U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 12:41 PM

267 posts, read 366,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Well, there's the Chinese NMSF kid from Senior who won at state UIL in swimming last year, and the other Asian NMSF kid who's on the PSHS varsity B-ball roster. So the "Asians don't play sports " stereotype might be a bit off.
Exceptions don't disprove stereotypes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 03:00 PM

233 posts, read 221,559 times
Quote:
Well, there's the Chinese NMSF kid from Senior who won at state UIL in swimming last year, and the other Asian NMSF kid who's on the PSHS varsity B-ball roster. So the "Asians don't play sports " stereotype might be a bit off.
Most Asian kids that my kids are friends with through UIL in sports or through non profits or through science fairs, are trying their hands on multiple EC's and not all sitting with a tutor and memorizing SAT vocabulary. Not all of their HP friends arent qualifying for NMSF because lack of effort as they spend their time on being well rounded, they do try as hard but some are NMSF material and others aren't and no amount of prep can change that. Neither are all hard working Asian making NMSF.

Last edited by DallasG; 09-15-2015 at 03:53 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 03:21 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,391,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Most Asian kids that my kids are friends with through UIL in sports or through non profits or through science fairs, are trying their hands on multiple EC's and not all sitting with a tutor and memorizing SAT vocabulary. Not all of their HP friends are spring less because lack of effort as they spend their time on being well rounded, they just aren't NMSF material.
You seem to be quite combative [mod cut]. From saying that someones stereotype is just wrong (when it's really not), to letting a long time poster know exactly how the town they grew up in is run. With that attitude, you're not going to enjoy your experience here.

Last edited by Acntx; 09-15-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 03:57 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
So, just to be clear, you are saying that all the Chinese kids in Plano ARE all sitting around with a tutor memorizing SAT vocab???

I can't address what the situation at West is, but I can tell you that at Senior, that stereotype is pretty much spot on for one of the NMSF kids. Again, for ONE of the kids. Not the other dozen.

Frankly, all this "but we're more well-rounded - too cool to bother with test scores" strikes me as sour grapes.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:57 PM

bencronin04

I'm sure that long term knowledgeable posters aren't snowflakes and they don't mind listening to counter argument even when they are right. I do appreciate your advice.

Last edited by DallasG; 09-15-2015 at 04:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 04:00 PM

3,812 posts, read 3,714,477 times
Quote:
but we're more well-rounded - too cool to bother with test scores
"Well rounded" is just a code word for "not intelligent enough to qualify based on merit, but parents are wealthy enough and he's the correct race and gender to get a seat in the c-suite".

I mean it totally implies that non-wealthy don't participate in extra-curriculars, don't volunteer, and don't have any hobbies that count vs upper middle class people which totally flies in the face of the actual statistics on such things.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
So, just to be clear, you are saying that all the Chinese kids in Plano ARE all sitting around with a tutor memorizing SAT vocab???

I can't address what the situation at West is, but I can tell you that at Senior, that stereotype is pretty much spot on for one of the NMSF kids. Again, for ONE of the kids. Not the other dozen.

Frankly, all this "but we're more well-rounded - too cool to bother with test scores" strikes me as sour grapes.
You are absolutely right.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I mean it totally implies that non-wealthy don't participate in extra-curriculars, don't volunteer, and don't have any hobbies that count vs upper middle class people which totally flies in the face of the actual statistics on such things.
But how can they? They're spending all day at Kumon!

Old 09-15-2015, 04:12 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,391,863 times
This thread has gotten ridiculous. Mods?

Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
This thread has gotten ridiculous. Mods?
Yeah, I think we're done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or