U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:41 PM

5,710 posts, read 1,725,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisOSU View Post
Sent 3 kids through Dallas private schools, Ursuline and Jesuit. Probably not politically correct, but the difference between Greenhill and Hockaday is centered on religious affiliation. One is predominantly more Protestant and the other more Jewish.
Greenhill being the more Jewish. This is the first difference I thought of as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:43 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,136,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I think the difference between Greenhill and Hockaday is far more a matter of philosophy of education and of the parents than the religious preferences of the students, considering that both schools are secular. Hockaday has much more conservative parents, though the school itself tends to be quite liberal (which has caused conflicts between the school's administration and the school's board of trustees). Greenhill is pretty liberal all the way around.

I would say Hockaday has a touch better reputation, but it's really miniscule. Neither school is going to give your kid an advantage, nor a disadvantage, in applying to colleges or getting recruited. My suggestion would be to visit each campus and see which vibe feels better to you and your daughter.

If sports are a big deal, Ursuline is going to be the way to go--the academics, while not quite as strong as Hockaday and Greenhill, are still top notch, while the athletic programs are substantially better.

You also might want to look at moving into the Highland Park school district and going to Highland Park High School. The academic reputation is excellent and the girls' sports teams are head and shoulders above any private school.
I agree with most of that. The last phrase regarding sports is simply wrong.

For a few examples:

Over the last several years both Bishop Lynch and Ursuline have been stronger than HP in volleyball. They only direct play I'm a aware of is during my daughter's soph. year her UA team scrimmaged HP - UA won in 2 pretty easily. That UA team was packed with talent and size. By my count UA had 9 eventual college level players on that team - four who are playing in college now, one who decided to take a track free ride over a volleyball free ride, one, who may have been the best of the bunch, suffered a career ending injury a week or two after the HP scrimmage and three who dropped the sport in favor of studies - I know the last three really well each had top 50 D-1 offers. I'll have to verify all of that with my kiddo but I'm pretty sure that's about right. And for all of that BL has been just a little better than UA. Although BL actively recruits so there's that.

BL beat Ursuline for the TAPPS soccer title last year. That was likely UA's weakest team in many years and still UA managed to beat Plano West, Houston Klein and several others. They did lose to HP 1-0. UA soccer has been a top 50 ranked team nationally many times - IIRC they were ranked #4 a couple of years ago.

UA's crew/rowing has 9 (10?) Stotesbury Cup medals over the last several years. I'm relatively sure HP has 0.

I don't know much about other girls sports around here. It may even be that HP is better than BL and UA all girls sports considered. But HP is absolutely not head and shoulders better.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:36 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,015,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I agree with most of that. The last phrase regarding sports is simply wrong.

UA's crew/rowing has 9 (10?) Stotesbury Cup medals over the last several years. I'm relatively sure HP has 0.
HP Crew is a club team that rows as Dallas United Crew. it is open to anyone but is a high percentage HP students. DUC has many state and regional medals, however they row a different style than UA so they don't compete in the same events. (skulling vs.sweep)

Old 08-12-2015, 11:41 PM

7,295 posts, read 8,136,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
HP Crew is a club team that rows as Dallas United Crew. it is open to anyone but is a high percentage HP students. DUC has many state and regional medals, however they row a different style than UA so they don't compete in the same events. (skulling vs.sweep)
I just learned a lot right there thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas