Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2015, 09:29 PM

5 posts, read 3,500 times

Advertisements

We are househunting and keeping our options open. We found a nice updated 2001 home under $230K in East Allen at Bethany Ridge Estates right next to Bethany Lakes Park (Bethany Dr and S Allen Heights). I've heard West Allen is nicer but I've heard overall, all of Allen is a great suburb to live in. Our criteria is 1995+ and under $250K, maybe $275.

I like the location - close to park, close to highway. I'm a consultant that moves from client to client within Dallas area. Current client is in Farmers Branch, but I will probably be searching for a new job likely in Plano/Addison/Richardson in the next year or two.

We have been looking around Plano, Murphy, Allen. Carrollton would be nice but we are having a hard time finding homes there meeting our budget and not being outbid. I welcome any suggestions!

Last edited by w3stfa11; 08-25-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 PM

94 posts, read 284,996 times
It's a nice area. I live a few miles North in Allen and work all over DFW. Bethany Lakes is further to 121 than the West side of Allen, but not a big deal. Easy to get to 75 from there, as you know. That price range moves quickly throughout the metroplex. The condition of the home can vary greatly in the sub $250 price range homes that I have seen lately.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 3,500 times
Yeah, I've found some severely overpriced homes for $250K. Or they're much older, like pre-80s. But I guess that's the market today. I may need to bump up my budget to $275k

Old 08-26-2015, 08:32 AM

127 posts, read 165,084 times
If your commute keeps changing with clients then try to find something more central. East Allen doesn't offer many options for commute. I would keep looking in Richardson, Carrollton and Plano for homes, sitting on market due to cosmetic flaws. You can always fix and fresh those with little money and lots of elbow grease. Dated looking homes offer much better value now because immigrants and transplants rush towards newer and updated stuff.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
I have family in that neighborhood. It's a very nice, safe area. The park is lovely. It's easy to get to Central Expressway from Bethany, plus you have easy access to all of the shopping/restaurants at Watters and Fairview.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:37 AM

45 posts, read 52,707 times
I live near there. It is a nice quiet area with older homes. Lots of parents walking kids to the elementary school in the mornings and the park is nice. The Kroger near there is the best in Allen IMHO; older but managed very well. Since it is a couple of miles from 75 with lots of intersections, it adds to the time to get to 75, but it is easily doable if you are going to be working in Plano or Richardson. You can also take Greenville all the way down if you care to avoid the interstate.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:21 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFJag View Post
I live near there. It is a nice quiet area with older homes. Lots of parents walking kids to the elementary school in the mornings and the park is nice. The Kroger near there is the best in Allen IMHO; older but managed very well. Since it is a couple of miles from 75 with lots of intersections, it adds to the time to get to 75, but it is easily doable if you are going to be working in Plano or Richardson. You can also take Greenville all the way down if you care to avoid the interstate.
FYI: US75 is not an interstate, it is a US highway. The closest interstates are I635 and I35E.

The neighborhoods there are also close to the great shopping/restaurants at Watters Crossing and even the shopping/restaurants/outlet mall at 75 and Stacy.

Agree about the Kroger being one of the best in the Dallas area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas