Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:11 PM

4,488 posts, read 4,962,189 times

Advertisements

I'm jewish....and I still ask new jewish guests for food in our home, their level of observance.
Better to ask them, then a message board.
Have a great time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,692,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
I'm jewish....and I still ask new jewish guests for food in our home, their level of observance.
Better to ask them, then a message board.
Have a great time.
Exactly. Families vary in their faith.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:13 PM

447 posts, read 320,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Not necessarily. As a Jew, I know many many other Jews. Some will happily eat a cheeseburger but some of those same people would recoil in horror at pepperoni on a pizza. Others will eat bacon but not jello or marshmallows.

Keeping kosher isn't a binary thing. It's a spectrum.

BEST advice is ASK THE GUESTS.

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

The reason I put on this post is because we emailed them and they said they love everything but I do know they don't eat pork.

They are very kind people so I really think the reason they told me they love everything could be that they want me to have an easy preparation, however, I want everyone to be happy and enjoy my cooking.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 PM

Thank you all for your kind replies.

We actually emailed them and they told us they love everything but I know this is more likely the case they want me to have an easy preparation as I know they do not eat pork, and I want them to be happy so I will try my best.

I will only keep prawn for other non-Jewish guests and skip the other shell fishes. I will add salmon on though. And there will be more vegetables especially some vegetable salad. I am reading kosher rules in WIKI and googling for kosher grocery shops now. ))

Again thanks everyone.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:48 AM

Great response lily.
There are so many jewish resources on the net as far as meal planning and recipes are concerned . There are some major holidays for us coming up in case your interested.
Hope all goes well.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,186,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
And if you went to someone's house knowing they were going to order a pizza, you would be sure to tell them you don't want pepperoni. I'm Jewish also, and my friends are all different. The people who care about what they eat will say something. I always say I don't eat pork or seafood when people ask my preference. I love my cheeseburgers, and I don't consider bacon as pork. Bacon is bacon.

My point is that people will tell you if they have a dietary need. If they don't tell you, they will probably eat whatever you put in front of them. People with allergies always say their allergy. It's the same thing.
People don't always tell you. I still say it's always better to ask.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:23 AM

99 posts, read 150,114 times
Also, be careful about hidden pork in products such as lard and bacon. It can easily sneak into dressings, sauces and condiments.

I know that seems like common sense, but I have a friend who doesn't eat pork and you'd be amazed how many people don't realize bacon is pork.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:36 PM

Yeah that pork is everywhere!! I love southern style green beans and collard greens....but can't eat 'em if I know bacon has been swimming in the pot with them

Old 09-06-2015, 12:18 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone here.

The dinner was very successful.

Our Jewish guest loves the beef ribs and garlic egg plant very much. He is not that strict with diet and he likes meat more than vegetables.))

Everyone enjoyed it. I am so proud of my little one being a nice host who would constantly bring everyone some of his favorite snacks.

Thanks again.

Old 09-06-2015, 04:58 PM

18,556 posts, read 7,326,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily76 View Post
Hi everyone, we will have a Jewish guest coming in this weekend.

I am preparing for the food menu now. I only know they can not eat pork.
Lol. This is hilarious.

There is nothing that "they" can't eat. Some Jews keep kosher; others don't. You need to ask!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas