U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:40 AM

10 posts, read 4,635 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been on this site multiple times as a viewer/reader but never have posted. I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently purchased a home in Plano and hired a general contractor to renovate the home. I currently live out of state and it has become very difficult to monitor the progress. I have paid the contractor about 40% of the job and he has yet to complete 10% after 10 days of work. He is hiring people off the street and not paying them so they are leaving. Over the past 10 days, 4 different people have worked on my ceiling removing popcorn. And it's not a big house. It's just not fair to the people working and I could be slapped with a lien. This is my fault because I didn't do the proper checks I should have done prior to hiring this guy. Can anyone suggest a good lawyer who can guide me through this relationship. At this point I just want out and take my losses.

I also want to point out that the contractor has never showed up to the site (my house). He said he would but never showed.

Thank you.

Last edited by Smurfs1; 09-01-2015 at 12:17 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 12:47 PM

6,268 posts, read 12,105,445 times
Have you actually seen the progress on the house with your own eyes? Do you have a written contract with this contractor?

How much have you paid? There's really not enough info in your post for anyone to help you. How much was the total supposed to be, and what work was supposed to be done? You'll need to really flesh out the details before an attorney would even bother taking the case, because 10 days isn't long at all.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:56 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,386,899 times
What are you thinking of suing over? You need to show somehow you have incurred damages. Contractor needs to be allowed to have reasonable time to complete contract.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM

10 posts, read 4,635 times
@ MckinneyOwnr - Yes, I have seen progress but it's very slow. He promised a 2 week turnaround and has yet to complete 10% of the job over 10 days. What worries me most is the fact that he is hiring people off the street and not paying them. These subcontractors could put a lien on my home. The contractor has not showed up to the work site at all (ever). None of the subs/workers have seen him or met him. We all deal with him via phone/email. I do not have a physical address for this guy. Everything seems shady. Total job was for $20k.

@ froglipz - I am not looking to sue. I just want advice on how to make sure I don't end up holding the bag at the end of this mess. The fact that no one has physically seen him and he never shows up to the site worries me.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:35 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfs1 View Post
Hi,

I have been on this site multiple times as a viewer/reader but never have posted. I am hoping someone can help me.

I recently purchased a home in Plano and hired a general contractor to renovate the home. I currently live out of state and it has become very difficult to monitor the progress. I have paid the contractor about 40% of the job and he has yet to complete 10% after 10 days of work. He is hiring people off the street and not paying them so they are leaving. Over the past 10 days, 4 different people have worked on my ceiling removing popcorn. And it's not a big house. It's just not fair to the people working and I could be slapped with a lien. This is my fault because I didn't do the proper checks I should have done prior to hiring this guy. Can anyone suggest a good lawyer who can guide me through this relationship. At this point I just want out and take my losses.

I also want to point out that the contractor has never showed up to the site (my house). He said he would but never showed.

Thank you.
I'm a GC but I never touch residential. Send me a DM with an address, name of contractor, scope of work agreed to etc. I'll ask around and stop by.

GCs.......1/2 are gold and the other 1/2 are ex-cons and general scum bags

Don't mention the guy's name on any social media or here. Guys like him love to sue for liable and slander.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
@ MckinneyOwnr - Yes, I have seen progress but it's very slow. He promised a 2 week turnaround and has yet to complete 10% of the job over 10 days. What worries me most is the fact that he is hiring people off the street and not paying them. These subcontractors could put a lien on my home. The contractor has not showed up to the work site at all (ever). None of the subs/workers have seen him or met him. We all deal with him via phone/email. I do not have a physical address for this guy. Everything seems shady. Total job was for $20k.

@ froglipz - I am not looking to sue. I just want advice on how to make sure I don't end up holding the bag at the end of this mess. The fact that no one has physically seen him and he never shows up to the site worries me.
1. If the GC isn't there who is unlocking the house for subs?
2. If he really isn't paying subs and does not you should expect liens.
3. How do you know he is hiring people of the street?
4. Not having a physical address for the guy.......sorry to say is a BIG problem.
5. I'm not claiming this guy is one of them but there are a few Irish Traveler types posting a GCs and really screwing people over on residential rehabs and pools. However, I haven't heard of these guys working in Plano.
6. Did the guy pull permits?
7. Along with the other stuff in the other post try to find out if he filed permits. If he did they'll have his info. most likely - although he could have lied.

Not to pile on the OP - this is potentially a very bad situation.........

Do not EVER hire GC a without verifying insurance and bonding if appropriate.
Get a list of subs and call a couple of them. If the GC is a crook subs will know and tell you. If he won't give you a list hire someone who will.
Get an address for every GC.
Pull permits every time.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
@ MckinneyOwnr - Yes, I have seen progress but it's very slow. He promised a 2 week turnaround and has yet to complete 10% of the job over 10 days. What worries me most is the fact that he is hiring people off the street and not paying them. These subcontractors could put a lien on my home.
I am NOT a lawyer, but...

Can subcontractors file liens on my home when I paid the contractor but he failed to pay his bills? - Avvo.com

Old 09-01-2015, 02:01 PM

177 posts, read 235,650 times
Quote:

How in the world did you find this contractor? What exactly was the $20k for, please tell me that was for more than just removing popcorn and retexturing the ceilings/painting...otherwise you really got screwed!

If you aren't physically there, how do you know they aren't paying the people off the street? I'm assuming they don't have your contact info...so how did you find out?

Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM

The answer is yes.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM

23,599 posts, read 31,143,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
The answer is yes.
Yes, with a BUT.

I fended off a BS subcontractor lien in 2013. Only cost me $200 to a lawyer to write a scary letter.

I think the OP has much bigger problems right now than subcontractor liens tho, would you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or