U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:11 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,429,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnRaq View Post
Thanks, I'm coming from an area where housing was lower and you get more for your money, but the schools were low performing within that district. So, I'm willing to have less house and pay more for my children to have better schooling.
Oh, trust me, I know. I moved here from Memphis, TN and I also used to teach there. I couldn't sell my house and get me and my family to Dallas quick enough.

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 08-02-2015 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 11:15 AM

9 posts, read 15,967 times
Default rent for a while

why don't you rent for an year and then pick the area you want to live in, that way you got an idea of the area yourself. i myself moved from Memphis last summer started renting, people suggested me to buy immediately but i wanted to see for myself and pick a suburb. earlier this year , i contracted to build a home in mckinney and will move in a few months. even though i could have saved some money if i bought it right away, i am still happy because i navigated around and picked the location myself.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:43 AM

171 posts, read 307,300 times
I agree with sammrm22, get an apartment close to work for about a year. That will give you time to navigate the freeways here, find the communities you like etc. That is what we did when we came from WV, having never even been here before! We bought a house in Lancaster. The schools have made big improvements and are about to get some new campuses and have some schools completely rebuilt. Housing prices are still pretty good and going up.

There was an article I read recently that talked about how Lancaster was going to be the new up and coming area. Looking forward to it. Some restauranteurs and film producers opened up a restaurant in the square and are rebuilding the theater.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM

5,074 posts, read 3,770,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsclark View Post
I agree with sammrm22, get an apartment close to work for about a year. That will give you time to navigate the freeways here, find the communities you like etc. That is what we did when we came from WV, having never even been here before! We bought a house in Lancaster. The schools have made big improvements and are about to get some new campuses and have some schools completely rebuilt. Housing prices are still pretty good and going up.

There was an article I read recently that talked about how Lancaster was going to be the new up and coming area. Looking forward to it. Some restauranteurs and film producers opened up a restaurant in the square and are rebuilding the theater.
I also believe only good things ahead for Lancaster. HOWEVER the schools have a way to go, and new campuses are not yet built. For someone needing schools NOW, waiting for the improvements is not a good option.

I remember when you were buying your adorable home (also remember the photos). You did so great and it pleases me that you are happy in Lancaster. We need more CD posters contributing to the Dallas forum from the southern burbs.

Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 PM

3 posts, read 1,435 times
I think you should accept a job offer further north.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM

18 posts, read 14,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Oh, trust me, I know. I moved here from Memphis, TN and I also used to teach there. I couldn't sell my house and get me and my family to Dallas quick enough.

What area have you found best to fit your family?

Old 08-19-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IreneRay View Post
I think you should accept a job offer further north.
You are probably right!

Old 08-19-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammrm22 View Post
why don't you rent for an year and then pick the area you want to live in, that way you got an idea of the area yourself. i myself moved from Memphis last summer started renting, people suggested me to buy immediately but i wanted to see for myself and pick a suburb. earlier this year , i contracted to build a home in mckinney and will move in a few months. even though i could have saved some money if i bought it right away, i am still happy because i navigated around and picked the location myself.

I can't wait to leave Memphis! I know god has something better in store for me...Within in my field I've had plenty feedback from corporations, so I'm thinking I won't have that hard of a time finding a job.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:50 AM

455 posts, read 1,834,207 times
I know exactly where AAFES is located and you definitely DO NOT want to live in that area. Previous posters have offered good advice and the drive from SW Arlington with good schools (Martin attendance zone and a straight shot on I-20) would be an easy commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or