U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,743 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hubby and I are relocating from Oklahoma to the Dallas area in June, 2016. I have thirteen years public school teaching experience and would like (LOVE) to find a job teaching secondary English (middle school sixth grade would be my "dream" job). His office will be in Plano and we are hoping to live in or very close to the district where I teach.

Does anyone know if Denton, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, or other nearby school districts hire experienced teachers? I have seen that salaries are negotiable in Texas - but am coming from a climate where experienced teachers can have trouble getting hired simply because they're "too expensive." (Salaries are set by the state legislature in Oklahoma).
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2015, 08:32 AM
 
27,452 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
Salaries have state minimum...many districts in DFW metro pay a supplement.
Principals do have a budget for personnel needs...
Maybe some flexibility depending on what slots need filling...
They might try to negotiate your experience years so your salary comes down--but if district pays more than OK you might come out ok even then.
You can transfer your OK retirement plan to TX and buy more years of service but be aware that in TX MOST districts do NOT pay i to TRS and SS.
You likely will have the offset and windfall profit penalties applied to any spousal SS benefits you might be eligible for when you turn FRA....as well as any of your personal SS earnings you might have from other employment...even teaching in OK if there were SS deductions...

You can search job postings by region on the sites that TEA sponsors...
Dallas area would be your search zone if you are considering Plano for living area--you don't want Tarrant--too long a commute for most part...You can check a map there...

ELA is probably over served in that there are usually more applicants than jobs. But if you have good stats that helps. Don't know if OK and TX have reciprocity for certification. State rating for schools has certification % of teachers as one rating factor. Hiring uncertified teachers hurts ratings so they don't like to do it.
You should ask your principal in OK if s/he has any friends/contacts in Plano area---personal contact very useful in job search.

School started and most openings likely filled but there are always issues...illness, pregnancy leave, relocation...
Just remember there are likely subs working in the district who want a full time job and are known by personnel...sometimes to their advantage and sometimes not...
Sub pay can be decent if you get decent classes...get know at some schools...
Doesn't pay to sub in more than one district IMO...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2015, 08:11 PM
 
Location: The Village
1,622 posts, read 3,884,230 times
Reputation: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Salaries have state minimum...many districts in DFW metro pay a supplement.
Principals do have a budget for personnel needs...
Maybe some flexibility depending on what slots need filling...
They might try to negotiate your experience years so your salary comes down--but if district pays more than OK you might come out ok even then.
You can transfer your OK retirement plan to TX and buy more years of service but be aware that in TX MOST districts do NOT pay i to TRS and SS.
You likely will have the offset and windfall profit penalties applied to any spousal SS benefits you might be eligible for when you turn FRA....as well as any of your personal SS earnings you might have from other employment...even teaching in OK if there were SS deductions...

You can search job postings by region on the sites that TEA sponsors...
Dallas area would be your search zone if you are considering Plano for living area--you don't want Tarrant--too long a commute for most part...You can check a map there...

ELA is probably over served in that there are usually more applicants than jobs. But if you have good stats that helps. Don't know if OK and TX have reciprocity for certification. State rating for schools has certification % of teachers as one rating factor. Hiring uncertified teachers hurts ratings so they don't like to do it.
You should ask your principal in OK if s/he has any friends/contacts in Plano area---personal contact very useful in job search.

School started and most openings likely filled but there are always issues...illness, pregnancy leave, relocation...
Just remember there are likely subs working in the district who want a full time job and are known by personnel...sometimes to their advantage and sometimes not...
Sub pay can be decent if you get decent classes...get know at some schools...
Doesn't pay to sub in more than one district IMO...
OP isn't moving here until June, so subbing isn't an option.

If you wait until June to start a job hunt, you're mainly going to be looking at Dallas ISD, and not necessarily the most desirable campuses. I'm a DISD teacher, but unless you're coming from Tulsa Public Schools or OKC Public Schools, DISD would be a massive culture shock. I would start looking for job fairs early in the second semester, and would drive down to a few.

I would advise you to complete all Texas requirements (especially any content testing, which I think you can complete in OK) well before June. I know a couple of people coming in from out of state who enrolled in a Texas Alternative Certification program to get their Texas certificates, but I'm not sure how that process works. I would look at the Texas Education Agency website for more info.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16 PM
 
27,452 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
Yes--I did miss the June 2016

Don't waste money paying for Alternative Certification
Check the TEA website and see what you might be able to do online from Okla
What special Certs do you have now?

