graduates from high school (if we move in 4 years it might outside of the Park Cities but in a nice area close to downtown Dallas). I feel that both choices are not ideal, because (A) would require my daughter leave behind her friends in Rockwall and her familiar environment, and she may or may not develop comparable new friends, and (B) would require that my daughter return home during college breaks (and beyond) to a new city where she doesn't have any friends and is not likely to make many at that point, which could make her visits home boring and undesirable. The entire family is on the fence as to what is the better choice. Any thoughts on the best time to move?
Reasons to move:
1. Lock in a mortgage rate now they'll almost certainly be higher in a few years - although you may not want/need a mortgage.
2. HPHS is a much better school - not just a little better.
3. Save wear and tear on your life.
4. Save wear and tear on your car.
5. Save gas/carbon footprint etc.
6. Save 5/6 hours per week.

Reasons to stay;
1. Inertia - moving sucks.
2. It'd be a little tough on your kiddo.

Kids are adaptable. She need not lose her current friends.

I'd probably move now.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:10 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
If your daughter is chubby, sensitive, or slow to make friends I would not change her school. If your daughter has special passions such as dance, art, sports that she enjoys engaging with others about and is generally resilient then I would consider moving.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM

14 posts, read 14,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
She's going to move in 4 years anyways...off to college more than likely. Yes it's a change, but not the worse. Is your daughter popular at her current schools and attractive? Sorry to sound shallow, but in the park cities those are always the easiest ways to blend in as a new kid. We had a few girls and guys join freshman year when I was at HPHS. The ones that were talented in sports, academia or were very attractive blended in just fine.

Also the sports programs and academic programs at HPISD are step above Rockwall, not just slightly. You're going from a top 20-30 school in DFW to arguably the #1
Thanks, she is a cute cheerleader and dancer, but not a blond bombshell or extremely popular (just somewhere in the middle of the popularity scale). I don't think she would be able to be a cheerleader for 9th grade however, because try-outs were completed last Spring, I believe. She is moderately athletic, but not gifted in any particular sport any maybe not good enough to make any other athletic teams at HP.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
Quote:
Thanks, she is a cute cheerleader and dancer, but not a blond bombshell or extremely popular (just somewhere in the middle of the popularity scale). I don't think she would be able to be a cheerleader for 9th grade however, because try-outs were completed last Spring, I believe. She is moderately athletic, but not gifted in any particular sport any maybe not good enough to make any other athletic teams at HP.
This describes my grandkid who is doing so well in her Midlothian school. Though she made the varsity cheerleader team I would not want her moving to the Park Cities because her family is not well traveled and I worry she might suffer socially and make bad decisions to try and fit in. We did however make a similar decision to stay behind when my son was in 10 th grade because he was doing so well and in his junior year he began smoking weed and dropping grades! Go figure. It's a hard thing to predict.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:40 AM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I would never move somewhere more expensive "you can barely afford" over a 20-30 minute commute.

Last edited by convextech; 07-24-2015 at 11:48 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 11:44 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Quote:
I grew up in the Park Cities, fwiw. 9th grade is a good time to move in to the district. Quite a few new kids will join the grade as they transfer from private schools (Providence & a few others popular with Park Cities families end at 8th grade) and there are just so many new fsmilies relocating into the district right now compared to when I grew up in the 80-90's. Even so, 2 of my closest friends from high school did not come to HP until 9th grade (transfer from Hockaday) and 10th grade (moved from another state). My friend group also shuffled a lot from middle to high school as we all got involved in different sports or extra curriculars. If your daughter plays a sport well or is talented at music or debate or art or theatre, she will find her "tribe" at HPHS. The grades are 200 kids bigger than they were when I graduated so with 500-550 freshmen, there are bound to be 5-10 that click with your daughter, likely many more.

On the academic front, I think you will find that HP is significantly superior to Rockwall, not just the "little better" you mentioned. This is especially true if she is an Honors / AP student.

Also, this isn't 1985 when Rockwall was out in the country and warranted a long distance phone call. She will keep in touch with her good friends from Rockwall through facebook, texting, etc and soon they'll all be driving so they can visit each other. It's really not a huge deal.

Lastly, my opinion is move now or wait four years. You absolutely cannot move her in 10-12th grades. That is just cruel to a teenager. 9th is a good year to transition.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:54 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I would never move somewhere more expensive "you can barely afford" over a 20-30 minute commute.
Millions of Americans have made the most money in their lives moving into a home they could barely afford. The trick is doing so in an appreciating market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: