U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 PM

5 posts, read 3,804 times

Advertisements

Hey gang, as the title states, how is the Dallas economy? How friendly is the community and resources for small business owners? How competitive is the market? How high is the cost of living? A little background info on me. I'm a South Florida native (Miami) and have been considering moving, and starting up elsewhere. I love Miami for its weather, beaches, beautiful ppl, and cultural influences, but it is getting ridiculously expensive to live here. The cost of living is just too high. Miami is known as the playground for the rich and it shows. The city better caters to those who are wealthy, or already financially established. I am a Hispanic male, 32, no kids. I am an automotive technician that specializes on German brand cars, though really, I can fix any car. I have been independent, and mobile for 2 years, and have finally decided to take the official plunge and become a full fledged repair center. Dallas appeals to me for several reasons: it is similar to Miami in weather, tho I have it understood, that it does get cold in winter, and does snow. The city is very car dependent which is good for me = more cars to fix. The community is similar to Miami in that it is a giant melting pot, and the Latino community, and influence is big. It is a big thriving metropolis, like Miami. I'm a city boy, and move at a city pace. No country living for me. I'm a major Cowboys fan. Knowing I can attend a Dallas game on any given Sunday is very appealing to me. On the downside, relocating would mean giving up my customer base, which is hard, but not impossible. I am actually very good at what I do, and good mechanics are hard to find as they say. I am a water and beach lover, and I have understood there is no such thing as beaches in Dallas lol.

I have done some research on the city, and have gotten feedback from some customers of mine who have personal experience there. They claim that a young, go-getter individual with my skill set can quickly get comfortable in Dallas. They also told me that Dallas is home to some lakes, that rival some South Florida beaches, and if salt water is a must, FW is just an hour or so away, and home to some great beaches. So what say the wonderful natives of Dallas? Would an enthusiastic, automobile lover who loves what he does, and is very good at it have a future in a city like Dallas?

P.S. The Cowboys just threw up a stinker against the Giants. SMH! Gave the game away.

Good night.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 12:43 AM

2,084 posts, read 2,451,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx Star Auto View Post
Hey gang, as the title states, how is the Dallas economy?
Good

How friendly is the community and resources for small business owners?
Rewards the good, punishes the bad or aimless.

How competitive is the market?
Lots of mechanic shops in my area (Oak Lawn)

How high is the cost of living?
Totally depends on the lifestyle you want. I'm actually looking at moving to Fort Lauderdale, and I'd say the neighborhoods I like there are similarly priced to where I live here. The nice neighborhoods in Miami are WAY more expensive than the nice neighborhoods in Dallas though. My cousin just moved to a suburb down there and the nicer suburbs of Miami also seem WAY more expensive than the ones here. I think you will come out ahead in housing cost.

A little background info on me. I'm a South Florida native (Miami) and have been considering moving, and starting up elsewhere. I love Miami for its weather, beaches, beautiful ppl, and cultural influences, but it is getting ridiculously expensive to live here. The cost of living is just too high.
Dallas is very different compared to South Florida. I like both, but they are so different.

Miami is known as the playground for the rich and it shows. The city better caters to those who are wealthy, or already financially established.
I've seen lots of bad areas there too. There seems to be a much smaller middle class there.

I am a Hispanic male, 32, no kids. I am an automotive technician that specializes on German brand cars, though really, I can fix any car. I have been independent, and mobile for 2 years, and have finally decided to take the official plunge and become a full fledged repair center. Dallas appeals to me for several reasons: it is similar to Miami in weather, tho I have it understood, that it does get cold in winter, and does snow.
Lots of German cars here! Sometimes it seems like everyone in Dallas has one. The climate and weather is a lot different here. Take a look:

It's HOT! It's COLD! It's WINDY! It's DRY! It's WET! It's OUR Weather!

The city is very car dependent which is good for me = more cars to fix. The community is similar to Miami in that it is a giant melting pot, and the Latino community, and influence is big.
The Latino community here is mainly Mexican. They seem very different than the Cubans in South Florida. I only know a handful of Cubans here, but one was my next door neighbor and best friend growing up.

