Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2015, 05:32 PM

50 posts, read 226,529 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be based for work in Dallas, but can't afford much. I'm looking for something no more than $1000/month utilities included, and must be furnished.
I'll be coming and going from the airport so either want to be close to DFW, or within walking distance of a DART line since initially I won't have a car.
Thanks for any leads....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 06:04 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
You aren't going to find many (if any) furnished apartments in your budget. That just isn't common here. The big corporate temporary housing rental companies like Oakwood Leasing offer it, but those will be way out of your budget. Utilities are also rarely pre-packaged into your rent. In fact, I can't remember the last time I saw a place offering that. Without a car your options are limited to areas very close to a DART rail station, unless your ok with lots of bus connections, which may or may not correspond to your work schedule.

I would search Craigslist for furnishing essentials or furniture outlet stores for deals. Otherwise, you'll need to rent your furniture or finance something you really like.

The Lake Carolyn area of Irving would be close for work, and has a DART rail stop, but it doesn't offer any necessities like a full grocery store within easy walking distance. I'm also not sure if there's anything within your budget there.

Access to mass transit increases the rental rates, so The only area that meets all your specific needs, and is in your budget would be around the Inwood DART station in Dallas.

https://www.renttownesquare.com/

^
Free Dish Network. Residents mainly work in the Medical District or Southwest. Some on here say that area is sketchy, but they're wrong.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 PM

8,144 posts, read 8,338,067 times
The Sterling Hotel offers furnished rooms for about $700 month with a 3-month lease. And there are many other Extended Stay Hotels with suites you might also research. Look around Las Colinas.

Here's a link to the Sterling http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/sub/5221253064.html

Old 09-16-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
The Sterling Hotel offers furnished rooms for about $700 month with a 3-month lease. And there are many other Extended Stay Hotels with suites you might also research. Look around Las Colinas.

Here's a link to the Sterling $175 per week + tax ALL BILLS PAID
No way to get to work from there, and those types of places are known for drugs and prostitution.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sterling-hotel-of-dallas-dallas

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 09-16-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 06:55 PM

Oh, I didn't understand that the OP would not have a vehicle. There are extended stay hotels in Las Colinas near the North Lake College DART rail stop that goes to the airport. That area is very low crime. In addition to the Irving police, there is a Las Colinas police force. Very safe area.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't understand that the OP would not have a vehicle. There are extended stay hotels in Las Colinas near the North Lake College DART rail stop that goes to the airport. That area is very low crime. In addition to the Irving police, there is a Las Colinas police force. Very safe area.
I don't see a single extended stay within walking distance of a DART rail stop....

They couldn't afford the land to build them there.

Plus, I wouldn't recommend any extended stay place to anyone unless they were desperate or only going to be here for a very short term. Almost all of them attract criminals. Sure, there may be exceptions, but why on earth take that risk? Almost all of them have horrible reviews for good reason. They're gross and have become a dumping ground for people who can't qualify for an apartment. Most of the people that stay there are on the verge of homelessness because of their drug dependency.

http://cityhallblog.dallasnews.com/2...ity-hall.html/

Old 09-16-2015, 07:53 PM

Both Extended Stay America and Homewood Suites are walkable to the North Lake Station. Most of the people who stay there are in Las Colinas for training, relocation or business.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Both Extended Stay America and Homewood Suites are walkable to the North Lake Station. Most of the people who stay there are in Las Colinas for training, relocation or business.
I'm not sure why you keep recommending motels far away from transit, when the OP asked for apartment recommendations near transportation...

I don't see a Homewood Suites anywhere near that station. The one that comes up is a 20-minute walk to the nearest DART station, where you have to cross major roads, and parts of the path is without sidewalks. It's also far from an actual grocery store. Bad suggestion for someone without a car...

Extended Stay America is only a 16 minute walk but along an even busier road. Here's a review about the place:

Quote:
We opened the door, and were confronted with a stench, and their clothes strewn about. Our second room, smelled of sewage. As the night went on, the odor changed from urine, to fecal matter. This was on top of the dead bugs in the corners, left over debris from former guests, and general run down nature of the hotel.

Extended Stay America - Dallas - Las Colinas - Carnaby St. (Irving, TX) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM

I lived in the area for over 10 years. It is very walkable and all the streets have wide sidewalks. i have made the walk between that area and the NorthLake station dozens of times. 15 minutes! I would love for you to find excellent reviews for a place for the OP on his budget. Las Colinas is extremely safe. Both Kroger and Tom Thumb are a 10 min bicycle ride and are also on the bus line on MacArthur. There is also a bus between the North Lake Station and Tj Park right by Homewood Suites.

I have seen good reviews for Extended Stay America, too, as well as poor ones.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:32 AM

50 posts, read 226,529 times
Looking on craigslist, I saw ad an for something called 30daystays.com
175 a week, all included. However their website has no address and is vague about the location- phone calls go straight to voicemail. Seems strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas