U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:18 PM

30 posts, read 28,790 times

Advertisements

Aceraceae, my husband would like to know your opinion on the best and worst of Melissa. (Can't figure out how to PM!)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,887,303 times
Best and Worst are very subjective.

Best. Our daughter is not quite one yet, but there are other kids in the neighborhood that play outside often. We look forward to her being able to join in. It has stalled a little in the last few weeks due to the heat.

McKinney will be your place to go for most things. You have Hwy 5 and 75 for your pick. You have most big box stores available in 10min along the 380 corridor. Target, Wal Mart, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, among several others which I'm sure you're familiar if you live in McKinney.

Worst for us was no CVS(my wifes insurance all but requires her to use them for prescriptions), but bricks are being laid for one across from Liberty right now.

We both grew up in rural towns, so being on the edge of the metro is not abnormal for us.

Be prepared to drive a little further than someone who lives further south. It seems that would be obvious, but you never know.

We go to Whole Foods at Stacy Rd multiple times per week if that is your thing, and our daughter takes swim lessons on Stacy Rd too.

If you have more specific questions I'm happy to answer.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:07 PM

Thank you, this is very helpful!

We like that the neighborhood kids play outside! It is one of the things we loved about our neighborhood in Minnesota; it really develops the sense of community and connection with neighbors.

We find ourselves up in the 380/75 retail area often and at the Farmers Market and Local Yokel in downtown every weekend, so not a lot of change there in terms of distance and time. (Will double check that tmrw when we go up to Melissa) We also shop at Whole Foods on Stacy quite often.

I grew up in a very small New England town and after 20 years in a large Minnesota city, would really like to experience small town again.

A CVS nearby is very convenient.

Thank you again! Appreciate you taking the time to give us 'insider' information.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:18 PM

241 posts, read 228,280 times
One thing I know about Melissa is that there is a landfill somewhere around there. I'm not saying it should affect your decision because you could be miles away from it... just look out for it... or maybe "smell out" for it. I've read threads on this forum where people from Anna said that they could smell the landfill at times.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:55 PM

We'll check it out! Thanks for the heads up.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:45 PM

87 posts, read 85,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Edie View Post
Thanks for the great feedback!

We would like to be on the leading edge (not the bleeding edge) of the development. The fact that Melissa already has it schools built and has a very limited land area (=limited population growth) is very attractive to us.

Since only my husband has to commute, and plenty of his type of work exists in the Plano/Frisco area, the commute is within my husband's tolerance. That and he's pretty enamoured with Melissa!
It seems that Melissa would work well for your family. House hunting would be much easier then IT areas.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:22 PM

25 posts, read 32,504 times
We're currently having a home built in Liberty and the landfill was a concern. I drove to the landfill, it's down the road a few miles and I didn't realize it was a landfill until I read the sign, it seems from the folks I have talked to in the neighborhood, they have not had to deal with the smell from the landfill. So I am confident that we will be ok there. I grew up in Allen and we decided on Melissa because it wasn't that far from McKinney and access to 121 and 380 to get us to Frisco and Plano. Not to mention there is a lot to do in McKinney now.

I think Melissa is the best of both worlds. In the country, but not far from "civilization", which I am sure will catch up with us very soon.

Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 AM

6,268 posts, read 12,132,882 times
I have a friend building in Liberty right now, should be ready in another 3 months or so. Wife works in Frisco, he works in Plano off 75 so not a bad commute really.

That being said, they are building there because they couldn't afford new construction in McKinney or Frisco, and the wife wanted new. If they could have, they'd have chosen McKinney. I'm not sure they know about the landfill, that would suck to have to deal with the smell on windy days if it's close enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas