Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:57 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,926,513 times

Advertisements

Agree with earlier posters:

Selection in Plano is strikingly slim, given the huge Chinese population in Plano. Not even close to what you'll find in any of the high-Chinese demographic California cities. And many of the restaurants are targeted to the non-Chinese market.

There are a few authentic ones around (The First Chinese BBQ chain comes to mind, as does the food court at Asia World or whatever it's called now) but they aren't fancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:00 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Fuzzy Yao is good too.
I loved Yao Fuzi, but the quality has slid.

I don't like Chinese food in general. In Chinatown, in Hong Kong, Indian Chinese food (which is its own thing and you CAN get it in Plano), in China, or in Plano.

There are other VERY GOOD asian restaurants. Chinese...meh.

As to the heat, I play tennis nearly every single day and have all summer long.
You acclimate and then go about your business.
Yesterday the thermometer said 100 degrees while I was playing singles, but with a slight breeze going, I really didn't even notice the heat. I am being totally serious. Drink a lot of water and you're fine.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
Someone else mentioned Richardson - they have quite a zone of Chinese/Asian restaurants and shops along Greenville Ave. Unfortunately, I haven't ventured up that way when I have the spare time to try any of them yet.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM

8,135 posts, read 3,674,077 times
I like to do takeout from JS Chen's in Plano.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:04 AM

81 posts, read 142,910 times
It sounds like the selection is low, but the places that do exist is actually pretty good. I think i'm totally okay with 2 months where I can't venture outside. It's kind of like that in most cities in the country anyways (either too cold or too hot).

What about dimsum? Any good and cheap ones?

Old 07-28-2015, 11:30 AM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Dallas Chinese food doesn't have good reputation but it definitely gotten better these past couple years since i moved here. The direct flights to HK and shanghai from DFW should definitely bring more chinese immigrants and food.

Good dim sum and chinese bakeries are still sorely lacking here. I usually go to J.S. Chen for dim sum

Old 07-28-2015, 02:33 PM

241 posts, read 381,897 times
The problem with hottest summer months in Dallas is that when it's around 100-105 during the day, it's still around 90-100 at 10pm. Also, when the temps are 90-100+, the heat index is actually around 96-110 thanks to the humidity.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I play golf year around in DFW. Summer is the worst but we tee off around 6:45am and finish before 11am. Any where I can play all year is a good climate to me, winter might avg 3 weeks of too cold or too icy/snowy or too rainy to play.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM

311 posts, read 450,852 times
To be brutally honest, people don't come to Dallas for the food. Heck, I don't even consider the majority Dallas cuisine (local or international) to be palatable, especially if you have lived in a large, metroplex located on any coast.

As posters mentioned, Plano/DFW may have a growing Asian population, but the food is catered to American tastes. If you going to visit Texas, at least visit Houston's Chinatown if you want some good eats; I can name a handful of places I really enjoyed back in the day.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:07 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallawallahoohoo View Post
To be brutally honest, people don't come to Dallas for the food. Heck, I don't even consider the majority Dallas cuisine (local or international) to be palatable, especially if you have lived in a large, metroplex located on any coast.
Absolutely ridiculous and Im from LA so nothing in Texas will have the options there. But the quality in ethnic eats isnt that different between Dallas and Houston.

The food overall is better in Houston yes, but the ethnic food is almost identical in either city. Houston has a larger selection of Chinese food, Dallas has a larger selection of Korean food. Indian food is great in both.

The biggest difference between Dallas and Houston food wise is the local cuisine. Its much more defined in Houston and the restaurants are more open minded.

Also, youre dead wrong about the ethnic restaurants being catered to Americans. The biggest difference between Houston and Dallas is that in Dallas, only people of that ethnicity seem to eat their food. In Houston, everyone eats everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: