U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 01:36 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,290,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Rice grad here.

1. Rice discontinued all NMSF/NMF awards a couple or three years ago. Rice believes the SAT and ACT
are better predictors of collegiate success. That and they figured out to many NM kids were hogging what little scholarship money Rice has to give out.

The trend is for colleges that can't or don't won't to give out much scholarship money in order to attract top students to get away from automatic awards of any type.

2. Rice, per university policy, does accept AP credit if the student earned a 4 or 5 on the associated AP test. However, as with virtually all top colleges that accept AP credit they will try very hard to talk many kids out of using those credits.
Well then. I guess Rice is out as I really want to avoid loans as much as possible. Bummer though as we really like the school since the kid is looking like being on some STEM engineering path
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,565,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Are we putting WAY too much emphasis on the top 1%? I am wondering how many commenting here and wringing their hands about these statistics are NMSF winners themselves or the parents of one?

One can be a very successful, productive member of society and not be a NMSF student, even go on to be successful in the upper professional fields. A NMSF student is one who would more than likely teach medical students as opposed to being one practicing medicine. Both very honorable professions, but being the top 1%, is anything less than that a failure?

Reading thru this thread, one could draw this conclusion.
This is a good point. Like EDS, I tend to look at NMSF as another objective data point to look at, but with caveats like any other.

I'd also add that NMSF is nice (also note to EDS, you typed .05% when I'm sure you actually meant 0.5%), but obviously there is tons of room for success without hitting that marker. FWIW, I have a weird affinity for filling circles with pencil lead and was NMSF with virtually no "practice" (I may have taken a sample test or something). Granted, this was in the dark ages before everyone and their cousin did a zillion hours of test prep. I wasn't a finalist because my grades stunk because I was a lazy slacker.

Things could change in the next X many years, but I doubt my kid will be NMSF. She does well on those tests but not *WELL*, if that make sense. I'm far more driven to instill good habits in her, make sure she gets the most out of her skills, is exposed to numerous areas and will support her in aggressively pursuing those she's interested in. I figure if she does that and carries that approach forward in her life, she'll be successful and likely happy with her choices as well. It will probably also help on standardized tests, but that's a minor issue by comparison.

All those tests have a place, but I think often we get more wound up in the test itself over what it's supposed to be a (partial) measure of. It's kind of like the pro football combine - people get all wound up about what some guy ran in the 40, and forget whether or not they were a good football player for 4 years in college.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:30 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
This is a good point. Like EDS, I tend to look at NMSF as another objective data point to look at, but with caveats like any other.

I'd also add that NMSF is nice (also note to EDS, you typed .05% when I'm sure you actually meant 0.5%), but obviously there is tons of room for success without hitting that marker. FWIW, I have a weird affinity for filling circles with pencil lead and was NMSF with virtually no "practice" (I may have taken a sample test or something). Granted, this was in the dark ages before everyone and their cousin did a zillion hours of test prep. I wasn't a finalist because my grades stunk because I was a lazy slacker.

Things could change in the next X many years, but I doubt my kid will be NMSF. She does well on those tests but not *WELL*, if that make sense. I'm far more driven to instill good habits in her, make sure she gets the most out of her skills, is exposed to numerous areas and will support her in aggressively pursuing those she's interested in. I figure if she does that and carries that approach forward in her life, she'll be successful and likely happy with her choices as well. It will probably also help on standardized tests, but that's a minor issue by comparison.

All those tests have a place, but I think often we get more wound up in the test itself over what it's supposed to be a (partial) measure of. It's kind of like the pro football combine - people get all wound up about what some guy ran in the 40, and forget whether or not they were a good football player for 4 years in college.
Right, .05% would indeed be a very lofty goal LOL.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 4,888 times
Default Private School NMSF numbers

We are new to Hockaday this year and our 7th grader seems to be doing well so far. The recent announcement for NMSF numbers is kind of worrisome though. This is the second year in a row that Hockaday did not do well, especially compared to St. Marks. Hockaday just made the announcement today and included a new disclaimer in this year's announcement:
"Note to Editors: Using numbers of Semifinalists to compare high schools, educational systems, or states will result in erroneous conclusions. The National Merit® Scholarship Program honors individual students who show exceptional academic ability and potential for success in rigorous college studies. The program does not measure the quality or effectiveness of education within a school, system, or state."
What do you all think? I understand the worry about putting too much emphasis on a number but this is an objective measure and there seems to be a clear trend in the school's numbers.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:51 AM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohockaday View Post
We are new to Hockaday this year and our 7th grader seems to be doing well so far. The recent announcement for NMSF numbers is kind of worrisome though. This is the second year in a row that Hockaday did not do well, especially compared to St. Marks. Hockaday just made the announcement today and included a new disclaimer in this year's announcement:
"Note to Editors: Using numbers of Semifinalists to compare high schools, educational systems, or states will result in erroneous conclusions. The National Merit® Scholarship Program honors individual students who show exceptional academic ability and potential for success in rigorous college studies. The program does not measure the quality or effectiveness of education within a school, system, or state."
What do you all think? I understand the worry about putting too much emphasis on a number but this is an objective measure and there seems to be a clear trend in the school's numbers.
I think Hockaday is correct. Further, even with the reduced number of NMSFs recently the school's five year average and five year moving averages are mightily impressive. I don't have the figures on hand but I cyphered them a while ago.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:04 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,814,727 times
Lol, Hockaday is right, but I have a feeling that disclaimer wouldn't be there if they had different numbers.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:24 PM

6 posts, read 4,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Lol, Hockaday is right, but I have a feeling that disclaimer wouldn't be there if they had different numbers.
Exactly!

Old 09-17-2015, 12:34 PM

233 posts, read 221,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Exactly^. Let parents decide if it matters to them or not but for tuition that you charge and students that you select, you atleast bring higher numbers than no tuition and open enrollment public schools. There is no excuse for this failure.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:50 PM

922 posts, read 563,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Exactly^. Let parents decide if it matters to them or not but for tuition that you charge and students that you select, you atleast bring higher numbers than no tuition and open enrollment public schools. There is no excuse for this failure.
I love Hockaday but i have to say I agree. To whom much(in this case $$) is given, A WHOLE LOT is expected.

Not to say that these results are the be all/end all but this should be a 'Why thank you... we didn't even notice...' measure for them.

I wont even comment on Ursuline.( Guess i just did)

Old 09-17-2015, 12:52 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,386,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I love Hockaday but i have to say I agree. To whom much(in this case $$) is given, A WHOLE LOT is expected.

Not to say that these results are the be all/end all but this should be a 'Why thank you... we didn't even notice...' measure for them.

I wont even comment on Ursuline.( Guess i just did)
Agreed with the above two posters. I'll be interested to see what the SAT/ACT scores trend this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or