U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:09 PM

2,346 posts, read 5,791,659 times

Advertisements

The Star-Telegram has posted the 2016 NMSF listings for Tarrant County.

National Merit semifinalists: Nearly 100 Tarrant County seniors make 2016 list | The Star-Telegram

Public :

Carroll 16

GC Colleyville Heritage 10
GC Grapevine 10

FW Paschal 8

HEB LD Bell 4

Northwest Byron Nelson 3

Birdville (NRH) 2
Crowley 2
HEB Trinity 2
Keller 2
Keller Central 2

Aledo 1
Arlington Lamar 1
Azle 1
Birdville Richland (NRH) 1
Burleson Centennial 1
Eagle Mountain-Saginaw Boswell 1
FW Arlington Heights 1
Keller Fossil Ridge 1
Kennedale 1
Mansfield Lake Ridge 1
Northwest (Justin) 1

Private:

Nolan Catholic (FW) 3
Trinity Valley (FW) 3
Westlake Academy 3

FW Country Day 2
Liberty Christian (Argyle) 2
Oakridge (Arlington) 2

Bethesda Christian (FW) 1
Covenant Classical (FW) 1
Faith Christian (Grapevine) 1
FW Christian (NRH) 1
Harmony School of Innovation (FW) 1
Homeschool 1

---

Cutoff for TX this year was a record-high 220 (!). And before anyone asks - No, I don't have the totals for Plano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 02:24 PM

951 posts, read 1,418,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
And before anyone asks - No, I don't have the totals for Plano.
How could you?

Thanks for the post

Old 09-09-2015, 04:43 PM

900 posts, read 892,089 times
I just saw these in FB. So proud of GCISD. Maybe it will start getting the recognition it deserves!

Old 09-09-2015, 05:02 PM

9,504 posts, read 19,501,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
I just saw these in FB. So proud of GCISD. Maybe it will start getting the recognition it deserves!
Yay for Grapevine!!!!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:18 PM

951 posts, read 1,418,792 times
Great numbers by GC. Isn't Carroll down from last year?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:53 PM

Again, so proud of GCISD- I would be interested to see the actual enrollment of the applicable Carroll, GHS and CHHS senior classes and see if the NMSF percentage is higher or even equal. Sure seems like it might be. I am working on finding them and will report back if I do.

Old 09-09-2015, 10:14 PM

2,810 posts, read 3,564,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
Great numbers by GC. Isn't Carroll down from last year?
Yes it is. 22 last year, 16 this year. Looks like last year was a bit of an outlier for Carroll.

Interestingly enough, the numbers for GHS and CHHS are NOT much different than last year. This year it's 10 each, last year it was 11 for Heritage and 8 for Grapevine. http://dallas-area-schools.blogspot....finalists.html People just keep overlooking GCISD for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
Again, so proud of GCISD- I would be interested to see the actual enrollment of the applicable Carroll, GHS and CHHS senior classes and see if the NMSF percentage is higher or even equal. Sure seems like it might be. I am working on finding them and will report back if I do.
Here's the 2013-2014 TAPR report (most recent I can find) for Carroll HS: http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/sa...mpus=220919003

There were 623 10th graders, who would now be 12th graders. Although that number has undoubtedly changed a little, it's probably "close enough" to work with. 16 NMSFs out of that is 2.57%, a respectable performance.

Grapevine's 2013-14 report is here. Short answer is 565 10th graders. 10 NMSF works out to 1.77%. Also very good, but not quite as good as Carroll.
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/sa...mpus=220906001

Colleyville Heritage had 581 10th graders, a tiny bit more than GHS. For all intents and purposes, those 2 schools are essentially equal in size. Both schools have graduating classes almost 10% smaller than Carroll
http://ritter.tea.state.tx.us/cgi/sa...mpus=220906004

Obviously, if one can get more accurate numbers on the 2015-16 classes, that would be great. That said, short answer is that CHHS and GHS remain roughly equal to each other by most metrics (although CHHS has a rep as "better" than GHS, any actual difference seems to be de minimis. Must be those apartments around GHS scaring people). Neither puts up quite the numbers Carroll Senior does, but then they both have more diverse socioeconomic student bodies than Carroll Sr. GCISD is often overlooked because it's not quite at the levels of Carroll/Plano/Coppell or FMHS, yet both high schools are usually between #11 to #15 in SAT averages among DFW open enrollment publics.

I like Southlake overall, sure, but it seems to suck up all the oxygen in the "just west of DFW airport" room. Grapevine has a historic and interesting downtown, some excellent shopping, and a good location for many commutes. Colleyville doesn't have the shopping of Southlake (although it's right next door. Like seriously, an extra 5 minute drive will kill you?), but is a little quieter and a bit more eclectic and not as...well, "Southlakey" (although if you want fancy, there are parts that are just as up there as Southlake). Yeah, I know, the football teams aren't nearly as good.

Nice to see GCISD get noticed a bit.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:03 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,447,065 times
Only one from all of the public Arlington High schools? There's a fairly sizable Asian Community still living in Lamar High school area but the school seems to be sinking lower and lower. Back in the late 90s when my cousins went to Lamar it made US news best schools list, now it's in a free fall to the bottom. It will happen to more places though.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:15 AM

180 posts, read 128,605 times
you cant lump all asians in the same boat. some are fresh off the boat, others come by plane and then there are others who actually live on boats who are actually pacific islanders. which ones live in arlington? i sure dont know any asians living there.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:14 PM

Good job on the numbers Synch! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or