Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 06:12 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times

Advertisements

Sell our current house and move to the Hill Country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 PM

989 posts, read 2,441,239 times
I'd tell you what I'd do, man. Two chicks at the same time.

Seriously, I would diversify; use some for an investment property, some in equities, and some in cash/money market/high-yield checking.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Not in this market environment, and not with interest rates being what they are.

Having a mortgage at 4%, with annual inflation of 2-3% means you'd have to find an investment paying greater than 7% to come out ahead. It can be done, but it's also more risk.

In this hot market in this area, paying off the mortgage is investing in real estate... which has been going up at 10% a year around here. It's guaranteed that you won't lose your equity in your home, at least for the next few years. Can't say that about the stock market.
First inflation doesn't have anything to do with it. It's actually your friend with debt because it makes overall value of your debt less.

Say you have a mortgage of $400,000 at 4%. You will pay 687,478 over 30 years. So if you pay off the loan you save yourself 287,478 over 30 years. That is your opportunity cost.

An investment of 400,000 with the return on an S&P index average for 30 years is 8,419,990.66. Over 8 million profit over pay the house off option.

Also, the 10% appreciation on the home is still working for you. Your home will appreciate the same whether it's paid off or not. It's a non factor. It's a simply the cost of money that you are looking at.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
An investment of 400,000 with the return on an S&P index average for 30 years is 8,419,990.66. Over 8 million profit over pay the house off option.
Yeah, but you know what they say: "Past performance isn't indicative of future results"
If you really trust the direction our country is trending and trust the market, I would agree the
smarter place to put your money is in the stock market. I personally don't and prefer to to invest
in real estate.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:23 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
First inflation doesn't have anything to do with it. It's actually your friend with debt because it makes overall value of your debt less.

Say you have a mortgage of $400,000 at 4%. You will pay 687,478 over 30 years. So if you pay off the loan you save yourself 287,478 over 30 years. That is your opportunity cost.

Also, the 10% appreciation on the home is still working for you. Your home will appreciate the same whether it's paid off or not. It's a non factor. It's a simply the cost of money that you are looking at.
Inflation has quite a bit to do with it. Yes, it does make the value of your debt less... the flip side is that it makes your liquid investments worth less too. Your investments need to beat inflation to be earning you anything... and your example using the S&P is probably figured on a 7 or 8% return, neglecting inflation. So take that number and divide it in half. Then be more realistic and realize that the stock market has been great the past 6 years... We are due for a correction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
Yeah, but you know what they say: "Past performance isn't indicative of future results"
If you really trust the direction our country is trending and trust the market, I would agree the
smarter place to put your money is in the stock market. I personally don't and prefer to to invest
in real estate.
Bingo, especially in this area.

If I were younger, I'd invest more of the $400k. But I already have a healthy amount of investments, and what I care about is financial security... If I died tomorrow, I'd want my house paid off so my wife and child wouldn't have to move unless they wanted to.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:41 AM

122 posts, read 162,959 times
Pay off student loans. Get big mac value meal with the remaining money.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:28 AM

645 posts, read 835,000 times
A Ferrari and save the rest for its repairs!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:44 AM

631 posts, read 884,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
in real estate.
Real estate isn't somehow immune to macroeconomic forces. If the market crashes and the country tanks, house prices will plummet because nobody will be able to pay a lot of money for a house.

Personally, I'd give some money to my mom and invest the rest in S&P index funds.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:29 PM

551 posts, read 1,098,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Inflation has quite a bit to do with it. Yes, it does make the value of your debt less... the flip side is that it makes your liquid investments worth less too. Your investments need to beat inflation to be earning you anything... and your example using the S&P is probably figured on a 7 or 8% return, neglecting inflation. So take that number and divide it in half. Then be more realistic and realize that the stock market has been great the past 6 years... We are due for a correction.
Inflation is going to hit both uses of the money. It decreases the significant of debt or gains. You don't just apply it to one side of the equation. If you are using the same principle and time range to value both options inflation is not a factor. It nets out. If you were talking TVM then yes. 400k today is not equal to 400k in 30 years doe to inflation but that is not the question.

As for risk, all investments carry risk even real estate. That was just a simple example with moderate risk level. The point is you should be able to grow you money at a rate better than what you can lock in a mortgage for depending on the risk level you are willing to accept.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:30 PM

374 posts, read 548,726 times
Pay off my own home! Then make my backyard AWESOME!!! Then, go shopping for clothes. Do I win something now for answering this question? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: