U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-22-2015, 11:08 AM
 
233 posts, read 221,765 times
Reputation: 130

Advertisements

Exactly. Most educated and affluent parents make sacrifices to live in HP, Plano, Coppell or South Lake, though they can buy nicer and newer homes for less in any upcoming district. If they go private route then they pick St Marks and Hockaday not Parish or Ursuline.

Of course, hard working kids from educated families can make things happen in any half decent school but parents want their kids to be surrounded by likeminded peers because it is a big factor in shaping young minds. Competitive and hard working students make Ivy universities desireable, otherwise they are not much different from good state schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-22-2015, 12:55 PM
 
7,318 posts, read 8,153,875 times
Reputation: 5414
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Exactly. Most educated and affluent parents make sacrifices to live in HP, Plano, Coppell or South Lake, though they can buy nicer and newer homes for less in any upcoming district. If they go private route then they pick St Marks and Hockaday not Parish or Ursuline.

Of course, hard working kids from educated families can make things happen in any half decent school but parents want their kids to be surrounded by likeminded peers because it is a big factor in shaping young minds. Competitive and hard working students make Ivy universities desireable, otherwise they are not much different from good state schools.
I get your thesis I'd quibble with your examples. Any of the top few coed, boys or girls high schools around here are so awesome in terms of reputation, parental success metrics, parental involvement, SAT/ACT scores, college matriculation, what graduates study, graduate school attendance, everyone goes to college etc. That they are all exceptional choices for certain kids considering private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2015, 06:02 PM
 
53 posts, read 43,884 times
Reputation: 39
On top of 78 who made NMSF, 188 got commended, meaning they missed it by a few points.

National Merit Commended Students : Plano ISD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,301 times
Reputation: 10
Carroll had 18 NMSF for 2016. Star telegram misprinted 2 carroll students under westlake academy. This gives southlake nearly a 3% national merit rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 11:18 AM
 
149 posts, read 198,416 times
Reputation: 60
31 students from Flower Mound high school made it to national merit finalists. Congrats !!


http://www.lisd.net/site/default.asp...848&PageID=121
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
 
27 posts, read 20,677 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by faceoff007 View Post
31 students from Flower Mound high school made it to national merit finalists. Congrats !!


http://www.lisd.net/site/default.asp...848&PageID=121
Congratulations! 52 students from Plano West Senior High made finalists. I'll add to list that 76 students from Plano ISD made finalist, 78 made it to semifinalist round and 188 were commended.

National Merit Finalists / News Archive : Plano ISD

Allen High is bigger than Flower Mound High and Plano West but only 11 made finalists.

Last edited by H0mebuyer; 02-25-2016 at 01:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 03:15 PM
 
161 posts, read 215,372 times
Reputation: 93
How did the elite privates fair this year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 04:18 PM
 
863 posts, read 565,060 times
Reputation: 1472
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDoctor77 View Post
How did the elite privates fair this year?
St. Mark's School of Texas | National Merit Scholarship Names Finalists

25 at St Mark's, which on a % basis is pretty absurd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Plano,TX
344 posts, read 360,512 times
Reputation: 567
Thanks for posting Plano numbers. Plano West did great as usual but the drop off in Plano Senior's numbers since the rezoning is amazing... they used to be neck and neck with Plano West and now have the same numbers as Plano East.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0mebuyer View Post
Congratulations! 52 students from Plano West Senior High made finalists. I'll add to list that 76 students from Plano ISD made finalist, 78 made it to semifinalist round and 188 were commended.

National Merit Finalists / News Archive : Plano ISD

Allen High is bigger than Flower Mound High and Plano West but only 11 made finalists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-25-2016, 09:20 PM
 
161 posts, read 215,372 times
Reputation: 93
Greenhill? Hockaday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top