Also spend time looking at various districts in area and see what you can weed out
Check how district is organized
Some do 6th in elem, some in middle

Consider writing letter to lead ENGLISH or 6th grade teacher of any school that appeals expressing interest
Some principals take advice from lead teachers
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2015, 10:42 PM
 
6 posts, read 4,743 times
Reputation: 11
Thank you both, very much. From what TEA website says, Texas is reciprocal, so I'd qualify for a temporary one year certificate with the condition that I complete Texas requirements. From what I can tell, I'd need to take a specific Texas educator exam (it's late, and I can't think of its exact title), and I will definitely get it taken care of before June - seems like the safest move. As I type this - I'm thinking, I will just call TEA to find out .

Job fairs are a great idea.

Loves2Read, My certifications are English, Brit Lit, American Lit, World Lit, 6-12 (Secondary). I was in the process of adding Middle Level Science (for Oklahoma) when we decided we'd actually be moving out of state. Here, it would be a test for an additional certification; not sure if that would qualify me for the same in Texas.

I'm not coming from TPS, but have friends/former colleagues who work there - part of me is intrigued, and part of me knows that what theloneranger says is true. I've had experience with students from generational poverty as well as ELL, but not an entire student body. In my current school, about 20% of my kids are below poverty line/homeless.

Had not even thought about the districts which may have sixth in elementary - good point and thank you.

I am very excited about the move - but definitely want to stay in the classroom. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 09:12 AM
 
127 posts, read 105,447 times
Reputation: 156
Plano ISD prefers experienced teachers. A good number of their employees come from neighboring districts and private schools. However, they are very strict about Texas certification and continuously send teachers for refresher courses and additional training, even substitute teachers are required to have certification.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2015, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
597 posts, read 475,186 times
Reputation: 1810
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPetals View Post
Hubby and I are relocating from Oklahoma to the Dallas area in June, 2016. I have thirteen years public school teaching experience and would like (LOVE) to find a job teaching secondary English (middle school sixth grade would be my "dream" job). His office will be in Plano and we are hoping to live in or very close to the district where I teach.

Does anyone know if Denton, Frisco, Plano, McKinney, or other nearby school districts hire experienced teachers? I have seen that salaries are negotiable in Texas - but am coming from a climate where experienced teachers can have trouble getting hired simply because they're "too expensive." (Salaries are set by the state legislature in Oklahoma).

Fellow Okie here. I was certified in 1995 and when I got my TX license in 2012, I took 3 exams - a general exam that all teachers have to take and then 2 math tests. One of the math tests was for grades 4 through 8 and the other was for grades 8 through 12. They were all fairly easy. One of my pet peeves is all the different tests each state require. But I digress.

Anyway, beginning salaries for 0 years hovers around $50k and generally step up about $400 per year. So, the money difference between you vs. 5 yr. teacher would be about $2K. I highly doubt the districts you listed would turn away a good teacher for $2K. This is the 3rd state that I have lived in and I don't find this to be my experience.

Also, don't forget there are a lot of private schools in the area. You should research those schools and check their websites often early spring for job positions. I am a sahm right now, but I check often just to see what the market is. Good luck.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
 
40 posts, read 28,466 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc62 View Post
Plano ISD prefers experienced teachers. A good number of their employees come from neighboring districts and private schools. However, they are very strict about Texas certification and continuously send teachers for refresher courses and additional training, even substitute teachers are required to have certification.
That's NOT true. SUb teachers should have a degree..Certification is not required. Certified subs get paid more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 05:46 AM
 
27,452 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Reputation: 14041
YSubs are not consodered "teaching employees"
They are not on a continuing contract
Subs need college degrees in most districts and often there are two,pay scales--lower for just college, higher for certified to teach
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 PM
 
106 posts, read 137,536 times
Reputation: 85
People will tell you ELAR has too many people. Blah blah blah. Every year ELAR at the high school level is always needed in almost every district. That is because there is a steady churn of English I and II subject teachers because of the current EOC regime. Competent english teachers are in demand in the metroplex. Teachers in general are in demand in the metroplex which is why there is a sizable number of out of state hires as of the last several years.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top