Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 5,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

1. If the GC isn't there who is unlocking the house for subs?
2. If he really isn't paying subs and does not you should expect liens.
3. How do you know he is hiring people of the street?
4. Not having a physical address for the guy.......sorry to say is a BIG problem.
5. I'm not claiming this guy is one of them but there are a few Irish Traveler types posting a GCs and really screwing people over on residential rehabs and pools. However, I haven't heard of these guys working in Plano.
6. Did the guy pull permits?
7. Along with the other stuff in the other post try to find out if he filed permits. If he did they'll have his info. most likely - although he could have lied.

Not to pile on the OP - this is potentially a very bad situation.........

Do not EVER hire GC a without verifying insurance and bonding if appropriate.
Get a list of subs and call a couple of them. If the GC is a crook subs will know and tell you. If he won't give you a list hire someone who will.
Get an address for every GC.
Pull permits every time.
I realize I have made a huge mistake and am trying to figure a way out. This is my first time doing such a big job and it's turned into a nightmare. I was at the house for 4 days while they were working. I spoke to the guys doing the popcorn ceiling and they were not paid and never saw the GC. The GC didn't pay 2 of them and they ended up walking off the job. GC brought in 1 other guy and he has not been paid yet. I am no longer at the house as I don't have time to babysit it. He is hiring guys off Craigslist and such. There is a posting on Craigslist stating not to work with him (found it after I hired him). He has not pulled permits. But he is not working outside. I don't know much about this so I don't know when permits would have to be pulled. As for the door, there is a combination lock with a key on the door. This is how the workers get in and out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, with a BUT.

I fended off a BS subcontractor lien in 2013. Only cost me $200 to a lawyer to write a scary letter.

I think the OP has much bigger problems right now than subcontractor liens tho, would you agree?
Do you have the lawyers name and number?

Old 09-01-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieplaya View Post
How in the world did you find this contractor? What exactly was the $20k for, please tell me that was for more than just removing popcorn and retexturing the ceilings/painting...otherwise you really got screwed!

If you aren't physically there, how do you know they aren't paying the people off the street? I'm assuming they don't have your contact info...so how did you find out?
The guy was recommended by someone. And I failed to do the proper checks. The contract is for multiple other things in the house including flooring, granite tops & sinks, painting inside/outside & cabinet resurfacing and stain and more.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
The guys a crook and he'll take your money. Cut your losses.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:15 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Scraping popcorn ceiling is one thing, but I wouldn't let someone so shady touch anything else in that house. Additionally, I can't believe you're just letting random strangers have access to your home. You have zero idea who they are, the GC is apparently a crook and there isn't a single thing keeping them from coming by in the middle of the night and stripping your house of appliances, ceiling fixtures, plumping fixtures and taking the copper from the AC unit.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:32 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times
If you have never met the contractor, what kind of contract do you have? I am having a hard time understanding why you would let someone you haven't met and didn't vet put a lockbox on you house.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM

19,778 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes, with a BUT.

I fended off a BS subcontractor lien in 2013. Only cost me $200 to a lawyer to write a scary letter.

I think the OP has much bigger problems right now than subcontractor liens tho, would you agree?
In the short term I would agree that the OP has bigger fish to fry.

A BS sub-contractor lien is not the same a lien placed in good faith by a sub who got screwed over by a fraud/drunk/scammer GC.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfs1 View Post
I realize I have made a huge mistake and am trying to figure a way out. This is my first time doing such a big job and it's turned into a nightmare. I was at the house for 4 days while they were working. I spoke to the guys doing the popcorn ceiling and they were not paid and never saw the GC. The GC didn't pay 2 of them and they ended up walking off the job. GC brought in 1 other guy and he has not been paid yet. I am no longer at the house as I don't have time to babysit it. He is hiring guys off Craigslist and such. There is a posting on Craigslist stating not to work with him (found it after I hired him). He has not pulled permits. But he is not working outside. I don't know much about this so I don't know when permits would have to be pulled. As for the door, there is a combination lock with a key on the door. This is how the workers get in and out.
DM me address as I mentioned above. I might be able to wheel by tomorrow.

Jebbus H...............your house is as good as wide open for every scum bag in area.

If you want me or one of my guys to take the key, lock the house and send the key to you let me know.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
If you have never met the contractor, what kind of contract do you have? I am having a hard time understanding why you would let someone you haven't met and didn't vet put a lockbox on you house.
Every real GC in the area is covered up busy. Virtually every serious sub. across all the trades is behind. It's very tempting to go with someone who says he can start next week at a discount. When the real GCs are saying it'll be 6 weeks at full boat retail.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Every real GC in the area is covered up busy. Virtually every serious sub. across all the trades is behind. It's very tempting to go with someone who says he can start next week at a discount. When the real GCs are saying it'll be 6 weeks at full boat retail.
This is exactly what happened to me. Everyone was very busy and couldn't even come out to give a quote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: