U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 08:01 PM

904 posts, read 899,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Completely agree. Just b/c every food chain imaginable is located here, it doesn't make Dallas a "foodie" city or destination. Those are NYC, Chicago, San Francisco, New Orleans etc.
I've found the vast majority of people I've come into contact with here have no idea what good food is. Coworkers sing the praises of Red Lobster, Pappadeaux's, etc. They get excited when a new chain opens in the neighborhood. It's just not something I'm used to. In New Orleans, most neighborhoods fight chains opening.

As far as outdoors, Dallas has things to do, but there isn't an overabundance of things to do. I predict you'd get bored quickly here.
Then quite frankly, most of the people you are in contact with are not foodies. It doesn't speak to the entirety of the Metroplex, it speaks to the level of interest in food of the people in your circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:24 PM

461 posts, read 776,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Then quite frankly, most of the people you are in contact with are not foodies. It doesn't speak to the entirety of the Metroplex, it speaks to the level of interest in food of the people in your circle.
Of course they're not foodies, that was my point. I'm not really referring to people in my circle, but many of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis during the course of the workday, at the gym, etc. Some of the restaurants recommended to me as "awesome" "fantastic" "best ever [insert food]" are truly underwhelming.

The people in my close circle of friends are pretty adventurous food wise and we often try out new restaurants, but most of them are not Dallas natives either.
And of course there are some great non chain restaurants here and knowledgeable foodies, but not to the extent I've seen in New Orleans, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco. Those are just world-class food destinations.
No one is visiting Dallas to go on a culinary tour.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 AM

351 posts, read 421,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
Of course they're not foodies, that was my point. I'm not really referring to people in my circle, but many of the people I come into contact with on a daily basis during the course of the workday, at the gym, etc. Some of the restaurants recommended to me as "awesome" "fantastic" "best ever [insert food]" are truly underwhelming.

The people in my close circle of friends are pretty adventurous food wise and we often try out new restaurants, but most of them are not Dallas natives either.
And of course there are some great non chain restaurants here and knowledgeable foodies, but not to the extent I've seen in New Orleans, NYC, Chicago, San Francisco. Those are just world-class food destinations.
No one is visiting Dallas to go on a culinary tour.
agreed; also, could it be said, that though Dallas has some solid historical aspects, a few cool things going for it and some nice folks, comparatively speaking, does Dallas lack "authenticity"? Just sayin'...

Old 09-25-2015, 01:13 AM

5,738 posts, read 1,761,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
A nice green area is around White Rock Lake. Although the lake is a non-swimming lake, there is a lot of activity around it. Neighborhoods around here have lots of trees and lots of green space. Look up zip codes 75214, 75218, 75228.
75238 has plenty of green space as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas