U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 PM

30 posts, read 28,767 times

Advertisements

We moved to Texas two months ago and are loving it!
We are renting in McKinney with plans to purchase a house next spring.
Last weekend we happened upon Melissa and are intrigued with its smallness.

What is the good, the bad and the ugly on Melissa??

My husband works in Frisco near the junction of 121 and the Dallas North Tollway. (I work from home.)

Thanks!

Jane Edie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:02 PM

959 posts, read 1,013,681 times
The good? It's new and cheap

The bad? It's in the middle of no where, undeveloped, and so far from everything

You should actually take a drive to some of the development there. The drive there will make you think you are in the middle of no where with a population of 0

Old 07-24-2015, 11:00 PM

241 posts, read 227,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
The good? It's new and cheap

The bad? It's in the middle of no where, undeveloped, and so far from everything

You should actually take a drive to some of the development there. The drive there will make you think you are in the middle of no where with a population of 0
I was telling people when I moved to Dallas back in the late 90's, I drove up to where Frisco/The Colony was and a bit further north just to check out what was going on up there in my house search. I told a co-worker there was no way in hell I'd live up there because it was so far out. Now I laugh because I live about 7-10 miles further north of that 121/DNT intersection in Frisco.

I would agree with unknown00, but it depends upon how risk-averse you are and how secure your job(s) are. That drive to Frisco may be bearable, but I'd suggest you attempt the drive for "kicks" on a weekday around rush-hour or whenever you plan on leaving for work when you really do live there. See how long it takes and if you're willing to put up with it. Then consider if you lose or change your job how much further you may have to drive to get to places like Addison, Carrollton, or like I'm about to be doing - downtown Dallas. It may not be pretty, but who knows. I also would go up there and see what's around there and the convenience to get there. The only time I've been up there is on my way across the border, but I've considered buying a home there... not too seriously, though. I like that it's a bit away from traffic and probably offers a bit more "peace" at least for now (or I assume it does, anyway).

Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 AM

87 posts, read 85,648 times
Just because people are forced to move further north due to affordability, doesn't mean that commute is becoming pleasant. It sucks to be in rush hour traffic and unless you have five kids or a psychological need for a bigger and newer house, there is no reason to sign up for a crazy commute.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,884,357 times
We got a good deal on an existing Highland house in Liberty. My wife works at Parker and the DNT as a night time RN. It takes her about 35 min leaving between 6-610pm. My office is in Mckinney so not really a commute.

75 construction is nearing completion!!!

We really like it hear and have great neighbors. You can PM me for more details. We've also lived in Mckinney in recent history.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:01 AM

87 posts, read 85,648 times
Sorry, I didn't notice your work location. It is totally doable for someone working from home or Frisco. Just keep in mind that if work situation changed for either of you then commute would be a challenge.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:34 PM

3,926 posts, read 4,396,537 times
You buy in Melissa, you are on the edge of northwards growth, watched the prices and demand increase over the years we worked the area. Believe that is Lovejoy ISD, good schools.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:45 PM

975 posts, read 1,005,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
You buy in Melissa, you are on the edge of northwards growth, watched the prices and demand increase over the years we worked the area. Believe that is Lovejoy ISD, good schools.
Melissa has there on schoold district. Lovejoy is for part Allen and Fairview.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:51 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,884,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
Melissa has there on schoold district. Lovejoy is for part Allen and Fairview.
Correct.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:52 PM

30 posts, read 28,767 times
Thanks for the great feedback!

We would like to be on the leading edge (not the bleeding edge) of the development. The fact that Melissa already has it schools built and has a very limited land area (=limited population growth) is very attractive to us.

Since only my husband has to commute, and plenty of his type of work exists in the Plano/Frisco area, the commute is within my husband's tolerance. That and he's pretty enamoured with Melissa!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas