U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 10:43 AM

40 posts, read 28,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
So if I'm understanding you correctly, it would appear that moving ONE middle school, Rice, over from Plano Senior to West, was enough to essentially reduce PSHS from being the number 2 high school in Collin County, to now being behind Liberty in Frisco and on even terms with the likes of Allen and Plano East in terms of NMSF. This seems to say to me that the much vaunted academic strength of PISD essentially rests on two or three middle schools. Is this correct? If so, then why isn't this a much bigger cause of concern to PISD boosters? This can't be good for the district as a whole. I'm kind of disappointed in Plano East. With all the special academies and IB put over there to boost their performance, the results are underwhelming imo.
Seriously, I wish Plano built another 'Proper' High School with standard AP Courses than those academies.They did so much advertising to attract students to those. Not that it's bad, but I just wish we had another General High School, not any special one.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 10:44 AM

2,828 posts, read 3,385,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila01 View Post
Where's the Plano ISD Frisco ISD List ? please post if you have it. Thanks a lot.
Early in the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
All NMSF as listed in the Dallas Morning News today.

ADDISON:
Greenville School ~ 7

ALLEN:
Allen High School ~ 12
Homeschool ~ 2

ARGYLE:
Liberty Christian School ~ 2

ARLINGTON:
Lamar High School ~ 1
Oakridge School ~ 3

AZLE:
Azle High School ~ 1

CARROLLTON:
Creekview High School ~ 3
Hebron High School ~ 9
Prince of Peace Christian School ~ 1
Newman Smith High School ~ 1
R.L. Turner High School ~ 2

COLLEYVILLE:
Colleyville Heritage High School ~ 10

COPPELL:
Copal High School ~ 37
New Tech High School ~ 1

CROWLEY:
Crowley High School ~ 2

DALLAS:
The Cambridge School of Dallas ~ 1
Bishop Dunne High School ~ 1
Bishop Lynch High School ~ 1
Episcopal School of Dallas ~ 3
Highland Park High School ~ 16
The Hockaday School ~ 11
Homeschool ~ 2
Jesuit College Preparatory School ~ 13
Lake Highlands High School ~ 1
Parish Episcopal School ~ 2
Richland Collegiate High School ~ 1
Science and Engineering Magnet School at Townview ~ 5
St. Mark's School of Texas ~ 28
Talented and Gifted Magnet School at Townview ~ 8
Ursuline Academy ~ 2
Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts ~ 1

DENTON:
Denton High School ~ 1
Texas Academy of Mathematics and Science ~ 45

EULESS:
Trinity High School ~ 2

FLOWER MOUND:
Flower Mound High School ~ 33
Marcus High School ~ 18

FORT WORTH:
Arlington Heights High School ~ 1
Bethesda Christian School ~ 1
Boswell High School ~ 1
Covenant Classical School ~ 1
Fort Worth Country Day School ~ 2
Harmony School of Innovation ~ 1
Nolan Catholic High School ~ 3
Paschal High School ~ 8
Trinity Valley School ~ 3

FRISCO:
Centennial High School ~ 3
Frisch High School ~ 3
Heritage High School ~ 1
Independence High School ~ 3
Liberty High School ~ 16
Lone Star High School ~ 1
Lakeland High School ~ 3

GARLAND:
Garland High School ~ 6

GRAPEVINE:
Faith Christian School ~ 1
Grapevine High School ~ 10

HURST:
L.D. Bell High School ~ 4

IRVING:
Cistercian Preparatory School ~ 9
The Highlands School ~ 1
Ranchview High School ~ 1
Uplift North Hills Preparatory ~ 6

JUSTIN:
Northwest High School ~ 1

KELLER:
Central High School ~ 2
Fossil Ridge High School ~ 1
Keller High School ~ 2

KENNEDALE:
Kennedale High School ~ 1

LEWISVILLE:
iSchool High ~ 1
Lewisville High School ~ 3

LUCAS:
Lovejoy High School ~ 3

MANSFIELD:
Mansfield Lake Ridge High School ~ 1

MCKINNEY:
McKinney Boyd High School ~ 2

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS:
Birdville High School ~ 2
Fort Worth Christian School ~ 1
Richland High School ~ 1

PANTEGO:
Homeschool ~ 1

PLANO:
Homeschool ~ 1
John Paul II High School ~ 2
Plano East Senior High School ~ 12
Plano Senior High School ~ 13
Plano West Senior High School ~ 53

PROSPER:
Prosper High School ~ 1

RICHARDSON:
J.J. Pearce High School ~ 4
Richardson High School ~ 3

ROCKWALL:
Rockwell High School ~ 3

SACHSE:
Sachs High School ~ 1

SOUTHLAKE:
Carroll High School ~ 18

THE COLONY:
The Colony High School ~ 6

TROPHY CLUB:
Byron Nelson High School ~ 3

WESTLAKE:
Westlake Academy ~ 1

Old 09-16-2015, 11:00 AM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times
Quote:
Personally, while the Oklahomas and Mississippi States are all good, I'm hoping she can go to Rice if she works hard enough.
I don't know if Rice gives anything for NM, but if it does, it isn't much. And unless this has changed, Rice doesn't accept any AP credit.

