U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 08:04 AM

552 posts, read 731,514 times

Advertisements

This cultural difference among affluent parents is going to get more and more significant, in my opinion - between "Tiger Moms" and "American-style moms" for lack of a better word. China has apparently had centralized meritocratic exams for 1400 years so it's not surprising that the idea of a single exam-focused path has deep resonance.

Two articles on the phenomenon, from ten years apart:

Silicon Valley white-Asian divide: Why families self-segregate and what can be done.
The New White Flight - WSJ
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 AM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Unlike other big scoring districts where good students just bring it home, FMHS provides special support for PSAT preparation to make sure that they bring it home.
That does help them maximize, but the two work hand in hand.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 AM

552 posts, read 731,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinemon View Post
So, are there any high-performing schools with Black or Hispanic majorities with a high % of NMSFs? In Dallas, or anywhere?

Does anyone have the demographic breakdown of ALL NMSFs in the nation? Like in a handy, scrumptious pie chart?
My understanding is, a big issue here is that the top students from these areas are hugely recruited by wealthy/white private schools with a lot of scholarships, so many of the top students end up there

It's the same issue with historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). The Ivy league works hard to get all the top black students to go there, and the HBCUs are left with weaker students as a result.

Thomas Sowell wrote movingly about the old Dunbar High in DC which used to be a top black high school in the days of official discrimination. http://www.tsowell.com/speducat.html Nowadays, most of those top students would wind up in private schools, or perhaps in majority-white suburbs.

Many would cite Prince George's County, Maryland (PGC) as a center of affluent African-American communities. Places like Woodmore, Kettering, Mitchellville, Friendly, Fort Washington. A few years ago, there was a news headline about how five of the public high schools in PGC made Newsweek's list of top high schools: Newsweek List Includes Five Prince George's High Schools Among Most Challenging
The five on the list were Bowie, Flowers, Roosevelt, High Point and Oxon Hill.

Here is a list of Maryland NMSF from the same year:
http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/i...ritProgram.pdf
It appears that the only one of those five schools on the list is Eleanor Roosevelt, a magnet which is 62 percent black.
Eleanor Roosevelt High School - Greenbelt, Maryland - MD - School details

Back to Dallas, I don't know for sure but I assume that most of the top black students in the area wind up in places like Plano or private school... Edit: can't believe I forgot, but the National Achievement Scholarship program is specifically for top Af-Am students and gives a sense of where they are.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/educa...holarships.ece

It appears that they are spread out rather than at one particular school. I don't know but I assume there might be a similar program for Latino students as well.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:53 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Plano West 53/1100 (that's a guess I don't know PW's class size) = about 4.5%, PW is about 23% Asian.

Those are both old numbers for PWSH. West's enrollment looked like that 3-4 years ago, but no more. West's 2014-2015 enrollment, per the TEA, was 2887, and is likely another 3-5% higher this year .

So that denominator should be more in the 1450-1500 range.

West also skews more Asian than before.

That goes back to my posting on the overall PISD situation. If PWSH has tacked on 35% more kids, but only boosted NMSF numbers by 10%, they're actually going in reverse.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:10 AM

233 posts, read 221,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Those are both old numbers for PWSH. West's enrollment looked like that 3-4 years ago, but no more. West's 2014-2015 enrollment, per the TEA, was 2887, and is likely another 3-5% higher this year .

So that denominator should be more in the 1450-1500 range.

West also skews more Asian than before.

That goes back to my posting on the overall PISD situation. If PWSH has tacked on 35% more kids, but only boosted NMSF numbers by 10%, they're actually going in reverse.
This year was first or second year of PSAT after PWSH rezoning. Things need a couple of years to settle after significant rezoning like that. This year they had 53/1320 so still above 4%, which is beyond amazing for a diverse student body. Although it's just a matter of distinction between A+ and A but we can't be too quick to jump to pass a verdict.

Last edited by DallasG; 09-15-2015 at 09:19 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 09:20 AM

233 posts, read 221,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think that it's a cultural difference more than anything. In Plano (and similar communities with high concentration of traditional Asian families), there is a focus on academics above all else. These kids are typically in Saturday school, not out playing sports or doing other hobbies like their counterparts (with the exception of musical instruments and STEM-related hobbies which are deemed acceptable by Tiger Mom/Dad).

At HP, there is a focus on being well rounded ("enter to learn, go forth to serve" is the school motto) and thus you have very, very few kids with a singular focus on academics. My class' valedictorian was also the State Champion for tennis singles and an artist who showed. The salutatorian won the coveted "Blanket Award" for being the most well-rounded boy in our class. He had hundreds of hours of community service and was on a varsity athletic team that also won state - oh, and he was in a garage band on the side. I couldn't tell you if either were NMSF because it wasn't a big focus, but they did well enough to matriculate at Princeton and Duke, respectively.
Some truth, mostly assumptions and stereotyping.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 AM

FWIW, here are the 2014-2015 enrollment numbers for PISD.

West 2887
Senior 2756
East 2822 (includes IB freshmen /sophomores , so roughly 2500-2600 juniors / seniors )
Academy 307 (no seniors , partial junior class )

And for comparison , the out-the-door spring graduating class size for 2014, the last year of the old borders.

West 995
Senior 1261
East 1427

---

This year's starting estimates for 2015-2016 were 2992 for East (very precise there) and 2900-ish for Senior, so it would be reasonable to assume a similar increase at West, putting them over the 3k mark .

Last edited by Big G; 09-15-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 09-15-2015, 09:50 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times
Quote:
Unlike other big scoring districts where good students just bring it home, FMHS provides special support for PSAT preparation to make sure that they bring it home.
I've mentioned this before. However, I do know that other schools have copied the model (as in, came to FMHS by invitation to understand their program) so I really doubt FMHS is the only school in this bunch that has a program at this point. There's a reason the cutoff score has inched its way up from 215 (with some ups and downs) to 220ish in the past 10 years. Remember, the cutoff is the top 1/2% (unless that has changed) by state...it's getting more competitive.

Old 09-15-2015, 10:16 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Some truth, mostly assumptions and stereotyping.
So did she make any mistakes?

Old 09-15-2015, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So did she make any mistakes?

Well, there's the Chinese NMSF kid from Senior who won at state UIL in swimming last year, and the other Asian NMSF kid who's on the PSHS varsity B-ball roster. So the "Asians don't play sports " stereotype might be a bit off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or