Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 08:05 AM

60 posts, read 71,000 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We are looking to build a pool and are looking for recommendations on subcontractors in the DFW area.

We will need sub's for excavation, rebar/steel, concrete (gunite or shotcrete), plumbing, masonry and carpentry.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 PM

3,037 posts, read 8,319,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovCruisin View Post
Hello all! We are looking to build a pool and are looking for recommendations on subcontractors in the DFW area.

We will need sub's for excavation, rebar/steel, concrete (gunite or shotcrete), plumbing, masonry and carpentry.

Thanks!!
Are you acting as the General Contractor? If so have you ever done that before?

Old 08-03-2015, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Are you acting as the General Contractor? If so have you ever done that before?
Yes, my husband and I will be acting as the GC. No we have not been GC's for pool construction - but my husband has worked in construction for over 15 years (everything from day laborer, superintendent, and project manager) so we are more than capable of handling it.

Just need some recommendations on good subcontractors

Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 PM

19,489 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Yes, my husband and I will be acting as the GC. No we have not been GC's for pool construction - but my husband has worked in construction for over 15 years (everything from day laborer, superintendent, and project manager) so we are more than capable of handling it.

With respect this is a terrible idea. Ask your hubby to DM me. I'm a GC - commercial construction only though.

1. At the end of the day the area's best/better/good subs will simply not work for you when they can work for me/another GC who will pay them for certain. Most of my subs have worked for me for 20 years. If you need them and I need them - you have no chance because I've taken on deals at 0% profit to keep them busy - I've literally bankrolled them at 0% rates for months to keep them going.

2. First time owner/GC's are too often impossible to work for from a sub's perspective. Everyone has da Vinci's eye on Billy Carter's budget.

3. This advise is less about you and more about the fact that good subs around here are booked for months in many cases.

Thinking for another second.......
The only way you might be able to pull this off without taking on massive risk is if you can bankroll the job with cash or with an LC or provable equity loans....There is a contractor out of Fort Worth who does 4 of the 5 key trades needed for a pool and they are great. If you show then cash or close you might be able to be GC with them.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 PM

3,037 posts, read 8,319,148 times
Quote:

You're on your way there then. I ask only because I have encountered plenty of people who have tried to GC a project that went really bad as they had no experience. Unfortunately for others they never realized that a more complex project (those involving multiple subs) can turn real ugly with finger pointing between subs when things don't work out.

I can understand the desire to control the process to ensure a good product. However there is a lot of benefit to using a professional company for such an expensive undertaking rather than trying it ourselves. A reputable pool company has a lot to lose by doing it wrong and/or not supporting the installation if issues arise.

I certainly wish I could provide you names for good subs. The best tend to keep busy enough working for GC's and are not typically interested in side work.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

Old 08-04-2015, 02:26 PM

177 posts, read 309,901 times
I've never done this before, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! :-)

Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
I've never done this before, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night! :-)
Huh...?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
With respect this is a terrible idea. Ask your hubby to DM me. I'm a GC - commercial construction only though.

1. At the end of the day the area's best/better/good subs will simply not work for you when they can work for me/another GC who will pay them for certain. Most of my subs have worked for me for 20 years. If you need them and I need them - you have no chance because I've taken on deals at 0% profit to keep them busy - I've literally bankrolled them at 0% rates for months to keep them going.

2. First time owner/GC's are too often impossible to work for from a sub's perspective. Everyone has da Vinci's eye on Billy Carter's budget.

3. This advise is less about you and more about the fact that good subs around here are booked for months in many cases.

Thinking for another second.......
The only way you might be able to pull this off without taking on massive risk is if you can bankroll the job with cash or with an LC or provable equity loans....There is a contractor out of Fort Worth who does 4 of the 5 key trades needed for a pool and they are great. If you show then cash or close you might be able to be GC with them.
Who is the contractor in Fort Worth you mention?

Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 PM

19,489 posts, read 17,709,775 times
Quote:
Who is the contractor in Fort Worth you mention?
I'm having a drink with their lead estimator tonight. Where roughly do you live? I'll DM you tonight.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'm having a drink with their lead estimator tonight. Where roughly do you live? I'll DM you tonight.
East Texas, around Heath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas