Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,954 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!
My family is considering moving to Dallas.
I read that there is plenty to do and see in this beautiful city.
My question is: we are outdoor people, from California. We love to go hiking and see trees, lakes with our 2 little boys. Which are would you consider the greenest and also safest to live?
I read somewhere that the Far Noth is pretty good. Above the Presbyterian hospital. What do you think about that area?!
Also, Tornadoes.. is there an area in Dallas where they don't "hit" as much?!
Thank you for taking your time to answer!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 12:12 PM

137 posts, read 142,502 times
South of I-20 (Cedar Hill, etc) has some rolling hills, more greenery, and cheap housing.
And there's a lot of greenery in far east Dallas all around Lake Ray Hubbard (Rockwall, Rowlett, Heath, etc), too.
Not sure about other areas or pockets...but I'm sure there's also some more?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:16 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Do a search here about tornadoes as the topic has been discussed numerous times. Overall, tornadoes are fairly rare in DFW, although we are in "tornado alley." Historically, the areas near Lancaster and Granbury have had more tornadoes than the rest of DFW.

Where would you be commuting to for work? That's going to be the biggest factor so you don't have a horrible commute.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
A nice green area is around White Rock Lake. Although the lake is a non-swimming lake, there is a lot of activity around it. Neighborhoods around here have lots of trees and lots of green space. Look up zip codes 75214, 75218, 75228.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:47 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
historical tornado tracking for Dallas from 1952-2014:
Tornado History Project: Dallas County, Texas

Honestly, the hail storms will likely impact you far more than a tornado. I wouldn't worry about them.

White Rock lake is more of a pond with parks around it. It's fine as a place to have a picnic or rent a kayak for a bit but if I can run around it without stopping to walk, it doesn't count as a lake.

Cedar Hill area might be a good option for you.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:48 PM

^^ Well, most lakes in Texas are more for boating/watersports/fishing than swimming. White Rock Lake does have a nice trail running all the way around it, but it's not very treelined and shaded. Then again, I'm not sure how many hiking trails in DFW are?

Which is a huge consideration in the summertime, frankly!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
Also, Tornadoes.. is there an area in Dallas where they don't "hit" as much?!
No, and anyone who tells you differently is ignoring the fact that past behavior doesn't impact future probability.

But in general, not a thing to get worked up about.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:05 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
If outdoorsiness is a big deal to you, DFW is probably not going to be a good fit. The options are limited, the terrain is largely flat, and (unless you're a masochist) the summertime weather (mid-June to mid-September) is not conducive to outdoor recreation.

I would strongly advise against moving there sight-unseen. If you can, visit the area for a week - preferably in late July/early August when the summertime heat is at its worst.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
If outdoorsiness is a big deal to you, DFW is probably not going to be a good fit.
Right, if outdoorsiness is your top priority, then Texas, much less DFW, might not even be your first pick? But I assume that other priorities drew you to Dallas first, and outdoorsiness is further down your list?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM

233 posts, read 302,860 times
I wouldn't recommend moving to Dallas if you are an outdoorsy nature lover, not only because we lack decent lakes or natural beauty but also because of our weather that limits outdoor activity time. This area has a lot to offer but scenery and outdoor lifestyle ain't on that list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas