U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2015, 08:05 PM

7,324 posts, read 8,162,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Exactly^. Let parents decide if it matters to them or not but for tuition that you charge and students that you select, you atleast bring higher numbers than no tuition and open enrollment public schools. There is no excuse for this failure.
OK, whatever. Hockaday has cranked out an average of 19 NMSFs over the last 5 years. Each class has been something like 115/120 students. You do the math and I'll be waiting to hear about the open enrollment publics that broach that kind of success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I love Hockaday but i have to say I agree. To whom much(in this case $$) is given, A WHOLE LOT is expected.

Not to say that these results are the be all/end all but this should be a 'Why thank you... we didn't even notice...' measure for them.

I wont even comment on Ursuline.( Guess i just did)
I've got to say several of the last 6/7 posts are really out there including this one.

If you decide to pull one of your female relatives from consideration, assuming acceptance, at either school, there are hundreds of kids ready to take her place.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:27 PM

904 posts, read 896,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
OK, whatever. Hockaday has cranked out an average of 19 NMSFs over the last 5 years. Each class has been something like 115/120 students. You do the math and I'll be waiting to hear about the open enrollment publics that broach that kind of success.
11 out of 120 vs (I'll use our HS for this example) 10 out of 500. I am no math whiz but Hockaday is just fine. Yall can all quit clutching your pearls. Geez.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:38 PM

6 posts, read 4,903 times
Nobody is saying Hockaday is doing worse than public schools, you can't compare apples to oranges. The point is that compared to its own past performance and compared to comparable schools like St. Marks, Hockaday has not done well in the last two years. And it is obvious from the way the announcement was handled this year, the school itself is worried about the trend. Can Hockaday bounce back from this? Sure, no doubt about it if necessary measures are taken. Will it? Time will tell.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:

I used a bogus figure for 2013....Hockaday's NMSF average for the last five years is 17.2.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohockaday View Post
Nobody is saying Hockaday is doing worse than public schools, you can't compare apples to oranges. The point is that compared to its own past performance and compared to comparable schools like St. Marks, Hockaday has not done well in the last two years. And it is obvious from the way the announcement was handled this year, the school itself is worried about the trend. Can Hockaday bounce back from this? Sure, no doubt about it if necessary measures are taken. Will it? Time will tell.
Just upthread DallasG referred to Hockaday's NMSF performance as "this failure."

Comparing St. Marks to Hockaday via high pressure, high stakes tests isn't going to go Hockaday's way very often. For whatever reasons boys/males tend to perform better than girls/females most always on the same high pressure tests - ISEE, PSAT, SAT, ACT, SAT subject tests, LSAT, MCAT, CPA exams, COMLEX, USMLE Step 1 etc. and I think the same applies to bar exams and medical boards.

I'd also add that given the relatively small sample sizes a year or two of well below average numbers is little cause for concern. If the number of NMSFs flattens at around 10-13 for the next few years Hockaday may take note at that point.

My kids are in college and professional school now so the Dallas private school pressures are a thing of past for us. If I had a young daughter looking to got to either UA or Hockaday I wouldn't let these PSAT results sway her a bit.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 PM

1,541 posts, read 851,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
I love Hockaday but i have to say I agree. To whom much(in this case $$) is given, A WHOLE LOT is expected.

Not to say that these results are the be all/end all but this should be a 'Why thank you... we didn't even notice...' measure for them.

I wont even comment on Ursuline.( Guess i just did)

Well, you are right, schools that hand pick are supposed to outperform by a lot. Maybe the money is the problem. How much is the admission merit based, and how much it is something else..

Old 09-18-2015, 07:24 AM

233 posts, read 221,815 times
Don't feel so offended on Hockaday administration's behalf. No one is saying that they aren't most desireable, most expensive, most selective 1-12 school for girls in DFW. We were trying to compare it to their previous record and their competitors. You may not be concerned but obviously other parents are or Hockaday wouldn't have to post a disclaimer.

Anyways, though academics are very good but aren't necessarily the main attraction of that school, prestige, environment, opportunities, networking and exclusivity are so no one would pull girls out until some other private claims their number one spot.

Last edited by DallasG; 09-18-2015 at 08:15 AM..

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

922 posts, read 567,989 times
Quote:
I've got to say several of the last 6/7 posts are really out there including this one.

If you decide to pull one of your female relatives from consideration, assuming acceptance, at either school, there are hundreds of kids ready to take her place.
And your point is? I pick a school based in my criteria, dont care what others choose to do most days.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 AM

922 posts, read 567,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohockaday View Post
Thank you.
Why you even had to explain that i dont know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or