U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 07:00 AM

900 posts, read 892,342 times

Advertisements

If the methodology for these rankings is STAAR performance, then these rankings frankly don't mean much to me. I was told during the build up to this test how hard it was, and how even the good students would struggle. We got our scores in and my sons and their friends all blew the top off that test. Granted, they are all traditional learners- I'm sure it is difficult for those students with different learning styles. But the test and all the practice before it does not promote higher level thinking or innovation. It does measure math skills and reading comprehension, which yes, are highly useful skills. My concern is lack of synthesis of these skills in our public schools today. Of course Carroll scored well- they drill just like all the other 'burb districts (including mine) do and practically shut down the school for a month to complete the testing. All the children come to school having had a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast. I feel like this discussion will become a retread of all the countless other threads about school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:37 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
If the methodology for these rankings is STAAR performance, then these rankings frankly don't mean much to me. I was told during the build up to this test how hard it was, and how even the good students would struggle. We got our scores in and my sons and their friends all blew the top off that test. Granted, they are all traditional learners- I'm sure it is difficult for those students with different learning styles. But the test and all the practice before it does not promote higher level thinking or innovation. It does measure math skills and reading comprehension, which yes, are highly useful skills. My concern is lack of synthesis of these skills in our public schools today. Of course Carroll scored well- they drill just like all the other 'burb districts (including mine) do and practically shut down the school for a month to complete the testing. All the children come to school having had a good night's sleep and a healthy breakfast. I feel like this discussion will become a retread of all the countless other threads about school districts.
Carroll does as good a job as anyone at teaching to the test (and making sure everyone understands that the STAAR test is The Most Importantest Thing Of Ever).

And I TOTALLY agree with you on "lack of synthesis". I've said countless times that the greatest advances come from people who have knowledge in two disparate fields and see connections between them that people who are completely focused on just one of those areas has not. People who are narrowly taught to do "X" are at a disadvantage there.

Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,064,559 times
Way to go Lakewood - from a former Armstrong Eagle.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:34 AM

517 posts, read 767,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austrian2 View Post
Dallas ISD doesn't need vitamins, they need resuscitation. Suburbs compete with each other, DISD is not in their league.
If it makes you sleep better at night thinking you traded trees, culture, commute, decent restaurants, and character for marginally better schools (at best) then go for it.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:54 AM

485 posts, read 520,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
If it makes you sleep better at night thinking you traded trees, culture, commute, decent restaurants, and character for marginally better schools (at best) then go for it.
I'm far from team suburbia, but to me the idea that you should care more about mature trees than your child's education is uh...

Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 AM

472 posts, read 308,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
I don't really understand the personal nature of some of these suburb/Dallas debates. Every individual situation is different and what makes sense for each family.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie972 View Post
I'm far from team suburbia, but to me the idea that you should care more about mature trees than your child's education is uh...
Agreed, the only caveat being that I think it is hard to really say that by moving to Prosper, Frisco, or even Plano that you are significantly improving (or improving at all) your child's elementary school education versus Lakewood (or Stonewall for that matter).

Old 07-31-2015, 09:03 AM

267 posts, read 366,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Agreed, the only caveat being that I think it is hard to really say that by moving to Prosper, Frisco, or even Plano that you are significantly improving (or improving at all) your child's elementary school education versus Lakewood (or Stonewall for that matter).
There are schools after elementary.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
There are schools after elementary.
Of course, but this topic was regarding elementary school rankings (which are really just STAAR performance rankings).

Old 07-31-2015, 09:25 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP78 View Post
Of course, but this topic was regarding elementary school rankings (which are really just STAAR performance rankings).
Props to Lakewood. For them to pull this off in DISD is outstanding. What some people are referring to is what pharpe posted. That you are trading beauty for suburbia for marginally better schools.

1st. Maybe marginally better elementary. After that there is a VERY large gap.
2nd. Last I looked you could get a very nice house in almost any suburb for 2-400K. That not the case at all in the Lakewood Elementary area. It's closing in on Park Cities prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or