U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 12:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,122 times

Advertisements

I have a short business trip to Fort Worth the week of February 12th that I extended so I could check out Dallas the following weekend. I have reserved a room at the historic Melrose Hotel and just want to know what folks in Dallas would recommend I do or see during a weekend. I love architecture, museums and will eat anything that is not moving, so tell me what is unique to Dallas that other cities don't have. Are there any hidden gems for dinning out or places that are not overrun by tourists? Thank you in advance for your recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 12:47 PM

5,412 posts, read 14,291,727 times
I live in FW and occasionally visit Dallas. When my siblings visited me last year and wanted to check out Dallas for a day, I asked here what would be the best way to spend a day. Most indicated Fair Park (http://www.fairpark.org/index.cfm - broken link) (where the Cottonbowl is) would be the best way to spend the day. There are many activities to do at FP, such as museums, exhibits, etc. Also, check out Welcome to Dallas!. Have fun!

Old 01-27-2008, 12:51 PM

4,136 posts, read 13,447,911 times
If you are a fan of the famous soap "Dallas" you may want to check out Southfork Ranch in Parker in the burbs of Dallas.

Also, the Fort Worth stockyards are fun.

Go to Sunny's BBQ for good food.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:09 PM

6,585 posts, read 22,825,721 times
The World Aquarium in downtown Dallas near the West End is very cool. You can get through there in 3 hours and it's really good. The Dallas Museum of Art is downtown as well and is nice. The 6th Floor Museum is downtown, of course, as is Dealy Plaza if you want to see JFK related stuff.

Old 01-27-2008, 01:12 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,116,328 times
The JFK museum in the West End was very moving. I wasn't born when the whole incident happened, but they did a great job in conveying the emotion and sentiment of the time.

The Richardson museum in Fort Worth is really cool... we were surprised it so large and had a great collection of western art.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:31 PM

1,536 posts, read 5,510,122 times
Excellent! These are the kind of items that I am looking for. Thank you! If there are other suggestions, please let me know. This is one of three business trips I will have to make there.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,113,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
Excellent! These are the kind of items that I am looking for. Thank you! If there are other suggestions, please let me know. This is one of three business trips I will have to make there.
Here are the links to two other great sites (besides the Welcome to Dallas! link listed above) that you might find useful also:

Guidelive.com (http://www.guidelive.com/portal/page?_pageid=33,97296&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL - broken link)

Fort Worth, Texas

Enjoy your visits and Welcome to Texas!

Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 PM

2,783 posts, read 5,988,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
The JFK museum in the West End was very moving. I wasn't born when the whole incident happened, but they did a great job in conveying the emotion and sentiment of the time.

The Richardson museum in Fort Worth is really cool... we were surprised it so large and had a great collection of western art.
I also thought the JFK museum was very well done and is a must see for DFW visitors.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:12 PM

455 posts, read 1,876,019 times
Definitely see the Sixth Floor Museum in the old School Book Depository building downtown. Also downtown are the Nasher Sculpture Garden and Dallas Museum of Art. Both are excellent and I see I'm not the only one recommending them. I haven't been yet but friends told me the new Dallas County Museum is interesting (in the Old Red courthouse) but that might be more interesting to locals than tourists.

Don't rule out Fort Worth while you're here! They have world-class museums like the Kimball, Amon Carter and the new Fort Worth Modern, all of which are fantastic. The Kimball and new Modern are known worldwide to architecture enthusiasts for their buildings so touring them is like two tours in one - the collections + great architecture!

Have fun while you're here!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 AM

441 posts, read 1,594,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAztec View Post
I have a short business trip to Fort Worth the week of February 12th that I extended so I could check out Dallas the following weekend.
Outside of Ft Worth there is a real drive-in theater (Brazos). And the only Dr. Pepper bottling plant that still uses pure cane sugar.

Both are in my gps file of Dallas-area waypoints (60k, .gpx). Human-readable version here. I mainly use it for my own reference so don't expect some kind of tourguide quality information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or