U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:16 PM

23,618 posts, read 31,208,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Dallas always seems to wanna be NYC or LA. Getting close to that dream, excluding families and middle class America....
On this we agree. Seems like Dallas is heading towards neo-industrial feudalism where the only people who can live there are the very wealthy and the poor, most of whom probably mow the wealthy's lawns and clean their houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:22 PM

5,960 posts, read 7,511,409 times
I know as a suburban dweller by choice I'm tired of The simplistic Dallas is the reason everything happens here in Dallas thought process. If it was that simple even Dallas would have good schools but it's doesn't.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I know as a suburban dweller by choice I'm tired of The simplistic Dallas is the reason everything happens here in Dallas thought process. If it was that simple even Dallas would have good schools but it's doesn't.
There's no simple explanation for the state of the DISD. You could write a book heavy enough to anchor a boat with about what's gone wrong there in the last 30-40 years.

Plus, keep in mind that Dallas schools aren't run by the city. Remember the "I" in "ISD."

Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
There's no simple explanation for the state of the DISD. You could write a book heavy enough to anchor a boat with about what's gone wrong there in the last 30-40 years.

Plus, keep in mind that Dallas schools aren't run by the city. Remember the "I" in "ISD."
I remember but if I'm Dallas and schools are a barrier I'd be involved. I watched the Myles disaster and shake my head. Dysfunctional.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM

74 posts, read 62,581 times
Quote:
I am trying to remember a relocation of any size to Dallas. It seems the suburbs and FW are carrying the old city again. Small land too expensive and bad schools other than for the elite and wealthy. Just like most old cities.

Dallas always seems to wanna be NYC or LA. Getting close to that dream, excluding families and middle class America....
One is Santander Consumer USA Inc, which will be in fourteen floors of Thanksgiving Tower downtown. CEO is a Dallas WWHS grad, so he knows the territory.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:06 AM

639 posts, read 456,604 times
It will slow down. There will be a point where residents balk at the increasing congestion and pollution. There aren't any physical boundaries to stop growth, but physical distance from airports and highways will matter, as well as the availability of water and rising property costs.

As the economy gets better, employees will balk at relocating when they can find work in their current locations, remain near family and friends, not uproot their school age children, and avoid disrupting their trailing spouse's career.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
One is Santander Consumer USA Inc, which will be in fourteen floors of Thanksgiving Tower downtown. CEO is a Dallas WWHS grad, so he knows the territory.
I missed that one awesome news.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.abus View Post
I wouldn't get excited about SCUSA. The churn rate there is so high that they'll probably burn through every developer in DFW in the next 6-7 years. That's why they have so many Infosys/Wipro/TCS "professionals" on site.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:23 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian2 View Post
There are pros and cons of everything but tax hike and congested traffic beats unemployment and foreclosures.
ummm, aren't people fleeing from California because of tax hikes and congested traffic???

Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,301,646 times
Quote:
I agree fully.

Whining about home values going up by homeowners is whining about what most of us want when we buy a home.
Personally I would be perfectly fine if my home values don't go up. Then again, I'm planning to stay in my home for the next 20 years so this wont work for others who might plan to up sticks after a couple of years...and I suspect there are quite a few people who are in my position. We just want to stay in our homes without getting flogged with double digit increases in taxes every year. 5 more years of 10% tax increases will substantially change the percentage that the PITI takes out of my budget, from painless to uncomfortable...and the scary thing is that this scenario is looking more and more realistic every day...somehow I don't think I'm the only home owner here who would didn't have buckets of East Coast/West Coast equity, and would be negatively impacted by this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or