U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 10:41 PM

3,166 posts, read 4,813,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Next question is what colleges/majors these NMSF's attain

And more importantly, what are incomes, say, 5yrs post-college
If they are smart, they will at least take a look at the schools that offer full or almost full rides! I'm very proud to say that my sister is among the NMSF ranks this year and she isn't looking at any school that isn't giving her a sweet deal. Smart girl.

As for the second question--my husband and I actually could provide those exact numbers, but that is a little too much sharing even on an internet forum. I will say we aren't struggling and we are both very happy we went to a school that paid for most of college due to NMF status.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 06:26 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,490,732 times
I understand ou and Alabama offer full rides to nmsf? Any others of note?

Old 09-12-2015, 08:59 AM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I understand ou and Alabama offer full rides to nmsf? Any others of note?
Lots!

Locally, UTD gives full rides to NMSF kids. Around the state, Tech and Baylor will also hook you up with a full ride or something not far off.

Some others that come to mind are Auburn, Arizona State, and UNLV.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,836 times
Not sure how accurate or complete this list is from last year but here's a list of colleges that will give you (close to) a full ride or more to finalists

53 Colleges Offering Full Tuition Scholarships for National Merit Finalists - The College Matchmaker

Last edited by coppellmama; 09-12-2015 at 11:02 AM..

Old 09-12-2015, 10:41 AM

2,809 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Lots!

Locally, UTD gives full rides to NMSF kids. Around the state, Tech and Baylor will also hook you up with a full ride or something not far off.

Some others that come to mind are Auburn, Arizona State, and UNLV.
I don't know if this is regional or recent or what, because Back In My Day, my friend who was NMSF received very little for that (the school he attended handed him something like $1,000/yr, and other schools he considered were in the same ballpark. Even accounting for inflation it wouldn't be much today). Certainly nothing close to a full ride. But this was in the Old Days when the PSAT was something of an afterthought.

And as previously noted that's another reason people pay attention to NMSF here - many regional schools throw a ton of scholarship money at kids who achieve it.

As to the Plano stuff - anyone have numbers on classes at West/Senior/East? I started to look up the 2013-14 class sizes but can't recall all the specifics of the realignment so don't know how to properly estimate current classes from the 10th grades of the feeders (assuming that can even be done). Looking at 2013-14 data, West had 1,084 12th graders and 1,489 11th graders, so that makes a huge difference in calculating %NMSF. I completely agree that the shift of high achieving students out of Senior and over to West is a negative for the district as a whole, and am surprised that an ISD that otherwise appears as well-run as Plano overlooked that in formulating their plans.

ETA - posted this before seeing coppellmama's link. Yes, region plays a huge role. I grew up in IL, and even currently few schools in that area give large awards to NMSF/NMF. by contrast, per the link, there are 8 TX schools, 4 in OK, 6 in AL, 1 in LA, 3 in MS, and 2 in AR that give full rides or close (out of 53 nationwide, so almost half are pretty close by).

Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 AM

5,951 posts, read 7,490,732 times
Thanks interesting a lot of small church of Christ schools offering full ride for nmf. Looks like local state school decision too as only one of two large state schools offer and the other nothing. The "state" schools more often than not do nothing.

Old 09-12-2015, 10:52 AM

1,540 posts, read 2,289,454 times
That's why I've gotten my 8th grader tutors for math and English. Don't know if she will get there (NMSF) but it won't be for lack of effort

Old 09-12-2015, 12:10 PM

530 posts, read 375,562 times
Back in the 80s when I graduated in a different part of the country, NMSF didn't seem to mean much money. My memory is that the scholarships were $500 per year so it didn't influence college choice much. My school had 10 semifinalists I don't think any of us actually used a scholarship.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM

233 posts, read 221,170 times
Plano East was given two academies so they didn't loose anything in rezoning. Plano West obviously gained double power. Plano Senior did loose their power house to West but looking at their demographics, they'll bounce back and to be fair, they are still better than best high schools of most neighboring districts.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:21 AM

7,279 posts, read 8,112,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Good idea, poor execution.

There were two issues that the board of 2009 were trying to solve:

1) Overcrowding at Plano East - the school had over 3000 kids, and was already using a warren of portable classrooms. That zone was projected to grow by hundreds more over the next 10-20 years, as the east side continued to be built out. (If anything, actual growth has exceeded projections - the "reduced" PESH is now back up to 2992 kids for 2015-2016- so that was clearly a correct call.)
2) Split feeder at Jasper - In the old system, 3 middle schools fed to Jasper High for grades 9-10. Then, for grades 11-12, these kids would be split up. The Rice and Schimelpfenig kids to Senior, the Robinson kids to West. This was a logistical nightmare for sports teams, speech teams, band/orchestra - basically any extracurricular that spans the full 9-12 sequence.

There were a bazillion different ways to cut that Gordian knot. But every last one of the proposals that were floated included moving Rice over to West. That never got challenged, because no one ever paid any attention to how that would impact the academic demographics of the schools. The other issues were more hot-button.
OK thanks. I never understood why everyone was so up in arms about the realignment. Because the only part of that-that received much press attention was the overcrowding and soon to be severe overcrowding at PESH.

Is there any talk about remediating some of these effects or are the good people of Plano, especially those loyal to Sr. going to have to hold their water for years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or