Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 14,334 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Around April I will be looking to move from Indiana to continue my education in Information Technology in either Houston or Dallas, which city do you think would be best for a professional, single 26 year old. I am really into music/concerts and really anything involving the arts so that's a pretty big deal for me, also a reasonably good social scene with other singles. I like to go out to the bar and drink as much as the next guy but I am really not that big into going out and drinking all the time. I heard Austin is the place to be for that kind of scene but unfortunately there is not a school campus near that area so I have to choose between either Dallas or Houston, any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you guys in advance,
Victor
USMC

Old 08-21-2015, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,191 times
The arts doesn't get much better then what you have here in Dallas. We have the Arts District in Downtown with the AT&T Performing Arts Center, Gexa Energy Pavilion, and the Verizon Center and Dallas has plenty of places to get your everyday drink on. Texas Instruments is a huge tech company as well as Raytheon in McKinney which works with Military equipment. Hope you become a Dallasite!

Old 08-21-2015, 08:33 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Both are awesome cities with stong arts scenes. The weather is the big difference, both are hot but Dallas is less humid. Houstons edonmy is getting hit harder by oil and gas layoffs right now so economically Dalas is stronger at the moment.

Austen's a nice little city with many residents wanting Austin to stay weird. They are near hills and lakes and even less humid than Dallas. Less humid means less water and that is a bigger challenge as you move west. Dallas has its water challenges but abundant water resources are not so far in far SE Oklahoma.

Last edited by Johnhw2; 08-21-2015 at 08:45 PM..

Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
Both are good for arts and music though -- if you're into indie bands and such -- I find that Houston seems to get left off itineraries for touring groups slightly more than Dallas. It seems that many times bands, if they come to Texas, will play Austin (of course) and DFW and not play H-town.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
I've lived in both, and you really can't go wrong with either in correlation with your wants. I do prefer DFW over Houston in terms of topography and weather. A bit more of a rolling landscape, and much less humid.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:54 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
Moderator note: there are literally dozens of threads discussing this topic, with hundreds of posts debating the minor differences between both cities. In the future, please use the "search the forum" function before posting. Thread closed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas