U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2015, 03:31 PM

1,462 posts, read 3,249,110 times

Advertisements

Moderator Note: Consider this a final warning. If the the bickering and off-topic posts continue, the discussion will be closed.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:35 PM

718 posts, read 1,094,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think that it's a cultural difference more than anything. In Plano (and similar communities with high concentration of traditional Asian families), there is a focus on academics above all else. These kids are typically in Saturday school, not out playing sports or doing other hobbies like their counterparts (with the exception of musical instruments and STEM-related hobbies which are deemed acceptable by Tiger Mom/Dad).

At HP, there is a focus on being well rounded ("enter to learn, go forth to serve" is the school motto) and thus you have very, very few kids with a singular focus on academics. My class' valedictorian was also the State Champion for tennis singles and an artist who showed. The salutatorian won the coveted "Blanket Award" for being the most well-rounded boy in our class. He had hundreds of hours of community service and was on a varsity athletic team that also won state - oh, and he was in a garage band on the side. I couldn't tell you if either were NMSF because it wasn't a big focus, but they did well enough to matriculate at Princeton and Duke, respectively.
It's a bit of stereotype for the Asian community. Go and check Russel Creek on Saturdays for soccer , the list of tennis players highly ranked in the area , and many other sports. One of the reason is that for the last few years , Universities do not just rely on academic but also require well rounded students and for that reason , Asians may not play football but they are well represented in sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 03:36 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Yeah, I think we're done here.
Yeah, I'm sorry to have made the observation about lower NMSF %age relative to averages at HP & Carroll. It's an issue that is of personal as well as academic (no pun intended) interest, but certainly didn't intend for it to go in the direction it did.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 PM

11,671 posts, read 21,231,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Some truth, mostly assumptions and stereotyping.
The stereotype stands. I looked up every PWSH athletic roster of Asian-approved sports (since someone already pointed out in this thread that they don't play football....Dat Nguyen notwithstanding) and found less than 19% of PWSH students on the swimming, cross country, golf, wrestling, and soccer teams are Asian. There were 41 Asian athletes on these teams compared to 39 NMSF. Think about that. Less than 19% of varsity athletes, yet 74% of the NMSF. Sorry, but the stereotype stands.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:40 PM

205 posts, read 183,293 times
I do find it a little disheartening that none of the non-magnet schools in DISD particularly Woodrow Wilson was able to produce one as someone who is actually looking for a house in the M Streets/Lakewood area. I was also hoping that the TAG # would be a little higher.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:22 PM

344 posts, read 358,946 times
The fact that they are not on the roster does not mean they don't play the sport competitively. Many Asians (including myself) are seeing the value of a well-rounded child (academics, sports, music etc.). The stereotype can also be reversed as (paraphrasing) 'low intelligence' white kid/sports jock! Just like they couldn't make the cut as an NMSF, maybe the Asian kid did not make the cut on the team?

Quote:
The stereotype stands. I looked up every PWSH athletic roster of Asian-approved sports (since someone already pointed out in this thread that they don't play football....Dat Nguyen notwithstanding) and found less than 19% of PWSH students on the swimming, cross country, golf, wrestling, and soccer teams are Asian. There were 41 Asian athletes on these teams compared to 39 NMSF. Think about that. Less than 19% of varsity athletes, yet 74% of the NMSF. Sorry, but the stereotype stands.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
Quote:
????

Am I missing something?

Half the stereotype stands, but not the half you're promoting.

1) The Asians are ridiculously OVER-represented on the NMSF list. So the positive part of the stereotype appears to hold true.

2) However, if 19% of PISD athletes are Asian, then that's just about in-line with their 20% or so representation in the district as a whole. So, from that end, the Asian kids appear to participate in sports just as much as their non-Asian fellow students. Negative stereotype DISPROVEN, isn't it???

Or are you saying that the Asian kids would have to claim 74% of the spots on the athletic teams as well???

Last edited by Big G; 09-15-2015 at 07:03 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 07:05 PM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's interesting. While HP's NMSF results are as you say, a bit less than PW, SLC, Coppell etc. HP's average SAT score is much higher usually.

Guesses.............lots of rich and smart parents plus mostly motivated kids at HP yield very high achievement by most everyone. And just maybe these other schools have more over-achieving Asians who hammer the PSAT but also more lower achievers as well who pull the averages down a good bit.
My thought, FWIW...the HP's and Carroll's likely have more parents who, if their kids are underperforming, can throw resources at the problem to bring up their scores. OTOH, there may be slightly less incentive to push for an exceptional score if they're already doing quite well. You'll still have some overachievers and some kids who just naturally nail the tests, but the kids who are on track to be somewhere in the upper 5% or whatever may not go all out to get into the top 0.5% (because less need for scholarships or whatever) and prioritize elsewhere.

Just guessing and I could be totally wrong. The upshot is that HP and Carroll do wind up with high averages (as noted, HP is normally at around 1200 V+M compared to 1160 or so for #'s 2-5), but would appear to have lower standard deviation in their scores.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 PM

718 posts, read 1,094,405 times
Quote:
Sports are not just done in schools in Varsity teams. A good tennis player will not bother to play in a school team , but rather play in country clubs. The same goes for many other sports. Like I said before ,go and walk on a Saturday in Russel Creek park or on the fields next to the rec center on Coit. Check the danse studios or the big gyms around the metroplex. And just to be honest , not everybody will want to practice at a high level. It still doesn't mean that Asian are only focusing on academic and do not participate in sports.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:58 PM

951 posts, read 1,418,792 times
I think it is a mute point discussing why HP kids matriculate at top schools and are "well-rounded" We don't have enough data that supports how their parents, alumni and influence helped. Why does it matter? Because every minority is grossly under-represented in C-suite and other influential positions. Is the argument by the "long term" poster that the minorities don't have it in them to "make" it or is it actually "denied" opportunity? It is very well known among asians that education is the best equal but they need to work harder than the majority race.

I suggest reading "Waking up White and finding myself in the story of race" by Debby Irving. It might open up some minds especially people who think asians are one-dimensional and are not well-rounded. Things have changed a lot in college admissions... you don't just go get a tutor and break into top schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or