U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:25 PM

979 posts, read 1,014,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Grand Homes won the Best Builder of the Year nationally for 2011, so I think your information is out of date. All the Grand Homes we looked at during our house search (some brand new) looked great, and we ended up buying a home that was built by Grand.

America's Best Builders Rise to the Occasion During a Tough Recession | Builder Magazine | Operations, Marketing, Local Markets, Business, Management, Sales, Design Centers, Budgeting, Custom Builders, Lumberyards, Construction Management, Louisv

That being said, you get what you pay for. I have a friend who has worked for several of the builders in this area, Grand, Meritage, Landon, Highland, etc... And their build quality is all very similar at a given price point.

The differences arise when comparing how they deal with dissatisfied customers, but there's a lot of complaints for almost all the builders out there.
I respectively disagree and so do alot of other people, and to say they are in same quality as Highland is hard buy into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 02:32 PM

465 posts, read 278,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzro View Post
Most of it comes down to quality of materials. The illegals that are building all of Centex's jobs are the exact same ones building Paul Taylor's custom stuff, there is not much difference.
Again it all comes down to the quality and level of experience of the crew regardless of legal status.
It's been my experience that plenty of illegals working in construction are people with decades of experience in the trade, with excellent skills, craftsmanship and attention to detail. Sure they don't have work permits but their work is excellent.

Old 07-30-2015, 05:34 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,183,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I respectively disagree and so do alot of other people, and to say they are in same quality as Highland is hard buy into.
Shrug, you can disagree, but being named builder of the year speaks for itself.

David Weekly and Toll Brothers won it the following years if that tells you anything. Both of them are major players in real estate, and are owned by shareholders. Grand, on the other hand, is privately owned and much smaller. To be able to win Builder of the Year against the big guys says a lot.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Shrug, you can disagree, but being named builder of the year speaks for itself.

David Weekly and Toll Brothers won it the following years if that tells you anything. Both of them are major players in real estate, and are owned by shareholders. Grand, on the other hand, is privately owned and much smaller. To be able to win Builder of the Year against the big guys says a lot.
It really doesnt speak for itself. You pay enough and you can get any award you want.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:51 PM

959 posts, read 1,024,154 times
Megatel Homes opinions?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:27 PM

30 posts, read 28,815 times
Thanks everyone! This has been a very educational string!

Hubby and I were up in Anna today and came across West Crossing. Community seemed nice. Any thoughts on Bloomfield Homes?

Old 08-02-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Edie View Post
Thanks everyone! This has been a very educational string!

Hubby and I were up in Anna today and came across West Crossing. Community seemed nice. Any thoughts on Bloomfield Homes?
Think Bloomfield is a really good builder. Great value for the price. Good quality.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:42 AM

77 posts, read 96,673 times
Any good builders in West Plano thats close to the 400k range? Neighborhoods that feed into Jasper High school?

Old 08-04-2015, 10:43 AM

190 posts, read 205,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers33 View Post
Any good builders in West Plano thats close to the 400k range? Neighborhoods that feed into Jasper High school?
No.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:56 AM

959 posts, read 1,024,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Megatel Homes opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers33 View Post
See my post above, I'm asking about the only new development builder in West Plano

//EDIT: I did some research on that development, starts at 550k - 650k so out of your budget

Last edited by unknown00; 08-04-2015 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or