Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 09:15 AM

81 posts, read 142,881 times

Advertisements

I just had a look at homes in Plano/Allen and the wife loves the new homes. Which basically means I'd have to buy in Allen ISD. I originally wanted to buy in the Plano West for the established school, but now it seems like I need to understand Allen ISD more. I don't have kids yet, but I will very soon, so school district is important to me. My expectation is that I buy now, and don't "need" to move for the next 25 years.

My agent said Allen ISD is great but I've read enough here to know that Allen HS is at least a tier to 2 down from Plano West for a strong student. I'd like to imagine that the high school is good after 20 years, but its a bit to bank on. Is there any things happening that suggest they will improve? How is there elementary and middle school compared to PISD.

I would personally feel okay buying a home in Allen if, 1, the elementary is just as good as PISD. And 2, there is a very good chance that the High School would improve dramatically.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:49 AM

127 posts, read 165,113 times
There is no guarantee that you'll live in that house for 25 years. There is no guarantee that you'll have kids in next 5 years. There is no guarantee that school level would be same when your kids would start school. There is no guarantee that you'll be working for same employer in same office for 5 years. There is no guarantee that your health or finances would allow you to maintain a house for next 25 years. There is no guarantee that DFW market is going to stay afloat for 5 years. There is no guarantee that you and your spouse will be together in next 5 years.

In my opinion you are a couple, buy any house that you like anywhere you like and enjoy life. Just don't buy above your means, so you have extra money to travel and have fun. Focus on building your career,invest in 401k and save 20% of after tax income. When you do have kids and they are ready to go to school, reevaluate your situation. Even if you conceive within one year, you have 6 years until he starts public school.

Last edited by Emc62; 09-06-2015 at 11:26 AM..

Old 09-06-2015, 07:45 PM

168 posts, read 274,479 times
And many years before high school. And there is no guarantee your kid will be one who would be happy at an uber competitive school. Allen ISD is solid and a very good district. From what I'm seeing with the demographic shift in west Allen, I think it will continue to be a solid district. I have 3 kids from K to 6th in Allen ISD. I'm very happy with the district. My three kids are about as different as can be. My oldest is a solid A/B student, my middle is in the gifted program, and my youngest appears to have dyslexia. IMO, only 1 of my 3 would do well with the competitiveness at West Plano. And from lots of things I've heard, where we are is much better for kids with learning differences.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:49 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
There is no guarantee...

Old 09-06-2015, 07:52 PM

It's true that top schools and colleges aren't a good fit for everyone but Plano is an open enrollment district, not a selective private. Most students are average and most of them do good as well. Unfortunately, kids can be unhappy at non competitive and mediocre schools too so there is no guaranteed formula that kids would thrive if there is less competition, they may never get inspired.

However, it doesn't matter for OP's requirements, not for >6 years.

As far as your second point, itsnt Allen but Plano ISD, which is known for best learning disability support in Texas.

Last edited by Emc62; 09-06-2015 at 08:01 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 08:09 PM

168 posts, read 274,479 times
My point really was you have no guarantees at all. Everyone wants the best for their child. Lots of people also assume their child will be brilliant even before they are born. Just because a parent or both parents may be gifted or highly motivated doesn't guarantee a brilliant child who wlll need or be happy at the "best" school. Truly gifted kids will do well most anywhere that offers a safe learning environment.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:13 PM

81 posts, read 142,881 times
i totally get the point here. but id still like to imagine id stay in the house the next 10 years. so this is why i only care about the elementary quality in this thread. I'd like to at least want to buy a home where allen elementary is comparable to west plano's elementary (the area im looking at is wyatt, skagg, andrew).

Old 09-07-2015, 12:54 AM

468 posts, read 475,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers33 View Post
i totally get the point here. but id still like to imagine id stay in the house the next 10 years. so this is why i only care about the elementary quality in this thread. I'd like to at least want to buy a home where allen elementary is comparable to west plano's elementary (the area im looking at is wyatt, skagg, andrew).
If those are the schools you need to match you're not going to find it in allen or anywhere else in texas. But keep in mind that MANY of those kids are attending private afterschool tutoring so you better be up for that for your kids too. Otherwise, your child will feel inferior in that environment, in elementary school?? For some people/families that lifestyle is all they know from their homeland. But why would you want to do that to your kids if you didnt grow up that way. It can be a lot of pressure.

Old 09-07-2015, 06:51 AM

371 posts, read 553,714 times
I live in the belly of the beast :-) in the Andrews zone and disagree with the above. None of my kid's friends (nor my kid) attend after school academic tutoring (including the Asians). I am fairly active volunteering in the school as well and there is no academic pressure as such (heck they don't have letter grades till they enter third grade and even there it is just to get used to the system). Many kids do attend weekend religious and culture classes (Indian, Chinese, other). There are some kids who do attend Kumon or similar but these are the ones that want to get into Mathrocks or whatever. A lot of the after school classes kids attend are for extra-curriculars - music, sports, martial arts etc. I am Asian and I want my kids to have what I did not have - a well-rounded education (including extra-curriculars; all we had was academics!). Many of my friends think the same way.

Wyatt is quite similar from what my friends tell me. Skaggs maybe a tad more competitive...

That being said, when the kids get to Rice (middle school), it gets more competitive (though more at the 8th grade level). Jasper (grades 9-10) is very competitive but then the kids go to Plano West (11-12) and it is competitive but also a large class so there is room for everyone with all kinds of interests.

To keep things in perspective, there will always be a percentage of students who are uber-competitive (tiger mom syndrome contributes too) but there is always a place for a good student who will find the positive peer pressure to their advantage. This has been discussed ad infinitum in various threads - would you rather have your child be in the top 20% (say) in a competitive school or the top 5% in a less competitive school?

You certainly don't have to worry about this at the elementary level - I think some of the posters above are exaggerating things.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers33 View Post
No. Allen schools aren't at that level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: