U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM

87 posts, read 85,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnnnold View Post
Whats up with the way they designed this airport? It's like a giant maze. So I was on a car shuttle to move to a different terminal gate, then the bus in front of me broke down on a narrow 1 lane road of the airport. Then an hour got wasted waiting to get out of there.

When is the construction going to finish at this airport too?
Which airport do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:54 PM

13,403 posts, read 20,323,868 times
DFW is great. I have to use Bush in Houston now and its terrible.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 35,472 times
I was at the E gate the one with tons of construction on the 1 lane road. So that might explain the negative experience. I'll try to avoid E gate next time. Hopefully next time goes better.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM

4,525 posts, read 8,612,934 times
It's designed as a destination airport, not a hub airport to connect with other flights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
DFW is great. I have to use Bush in Houston now and its terrible.
At least Bush did not go to the extreme of having two rows of terminals. It's easier to navigate between 4 large terminals instead of the 2 rows of 10 (max.) small terminals.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:03 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,826,404 times
I flew into DFW from Nashville today. I've visited a lot of mid-size airports in the past 2 years and I agree that in general they are easier to navigate...but DFW is on a whole different level than those.

The one thing I will say that could be improved is the signage--figuring out what lane you need to be in to get in/out of a terminal can be rough. It feels like there is no signage until it is too late.

That and the exits on the north side to 114/635, etc. are confusing as hell. More than once I have tried to get on 635 east and ended up on 114 west...and I'm pretty familiar with the airport.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:04 AM

57 posts, read 68,391 times
It's an Escher nightmare rendered in concrete. It was worse when they much more construction around it and lane signage changed on an almost-weekly basis.

Good luck if you have a connecting flight in a different terminal.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,573,927 times
I am certainly not an apologist for Dallas (far from it), but I concur with earlier posters that DFW is one of the best designed and easiest to get around among major airports. Short walks from entry to almost all gates, easy transit between terminals via Skylink (the monorail), short lines at security almost all the time, and so on.

I will agree that the construction on the terminal access roads can be problematic, and that if you get stuck behind a broken down bus in one of the few places where those roads are only one lane due to construction, it's awful. But comparing that to the non-stop nightmare of getting around at SFO or O'Hare or for God's sake LaGuaria...it's nothing.

As for getting between terminals...I've likely spent more time at both O'Hare and DFW than anyone else posting here (some people may have spent more time at one of those two, but I doubt at both) and getting from one terminal to another at DFW is easy-peasy compared to O'Hare. And we won't even talk about making a connection when you're changing airlines and have to go from Gate K18 or something to Gate C31. If it's not a LONG interval between flights, be ready to do your best Usain Bolt imitation.

Old 07-27-2015, 02:25 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,183,686 times
I fly from DFW to O'hare a few times a year and DFW is a cake walk compared to O'hare. It's less crowded, smaller and easier to navigate.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:06 AM

29,977 posts, read 34,607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
That and the exits on the north side to 114/635, etc. are confusing as hell. More than once I have tried to get on 635 east and ended up on 114 west...and I'm pretty familiar with the airport.
Agreed. That exit on the North end going to 635 is vague and sorely lacking after that Billion dollar improvement to 121/114.

You have to guess which lane goes to 635, the others seem marked OK.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:33 PM

94 posts, read 112,030 times
One thing I don't get base on my memory (assuming I'm not mistaken) on the few times I've flown into DFW is why airline don't have all the terminal bunched up together. For instance based on the other major airports that I've flown into, American Airlines would all be at terminal 1 and United would be at terminal 2 and etc. This way all the gates were near each other for a particular airlines and made it easier in switching flights. The last time I flew out of DFW, my AA flight was delayed for 6 hrs and I had to go all the way to what felt like the other side of the airport to see if I can catch a different AA flight home. Few other times the gates were switched on me and I had to take the monorail to a different part of the airport to be at the right gate.

I've just been so used to flying out of LAX where they don't have this kind of setup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or