It is a big thriving metropolis, like Miami. I'm a city boy, and move at a city pace. No country living for me.
The nice urban core neighborhoods in Dallas are fairly expensive for the area. Expect to pay at least a $1000 a month for a descent sized one bedroom. That's still a lot cheaper than the nice neighborhoods in Miami. Uptown is the most popular, it's sort of like Brickell in Miami or downtown Fort Lauderdale/Las Olas.

I'm a major Cowboys fan. Knowing I can attend a Dallas game on any given Sunday is very appealing to me.
Good

On the downside, relocating would mean giving up my customer base, which is hard, but not impossible. I am actually very good at what I do, and good mechanics are hard to find as they say. I am a water and beach lover, and I have understood there is no such thing as beaches in Dallas lol. I have done some research on the city, and have gotten feedback from some customers of mine who have personal experience there. They claim that a young, go-getter individual with my skill set can quickly get comfortable in Dallas. They also told me that Dallas is home to some lakes, that rival some South Florida beaches, and if salt water is a must, FW is just an hour or so away, and home to some great beaches. So what say the wonderful natives of Dallas? Would an enthusiastic, automobile lover who loves what he does, and is very good at it have a future in a city like Dallas?
The lakes here don't compare to the beaches in South Florida at all.

P.S. The Cowboys just threw up a stinker against the Giants. SMH! Gave the game away.

Good night.
Response in blue

Old 09-14-2015, 09:11 AM

2,172 posts, read 4,255,059 times
I moved from South Florida to North Texas and whoever told you that were any bodies of water here that can compare to the beaches in Florida must have been playing a prank. Because, no. The lakes are a poor substitute.

The closest ocean beach is 4-5 hours by car on the Gulf but Texas Gulf Coast beaches can't compare to Florida Gulf Coast beaches.

As for the Latino community, it has a very different feel from Miami. In South Florida, it's primarily Caribbean, Central and South American (including Portuguese-speaking Brazilians), here it's primarily Mexican-American and Central American. From food to music to politics, it's a very different vibe. There's not a lot of great Cuban food in Dallas for example and good luck finding Brazilian food that's not one of the mega-meat emporiums. And Latinos in North Texas don't have as many hands on the levers of power in terms of being a part of the civic ruling elite as in Miami.

And, if you're night owl, things pretty much shut down at 2 a.m. -- not 5 a.m. or 8 a.m. like some spots in downtown Miami or Miami Beach.

As for everything else, you should be fine. It's very much a car culture and, like in South Florida, there are lots of people with money (or, at least, act like they have money) who like to show off in their rides. The Uptown crowd corresponds to what you might find in Brickell or Lincoln Road. And there are other neighborhood equivalents: Deep Ellum is a bit like Wynwood. Highland Park is Coral Gables without palm trees.

Though prices for real estate are climbing, it's probably still cheaper than Miami overall so you'd probably be financially better off once you find your niche and your footing.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:04 PM

200 posts, read 533,634 times
I recently moved from Florida and the main thing I miss is the beach :-( but other than that, I haven't looked back! People frequent lakes here (not the same).

The economy here seems to be far from what has happened or did happen to Florida. I left my clientele too but its worked out fine. It is more competitive here, but there's a larger pool to service and I feel like it keeps me alive!

Old 09-16-2015, 08:58 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,300,019 times
Great beaches in Fort Worth??? Really??? Your "friends" are either messing with you, or are complete morons. Sorry.

Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM

46 posts, read 170,892 times
I am just now moving to Dallas so can't help you there, but will mention that you should check into St. Louis. They have a super strong startup community right now with a lot of resources and an organized group of people. Several things like the CIC, Venture Cafe, Arch Grants...etc. Also, St. Louis has some of the lowest cost of living in the country. You need to be careful about where you live, but there are a lot of great options. It's worth consideration if your goal is to start a company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or