Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:54 PM

446 posts, read 845,553 times

Advertisements

I agree w others here, $900 is way too much just to switch from CAT5e to CAT6 on existing drops. IIRC our builder charged $50 per existing drop to switch from 5e to 6. I'd pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 03:02 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,236 times
It doesn't take any more labor to run Cat 6 vs 5e. Go buy a 1000 ft box of Cat 6 and say use this.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters%...rds=cat6+cable

Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM

9 posts, read 11,024 times
Cat5e should suffice for your needs, you're not running a data center in your study are you? :-)

Btw for others that might be interested, instead of paying for additional Cat5e (or Cat 6/7) drops in multiple locations (and paying the additional builder costs), simply go with the default one or two Cat5e locations that the builder offers and use powerline adapters for the other locations. With powerline adapters, your home's electrical wiring is used as the wired data network - Powerline networking: what you need to know | TechRadar

NETGEAR Powerline 1200 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters 2Pack White PL1200-100PAS - Best Buy

Sorry I realize this might be a bit too geeky but it's actually a lot easier to setup than you might think

Old 08-13-2015, 03:51 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
I just did my home in Cat5. The home was prewired with it for certain rooms, but they didn't finish the job... they left everything tied up in the attic! No patch panel, nothing. Ran a few more lines to more ideal places and terminated everything in a closet with a patch panel and our modem/router.

The thing is, most people will never use the maximum speeds that Cat5e is capable of. It's rated up to 1000Mbps. To put that in perspective, there are very few areas/homes out there that even have an option of anything close to that speed right now.

Furthermore, even if those kinds of speeds from your internet provider were more common... your usage would still be low, because streaming internet and tv, even on multiple computers, tvs, and tablets, are still streaming compressed data, or a low resolution. It took YEARS for high definition television broadcasts to be the norm (and most of them are still only 720p or 1080i!) It won't be until 4k data transmission starts (which is still many years away) that you'll see a spike in speeds needed. Even then, unless you are running multiple sources at once, Cat5e should still be sufficient for UltraHD streaming.

Our internet is 75Mbps... Max through our provider is 100. I get 80 Mbps all throughout the house, and that is plenty of speed for multiple people using the network at the same time. I'm nowhere near the limits of the cabling.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:53 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obeewan View Post
Cat5e should suffice for your needs, you're not running a data center in your study are you? :-)

Btw for others that might be interested, instead of paying for additional Cat5e (or Cat 6/7) drops in multiple locations (and paying the additional builder costs), simply go with the default one or two Cat5e locations that the builder offers and use powerline adapters for the other locations. With powerline adapters, your home's electrical wiring is used as the wired data network - Powerline networking: what you need to know | TechRadar

NETGEAR Powerline 1200 Gigabit Ethernet Adapters 2Pack White PL1200-100PAS - Best Buy

Sorry I realize this might be a bit too geeky but it's actually a lot easier to setup than you might think
Powerline adapters are a poor substitute for an actual wired connection, especially if you have a large house or more than one breaker box.

Been there, done that. The further the distance, the worse it works.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:22 PM

19,775 posts, read 18,055,300 times
OK my buddy mentioned above says your GC is, "trying to bend you over the table".

He says in any reasonable bulk quantities Cat6 costs about 7 or 7.5 cents per foot more than Cat5.

He says the GC is trying to make $500 bucks off the deal.

He also says just run Cat5 and maybe an extra run of Cat5 to any media room and office.

IF the GC or installers don't ********* over on the Cat5 install you could later use it to pull fresh runs of CatX in the future.

He agrees with someone above in the future all of this will be 100% wireless.

Old 08-13-2015, 05:19 PM

179 posts, read 284,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtorichardson View Post
We are building a brand new house and are at a point where we chose the Internet wiring.
The house comes with cat5e cables default thought out the house. To upgrade the cabling to Cat6 it is $895 from Homepro. Although i know this would future proof the house...i dont think we will need 10gb speeds anytime soon. ATT uverse gigabit speeds are available in the location .. so if we needed, we can subscribe to those services.
Cat5e would deliver gigabit speeds , so will cat6 cables...

would you guys suggest getting the upgrade to cat6 for future proofing purposes?

the house would need internet for Work from home mom, Netflix, Roku, Ipad's, TV streaming etc etc..

Appreciate your thoughts
CAT6 does not support 10GbE. CAT6A does, which is a completely different cable. CAT5E supports 1GbE speeds so there is no reason to switch to CAT6 unless you need devices to support POE+. Even then you can get an injector.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:03 AM

21 posts, read 32,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
OK my buddy mentioned above says your GC is, "trying to bend you over the table".

He says in any reasonable bulk quantities Cat6 costs about 7 or 7.5 cents per foot more than Cat5.

He says the GC is trying to make $500 bucks off the deal.

He also says just run Cat5 and maybe an extra run of Cat5 to any media room and office.

IF the GC or installers don't ********* over on the Cat5 install you could later use it to pull fresh runs of CatX in the future.

He agrees with someone above in the future all of this will be 100% wireless.

Thanks EDS.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:05 AM

21 posts, read 32,050 times
Glad to hear all the suggestions. I will stick with 5e cables.
I have used powerline before.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:46 AM

206 posts, read 334,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtorichardson View Post
Glad to hear all the suggestions. I will stick with 5e cables.
I have used powerline before.
Hi,

Just saw your post and we just moved into a house wired by Home Pro. Back in October last year, at least in our neighborhood, the standard was CAT5 not CAT5e unless something changed. The upgrade cost of $900 was from CAT5 to CAT6, it may have changed, so just check it out.

Also the $900 upgrade cost was for any more drops you add too. We lived in a house for 15 years and for my needs the wireless did not cut it. All these years I tried several solutions but nothing matched hard wired for some of my applications so I added more drops and upgraded to CAT6 and never looked back. But if it was CAT5e I would not have upgraded to CAT6.

Good luck with your build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: