U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 08:56 AM

233 posts, read 221,502 times

Advertisements

Amen to that. For whatever reason our society likes to undermine academic achievements and over highlight athletic and entertainment achievements. Being a competitive student is almost like a misdemeanor.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:39 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,574,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Amen to that. For whatever reason our society likes to undermine academic achievements and over highlight athletic and entertainment achievements. Being a competitive student is almost like a misdemeanor.
Because, globally, our best is still quite mediocre when it comes to education but we can sure kick a field goal better than anyone.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,571,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppellmama View Post
Coppell High School has 36 NMSFs. Senior class size (as per the school profile available online) is 768. That works out to 4.68% of the class as NMSFs. Good job Coppell. Congratulations to all the semi-finalists.
That's superb. They may give FMHS a run for their money this year (I haven't seen all the numbers so don't know what Flower Mound's %age was for 2016).

Both Carroll and HP put up great averages, but FMHS, Coppell and Plano* generally have more high-end achievers.

*- "Plano" is the district overall. The recent feeder realignments appear to be increasing the NMSFs at West at the expense of Senior. East always lags behind them, but still puts up top ten area results with a diverse and not-very-affluent student body.

PS- haven't checked the numbers on Pearce yet.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,799,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoy View Post
Any info on Plano or Dallas Privates?
Jesuit - 13 (tied for highest ever for them)
Ursuline -2

---

PISD releases their bi-weekly e-News today, so I'd assume the totals will be in there. Rather odd they didn't do a specific press release as in previous years. Might be bad news.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM

155 posts, read 161,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Don't let him bug you......hsw has a singularly pessimistic view of education.

I agree with you, as a society we should celebrate academic high achievers more than we do.
I agree with you as well, but I wonder why there is such an obsession over NMSF numbers in the Dallas area.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM

7,295 posts, read 8,140,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
Because, globally, our best is still quite mediocre when it comes to education but we can sure kick a field goal better than anyone.
I think I understand your intent but your statement is not even remotely correct.

Our best is the best in the world by far. Check out worldwide rankings of colleges, universities, business schools, law schools, medical schools etc........those lists are totally dominated by US schools. As an example a med. school ranking out of China weighs research volume, quality of research and medical school rigor - according to them 9 of the top 10 and 19 of the top 25 medical schools on Earth are in The US - one of the top 10 is UTSW BTW.

Where we fail begins with second tier HS and college students. A lot of these kids more or less give up either skipping college or earning lower value degrees.

And below that we suck. Somehow we, society that is, must figure out ways to academically invigorate the black, Hispanic and American Indian communities. Although it's important to note that many new arrivals from Africa, Asian Indians as well, absolutely dominate in the classroom. There is a drive and a focus towards education among these cadres of people that everyone should celebrate.

In many ways we need to re-examine preconceived notions about money. According to the latest OECD numbers available regarding k-12 spending, regardless of the metric chosen, The US is a top K-12 spender ranking between 2 and 4 on almost every list. So gross money spent isn't the key issue. Finland, for one example, has much higher k-12 achievement and they spend much less than we do.

Likewise, can't simply blame US achievement gaps on family income as so many reflexively do - otherwise how do we countenance that the poorest white kids perform almost exactly as well (the gap is usually 3-5 points) as the richest black kids on the SAT test? OK you might say the SAT, a reading intensive and significantly logic based test, is culturally biased. Almost identical gaps appear on the ACT test which is nothing but an educational achievement test.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbcfy View Post
I agree with you as well, but I wonder why there is such an obsession over NMSF numbers in the Dallas area.
It's a seriously competative area. That's one of the reasons my wife and I chose to live here. Further, NMSF numbers are quantifiable as are ACT and SAT scores unlike goofy high school rankings/ratings that rely on much softer metrics.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:59 AM

530 posts, read 377,500 times
Does anyone have any insight into why Dallas area schools are so inconsistent with releasing the names of NMSF? I checked my old high school just now online and for that city every name and every school have reported. I seem to remember last year that DISD never even bothered to do a press release....

Why wouldn't every school/district do an immediate press release ?

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Jesuit - 13 (tied for highest ever for them)
Ursuline -2

---

PISD releases their bi-weekly e-News today, so I'd assume the totals will be in there. Rather odd they didn't do a specific press release as in previous years. Might be bad news.
Man that bugs me. As I've mentioned before I have a JCP grad who was a NMSF kid with little help from the school and 5 years younger UA grad who missed the cutoff by 1 point with absolutely no help from UA.

Some friends and I have for years been bugging Jesuit to ramp up its NMSF efforts. To their credit they've really stepped on the gas the last couple of years, actually that does not bug me. Ursuline's lack of effort does. Another set of friends and myself have been pushing Ursuline to at least pay attention to PSAT/NMSF numbers. We've had virtually zero success as you can see. They really believe the SAT and ACT are so much more important than the PSAT that more or less pay no attention to the PSAT.

I'm expecting solid numbers from PISD.

I forgot to add apparently JCP had 5 kids miss the cutoff by 1 point.

Last edited by EDS_; 09-11-2015 at 11:17 AM..

Old 09-11-2015, 11:42 AM

2,812 posts, read 3,571,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
It's a seriously competative area. That's one of the reasons my wife and I chose to live here. Further, NMSF numbers are quantifiable as are ACT and SAT scores unlike goofy high school rankings/ratings that rely on much softer metrics.
Also, many schools in the region offer sizable scholarships to NMSFs (actually, I think to National Merit Finalists, but something like 90% of NMSFs become Finalists).

Re: the competitiveness, it's actually something I dislike about being here - the type and manner of it annoys the heck out of me. But with the Metroplex approaching 7 million people, there must be a lot of people like EDS with a different POV.

Bottom line is "# of NMSFs" is just another metric to evaluate schools and districts when choosing where to live. Use it as you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or