Quote:
One can be a very successful, productive member of society and not be a NMSF student, even go on to be successful in the upper professional fields. A NMSF student is one who would more than likely teach medical students as opposed to being one practicing medicine. Both very honorable professions, but being the top 1%, is anything less than that a failure?
Uhh...not true at all. BTW, my husband is national merit and a resident physician...by the way, you do realize that med school instructors are mostly practicing physicians themselves?

Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM

7,279 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I don't know if Rice gives anything for NM, but if it does, it isn't much. And unless this has changed, Rice doesn't accept any AP credit.

Uhh...not true at all. BTW, my husband is national merit and a resident physician...by the way, you do realize that med school instructors are mostly practicing physicians themselves?
Rice grad here.

1. Rice discontinued all NMSF/NMF awards a couple or three years ago. Rice believes the SAT and ACT
are better predictors of collegiate success. That and they figured out to many NM kids were hogging what little scholarship money Rice has to give out.

The trend is for colleges that can't or don't won't to give out much scholarship money in order to attract top students to get away from automatic awards of any type.

2. Rice, per university policy, does accept AP credit if the student earned a 4 or 5 on the associated AP test. However, as with virtually all top colleges that accept AP credit they will try very hard to talk many kids out of using those credits.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
2. Rice, per university policy, does accept AP credit if the student earned a 4 or 5 on the associated AP test. However, as with virtually all top colleges that accept AP credit they will try very hard to talk many kids out of using those credits.
Shame. My AP credits allowed me to earn 2 degrees in 4 years.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:37 AM

233 posts, read 221,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila01 View Post
Seriously, I wish Plano built another 'Proper' High School with standard AP Courses than those academies.They did so much advertising to attract students to those. Not that it's bad, but I just wish we had another General High School, not any special one.

I've heard raving reviews about high performance of IB Academy but Health and STEAM aren't really geared towards getting you into top colleges but for non traditional students who want to dive deep into their intended professions. They aren't after adding AP and maximizing GPA. My friends in TI say that along with other companies, TI offers amazing internships to STEAM students.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
There's generally an inverse relationship between the school's reputation and the amount of money they'll throw at the National Merit kids.

The game starts with OU, New Mexico, UNLV, Alabama - schools strenuously trying to boost their reputation and/or the talent pool of their state/region. They are the ones giving out the sun, moon, and stars.

On the other end, there are schools like Rice, Stanford, the Ivies. They are going to be turning away kids, even at the NMSF level. There's no need or reason for them to offer any money, so they don't.

In between, you can find some crumbs. SMU will give you $5K/year. TCU, $2k/year. Not much, but at least it's something if you're going there anyway.

Nationally, the two best deals among fairly high-prestige schools (not Top 20 , but at least Top 50) are the 1/2 off tuition deal at USC and the $20K off/year deal at U of Rochester.

Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
There's generally an inverse relationship between the school's reputation and the amount of money they'll throw at the National Merit kids.

The game starts with OU, New Mexico, UNLV, Alabama - schools strenuously trying to boost their reputation and/or the talent pool of their state/region. They are the ones giving out the sun, moon, and stars.

On the other end, there are schools like Rice, Stanford, the Ivies. They are going to be turning away kids, even at the NMSF level. There's no need or reason for them to offer any money, so they don't.
And it is all going to come down to what you want to do. If you are going on to grad school and/or don't have deep pockets, why not take advantage of the large scholarships? As an anecdote, a fellow NM friend at OU went on to earn a 4.0 in his mechanical engineering degree and went on to get a very good scholarship deal in pursuing his PhD at a "West Coast Ivy." And it worked out very well for my husband and I...we got exactly where we wanted to go debt free. Our educations were just fine. Now if you have your heart set on an Ivy League and want to get into certain "circles?" Well, I don't know. But I guess whatever floats your boat if you are willing to pay for it.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:07 PM

1,787 posts, read 1,883,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
And it is all going to come down to what you want to do. If you are going on to grad school and/or don't have deep pockets, why not take advantage of the large scholarships? As an anecdote, a fellow NM friend at OU went on to earn a 4.0 in his mechanical engineering degree and went on to get a very good scholarship deal in pursuing his PhD at a "West Coast Ivy." And it worked out very well for my husband and I...we got exactly where we wanted to go debt free. Our educations were just fine. Now if you have your heart set on an Ivy League and want to get into certain "circles?" Well, I don't know. But I guess whatever floats your boat if you are willing to pay for it.
I'm a huge proponent of this path. My parents paid for my college. Hers didn't. She had to take a lot of loans. In a few more years when they're paid off it will really open us up financially.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
When I was doing my graduate degrees at UTD, I ran into people (kids, really - at least relative to me ) doing exactly what mSooner did at OU - come to the table with 2-3 semesters' worth of AP credits, then use the 4-year free ride to knock out both an undergraduate AND a master's degree. Slick trick, really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or