Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:53 AM

88 posts, read 152,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharpe View Post
If its captain obvious why are you arguing against the logic?

If the financial goal is just to live mortgage free, than do it. You can take whatever piece of mind that comes with and be happy.

If the goal it to maximize your return on 400k then it's probably not the best strategy. Personally I would get more piece of mind knowing I was allocating my assess the most effective way possible over simply owning my house outright.

This is my last post on the matter because it's beating a dead horse at this point. Good luck with your investments.
Just want to say thanks to Pharpe and others who suggested to invest in equities. That was a solid suggestion.
PM me if you are in the area, I will buy you beers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2018, 01:15 PM

3,780 posts, read 1,333,552 times
I'd put it all in a suitcase & leave it in a Walmart shopping cart .... wait, someone already...... darn; im out of ideas.....

Old 06-29-2018, 01:53 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,121,948 times
I did and used it to pay off my mortgage, i already had other investments so investing it in peace of mind felt like a better decision. I must say, best ROI. As we live in a debt based society where people live beyond their means and want to feel rich, most can't even understand blessings of debt free living.

Old 06-29-2018, 01:58 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,742,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post

Home is at a sub-4% rate, so I wouldn't bother with that. I'd pay off my 6% student loans and invest the rest in equities.
You're comparing a risky investment with a risk free investment. I'm not saying one vs the other is the right choice (it still might be equities). Just saying that you can't automatically tell yourself it's better to invest in US equities at high single digit expected return against the guaranteed return of paying off debt, even if it is low interest debt.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:26 PM

54 posts, read 84,107 times
I've been in this situation, although the home value was a little lower. Paid off the mortgage. It felt great.

However, doing it differently this time around. The math is extremely compelling on investing vs paying off a 3.875% mortgage.

It also depends how much of your assets that represents. I don't want 100% of my assets wrapped up in my home equity. In my ideal (but still realistic) world, I'd have this allocation:
50% retirement investments
25% taxable investments
25% home equity

When the house becomes a small enough part of my overall net worth that it doesn't ding my other plans/returns to have it paid off, I like the feeling. But I would want a net worth of around $2M before paying off a 400k mortgage.

Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM

23,690 posts, read 9,247,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonelion View Post
1. Buy an investment home in Plano for cash and rent it out.
2. Buy a new home in Plano/Frisco and rent it out.
3. Invest in Equities
4. Payoff your own home
i would buy some stock.

Old 06-29-2018, 04:54 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,216,774 times
I would pay off my student loans and car. With the rest I would invest in stock and buy a multi unit (4 plex) apartment in a different market, possibly Cincinnati.

There are a ton of reasons I wouldn't want to buy a rental property in north Texas, but the foundation issues, high property taxes, and high cost to get into the market are are a few of them.

Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,385,894 times
All in first hand on black jack and hit a 21 then take the money and go pay all debts, set school funds for kids, donate to charity and go travel the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonelion View Post
1. Buy an investment home in Plano for cash and rent it out.
2. Buy a new home in Plano/Frisco and rent it out.
3. Invest in Equities
4. Payoff your own home

Old 06-30-2018, 08:23 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTXGuyHere View Post
I would give it all to the TheTXGuyHere and ask him to spend it on good things and make world a better place. LOL

Here are my suggestions

Use 80K -- Open a Jimmy Johns ( 120k - 300k profit)
Use 40k - 20% down payment on a townhome - rent it for 2k per month. ( 5k per year profit + increasing equity in house)
Use 30k -- Open a Subway

Remaining amount, I would buy a house and use the equity as collateral to get the above business started.
I guess the "open a Subway" might have backfired

Old 06-30-2018, 08:24 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,496,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I would pay off my student loans and car. With the rest I would invest in stock and buy a multi unit (4 plex) apartment in a different market, possibly Cincinnati.

There are a ton of reasons I wouldn't want to buy a rental property in north Texas, but the foundation issues, high property taxes, and high cost to get into the market are are a few of them.
Or Pittsburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: