U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 01:12 PM

1,523 posts, read 843,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Yes but that's not what the poster described. I'm mildly familiar with Eatern European countries too(Hungary and Romania). What he described is not simple pass and fail. Average of 2 grades and above or below the line etc. It exists in highly populated countries (2.5 billion between China and India) where admission is super super competitive for professional colleges.
Ok.. Let me try again.

100 kids (for example) apply for 25 slots, the 25 with highest scores get in (they are above the line).
What I meant is that the process was quite transparent.
Even though, since exams were not multiple choice, there always might be an argument about subjectivity in grading.

And lastly, I'm a bit more than mildly familiar with Eastern Europe, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 01:39 PM

40 posts, read 28,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
The Star-Telegram has posted the 2016 NMSF listings for Tarrant County.

National Merit semifinalists: Nearly 100 Tarrant County seniors make 2016 list | The Star-Telegram

Public :

Carroll 16

GC Colleyville Heritage 10
GC Grapevine 10

FW Paschal 8

HEB LD Bell 4

Northwest Byron Nelson 3

Birdville (NRH) 2
Crowley 2
HEB Trinity 2
Keller 2
Keller Central 2

Aledo 1
Arlington Lamar 1
Azle 1
Birdville Richland (NRH) 1
Burleson Centennial 1
Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Boswell 1
FW Arlington Heights 1
Keller Fossil Ridge 1
Kennedale 1
Mansfield Lake Ridge 1
Northwest (Justin) 1

Private:

Nolan Catholic (FW) 3
Trinity Valley (FW) 3
Westlake Academy 3

FW Country Day 2
Liberty Christian (Argyle) 2
Oakridge (Arlington) 2

Bethesda Christian (FW) 1
Covenant Classical (FW) 1
Faith Christian (Grapevine) 1
FW Christian (NRH) 1
Harmony School of Innovation (FW) 1
Homeschool 1

---

Cutoff for TX this year was a record-high 220 (!). And before anyone asks - No, I don't have the totals for Plano.
Where's Collin County results?

Old 09-19-2015, 02:05 PM

1,545 posts, read 2,290,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
I would also like to hear more about the admission practices in the elite privates. And how much it is merit vs., hmm.., let's just say "holistic"

I could give an example of a fair merit based admission, imo, from my former high school (public, there were no privates), thousands of miles away, and many years ago:

School specific admission exams, different for each area of study (no multiple choice stuff, it was considered uncool to give you the answer). And then the results were on the wall (yes, with names, lol) averaged with the previous grade(s) in the particular area(s), and then you are either above the line or not.
Yep this is how it was in Nigeria. You had to take an entrance exam, results published for all to see

Old 09-19-2015, 03:25 PM

7,283 posts, read 8,116,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Whatever you say Einstein. Nonesense is relative.
There are people who understand these things and people who don't. Regardless of that - nice double Einstein reference.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:13 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,757,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila01 View Post
Where's Collin County results?
If you read the entire thread, you will find it on page 7. I spent a LONG time listing all of the ones listed in the newspaper.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 AM

1,545 posts, read 2,290,421 times
Quote:
Yep.

I agree.
Ok I see that people notice it, but again how does this not have alarm bells ringing in Plano? Essentially two thirds of the district is now served by "mediocre for Plano" schools. Unless all the powers that be live in the Plano West zone. Is there no uproar?

Old 09-20-2015, 10:11 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,792,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Unless all the powers that be live in the Plano West zone.

5 of the 7 board members fit this description, as do the vast majority of the major donors to the PISD Foundation.

Old 09-20-2015, 10:17 AM

233 posts, read 221,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Ok I see that people notice it, but again how does this not have alarm bells ringing in Plano? Essentially two thirds of the district is now served by "mediocre for Plano" schools. Unless all the powers that be live in the Plano West zone. Is there no uproar?
There isn't much dissatisfaction as "Mediocre for Plano" are still doing as good as much affluent and better then same demographic schools of other DFW districts. Plano West has more money and education so obviously they are ahead. Higher rate of their success doesn't mean that Plano isn't doing a good job for other clusters.

If we go by this rule then there should be riots in Dallas, Frisco and Richardson.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:16 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Quote:
5 of the 7 board members fit this description, as do the vast majority of the major donors to the PISD Foundation.
Actually 3 of the members live in the East cluster.

Hinton - Parker
Moebius - Murphy
Humphrey - Richardson

All are customers of mine.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:22 PM

3,535 posts, read 6,954,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
There isn't much dissatisfaction as "Mediocre for Plano" are still doing as good as much affluent and better then same demographic schools of other DFW districts. Plano West has more money and education so obviously they are ahead. Higher rate of their success doesn't mean that Plano isn't doing a good job for other clusters.

If we go by this rule then there should be riots in Dallas, Frisco and Richardson.
True. And while the Plano West/Senior realignment caught the media focus the East cluster was equally vocal about realignment within the cluster.

One of the things that came out of that was a group called East Side Cares. Parents and students from across the cluster work together to help students and schools that may not have as an active a PTA or funding to provide water and snacks during tasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or