U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2015, 07:44 AM
 
267 posts, read 366,449 times
Reputation: 380

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtohockaday View Post
Nobody is saying Hockaday is doing worse than public schools, you can't compare apples to oranges. The point is that compared to its own past performance and compared to comparable schools like St. Marks, Hockaday has not done well in the last two years. And it is obvious from the way the announcement was handled this year, the school itself is worried about the trend. Can Hockaday bounce back from this? Sure, no doubt about it if necessary measures are taken. Will it? Time will tell.
The thing is, there's no way to know how many kids missed NMSF by 1 point. Hockaday's SAT average could be as high as ever, but they had 20 kids miss NMSF by 1 point rather than 10 more kids 1 point over. The total number of NMSF says something, but it obviously is only one data point. Especially with a smaller class size, the numbers are going to fluctuate wildly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 AM
 
922 posts, read 564,028 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
11 out of 120 vs (I'll use our HS for this example) 10 out of 500. I am no math whiz but Hockaday is just fine. Yall can all quit clutching your pearls. Geez.
This made me chuckle, thanks for that.
Clutching pearls, no, raising eyebrows yes.

For what its worth, i compare Hockaday to similarly selective schools. Greenhill, St Marks, Cistercian, TAMS, HPHS( that last one is selective by virtue of location) and their own past performance.

Others may not agree with this comparison. The fact that they are all girls shouldn't be a factor. If it is then thats a question for the co-ed vs not debate.....and that one makes my head hurt.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 09-18-2015 at 08:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:35 AM
 
922 posts, read 564,028 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, you are right, schools that hand pick are supposed to outperform by a lot. Maybe the money is the problem. How much is the admission merit based, and how much it is something else..
Well, Hockaday was founded to educate the daughters of the elite. And that still is, and probably always will be their primary function. That's not to say it hasn't morphed into a fine educational institution, but it is what it is.

It will probably never perform the same as a school that was founded to educate the very smart regardless of status (TAMS comes to mind, Cistercian too maybe) but it is still a very good school and still one of the best in Dallas, no matter how that came to be.

Dallas needs at least one more K-12 girls only school. Not sure why Ursuline opted out of that, there's definitely a need. Hockaday can't admit all the smart girls in DFW even if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM
 
233 posts, read 221,369 times
Reputation: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Jake Oil View Post
The thing is, there's no way to know how many kids missed NMSF by 1 point. Hockaday's SAT average could be as high as ever, but they had 20 kids miss NMSF by 1 point rather than 10 more kids 1 point over. The total number of NMSF says something, but it obviously is only one data point. Especially with a smaller class size, the numbers are going to fluctuate wildly.
This is a valid point but then again all good public and private schools have huge number of students who miss by one or two points. They get commended and that's awesome but they don't count as NMSF. I know for a fact that HPSH, COPPELL and Plano WEST always have 4-5 times commended number then they have NMSF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 09:48 AM
 
35 posts, read 25,290 times
Reputation: 43
On Hockaday, I wonder if their admission is focusing more on elite family status than academic ability. Our daughter got wait-listed twice even though she had outstanding academic credentials and much stronger than her brother who joined St. Mark's in high school. St. Mark's seems to be more meritocracy based on who we see get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
 
7,290 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Reputation: 5381
Some of you people are really out to lunch on this one.

Hockdaday is rated one of the top 50 private schools in the country based solely on academic outcomes.


Check out numbers 50, 21, and 8.

Smartest private high schools in the US - Business Insider


Last year Hockaday's SAT, averaged middle 50% range, was not quite 50 points higher than Greenhill by the same metrics (Hockaday 2105 and GH 2055).

Recent SAT averages
TAG Dallas - 1905
HP - 1780
Plano West - 1726


I think we should dispense with the, Hockaday was founded for the elite and academics come second nonsense. A school simply cannot be one of the most well thought of and top ranked privates in the country with second rate academics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 10:36 AM
 
7,290 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
And your point is? I pick a school based in my criteria, dont care what others choose to do most days.
No problem with that - you have to decide what's best or you and your family. But you should have expected pushback once you agreed with the poster who tagged Hockaday as a failure in this context - a school that has one of the very best success rates in the country BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 10:41 AM
 
7,290 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
This is a valid point but then again all good public and private schools have huge number of students who miss by one or two points. They get commended and that's awesome but they don't count as NMSF. I know for a fact that HPSH, COPPELL and Plano WEST always have 4-5 times commended number then they have NMSF.
Your last claim is incorrect. I just looked at PW for two years the ratio of NMSF to commended students was just a shade over 2 : 1 both years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 10:44 AM
 
922 posts, read 564,028 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Some of you people are really out to lunch on this one.

Hockdaday is rated one of the top 50 private schools in the country based solely on academic outcomes.


Check out numbers 50, 21, and 8.

Smartest private high schools in the US - Business Insider


Last year Hockaday's SAT, averaged middle 50% range, was not quite 50 points higher than Greenhill by the same metrics (Hockaday 2105 and GH 2055).

Recent SAT averages
TAG Dallas - 1905
HP - 1780
Plano West - 1726


I think we should dispense with the, Hockaday was founded for the elite and academics come second nonsense. A school simply cannot be one of the most well thought of and top ranked privates in the country with second rate academics.

Those are some impressive stats for Hockaday and Greenhill. Very impressive stats for Plano west given their size/enrollment.

Hockaday was founded for the reason it was founded as were many other Elite private schools and Colleges. They embrace their history. It really doesn't need defending.

Now whether they still use those same admissions practices is a topic for another thread maybe? I wont be on that one, i'm thinking the guns will come out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2015, 06:06 PM
 
7,290 posts, read 8,123,957 times
Reputation: 5381
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Those are some impressive stats for Hockaday and Greenhill. Very impressive stats for Plano west given their size/enrollment.

Hockaday was founded for the reason it was founded as were many other Elite private schools and Colleges. They embrace their history. It really doesn't need defending.

Now whether they still use those same admissions practices is a topic for another thread maybe? I wont be on that one, i'm thinking the guns will come out.

Yes that's right. My guess is you won't be. Nonsense claims fall apart in the face of quantifiable metrics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top